1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

My Astro City Project

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Revenger, Apr 14, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

One of the main goals was to make this modular and able to seperate etc as needed.
    I think I may go with 4 inserts for stability being laid down on movement 2 would be a bit weak for that but fine if its upright.

I got the metal sheet for the transformer on monday marked it for cutting yesturday, how would I cut this?
    Also need to figure out a cushioning under the transformer ideas?

In a week and half my goal is to start making the gameboard shelves so thats some motivation to get me going on current stuff.

After that is mounting the gameboards and wiring and finishing the CP, mounting the fluro which is ready to go.
    Will be a bit for more cable sleeving to arrive but that can be done whenever it gets here.

Then its at least somewhat playable and 'basically' complete.

And after that doing the admin panel, switchboard and extras which could take a while.

So prediction is this will be playable soonish I hope.

Also anyone got any ideas how I can fix up the marquee colouring the black paint?

The progress in third post need updating I will do that now, 'done' not much changes with progress report its mostly all 'In progress'.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    sammy_b0i, BlueRaven and adz like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Cut the metal for the transformer and terminal block mounting today.
    Tried to replace pop rivits but no go so ordered some longer ones on eBay $2.5 for 90 3.2 x 18 ordered 2 packs will have to wait for them to get here before continuing as I am going to do one corner at a time to get it right.

Also got Steel Kneed It and trying that on the metal threads for the speakers making the first rough mold now then will drill and do the inner thread as two kneed its broke already on that speaker so thought Id try something stronger, if the steel kneed it fails I don't know any suggestions?

I could just make a new speaker housing with my 3d printer but if I can find something to bond to the plastic of the original that's all I need than going that far.

MVIMG_20220512_183258-01.jpeg

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  3. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Guess people want a update on what is going on.
    Well not much unfortunately.

I had planned to do more work then my place became a cleaning mess I'm still trying to work out and have decided to overhaul some of it as per my thread on that.
    And organising stuff is a nightmare when you realise you need more storage spaces, shelves, boxes etc etc to do it properly.
    So not much space to pull it out currently plus.

I now have Covid which I've managed to avoid until now, whether from the convention or just before don't know, so that's a stopper doing much physical work.

Also I may have mentioned I'll get a bunch of money soonish from a advance on my government payments, so that will help get more stuff bought as I've been tight the last few weeks.

So once I am over Covid and feeling better, cleaned up a bit around here and finish photos of the convention, this will move forward as well as my 3D printer which doesn't need any funds thrown at it, just the space and time to do upgrades.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    sammy_b0i likes this.
  4. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Forget the nerd projects for now mate, focus on your health first eh. ;)
    Hope you feel better soon man.

Revenger likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I was talking to BlueRaven in messages about that I want to start doing videos and didn't really know what content to do.

He suggested I start with a summary overview of my arcade cabinet about where I'm at, how I come to make decisions I have etc.

As a lot of you know I am pretty picky about how to do things with this project and have my reasonings for.

So I would love to take you all on a journey on how those decisions come about and are implemented.

So if there's anything you want to see in such a video feel free to post here or pm me if you don't want to mention it publicly but want me to discuss something in the video.

I'll be loosely making points to go on and will be done over the next month or so casually.

As I'm just starting content creation it's taking me a while to get started as I experiment, learn and have motivation, energy and not battling a backlog of things like photos to process for conventions, cleaning etc.

But I am keen to show you a video update where I'm at and discussing stuff rather than you guys reading wall of texts.

Trizae, sammy_b0i, BlueRaven and 2 others like this.
  6. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Nice one mate. :D
    I'll have a think about a few things re. suggestions for specific points about the project that you might want to discuss.
    Originally we got chatting regarding the control circuitry for the multi-colour LED switches on the admin panel to indicate various modes.
    That could be a cool visual/technical aspect to talk about, and the whole admin panel idea in general.

7. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I'd watch this!

8. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Yea would be cool to do a discussion later about the buttons for the admin panel but it's not in the build currently until I get this 'basically' built and running as I don't know how to do that circuit yet haha and need help from someone who knows electronics.
    So for now I'll focus on the current state and future plans will be touched on once I do the video.

Awaiting a Sony ZV-E10 which will be here mid next month, so I'll do the video then, bought from a place that needed to do a special order but they are giving a free basic mic with the camera I can use as a secondary or testing or whatever as I have my Rode Video Mic Pro to use as my main.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022