1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

My Astro City Project

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Revenger, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Sledge

Sledge Member

yeah i've been following this build, but because i don't know anything about what you're doing i don't comment.
    I've never done what you're doing, i've only modified cabs and left the internals as they are.
    But you need to do what's right for yourself, if that means letting this go for a while then so be it.

2. partybear

partybear Member

It's just a video game man don't take it too seriously.

3. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I get what you all are saying it's not about the project itself and I don't believe the actual project itself is causing me issues.

The thing is when I do go to dad's he instantly puts on this frustrated thing and starts up the whole 'I don't know what you're doing' and starts telling me I'm causing issues and making things hard etc.
    Also the the fact he doesn't know gets him gets stressed out when we go through something he gets annoyed when I tell him things are needed for x purpose etc and sometimes doesn't seem to understand and gets frustrated or have different thoughts which aren't too integrated design like originally drill a hole underneath the control panel or in the back for stuff or something when I take a objective look at everything for the best places to make thing natural looking etc and natural use of connectors.

Mainly the thing is I just want to go to his place and have him happy and cooperative and just get on and work with him being respected etc without all the bickering which would be easier if he understood what we and I are doing and my views on things then having to re explain things and what I'm trying to do and achieve every single time as there are things he can help with or do if i'm feeling a little quieter etc.

But as said I instantly get there and he starts going on about stuff being frustrated and how it's causing him issues with me getting him to help me and how he has no idea whats going on despite doing hand diagrams etc and me constantly trying to explain it to him.

I just want someone who understands where I'm / where at and what is the current work and stuff we're doing is and to be happy and responsive without feeling or wanting to be negative about it all.

The project itself is not an issue for me, in fact doing the project is something that's been keeping me going and looking forward to doing over the last few months despite this forum its an achievement for myself I want to complete and keeps my brain focused on something other than other issues as a previous update explained it actually made me feel better one day doing some work. Just as MUTMAN says.

It's more the fact of the fact when I get there he puts on a excuse the term grumpy negativity hat which feels half just because its my project so to say and he wants to be dificult just because.

Basically I just want to get there and work with him equally with him knowing what's going on at least what is expected of someone working along side. I know he cant read minds and I know he doesn't know anything and i never suggested as much he brought that up in his frustration thing, but at least the current area we are working on what we did last time and why we are doing it is a start and acknowledgment he is taking an interest.

I don't want to bring another person on this forum into this conversation and stuff and haven't mentioned anything, but one the girls on here I have known as someone I meet at a meet years ago and who has read a couple of my threads over the years since has kinda in a small way taken me under a wing in a small way when everyone else hasn't and I appreciate this soo much as it's something I wouldn't otherwise have, I won't name the person on here and put them in the spotlight out of respect, unless they want, but it does mean a lot and I plan to cosplay with this person next year hopfully which should help some of my issues I'm going through as some of it relates all back to the anime, cosplay scene and what's happened since with my luck and emotions etc.

Reason I'm touching on it here is just that I thought over the last day it the cosplay stuff is a project we are doing together and is similar to my Arcade one in some ways, but instead being cosplay, now the thing is I wouldn't be saying the stuff to her like I don't know what we are doing we are putting and gluing stuff together in a kinda shape I don't know etc each time I see her, that would just be plain rude to her.

I may not know how she plans or is planning for us to do some things and everything she is thinking about and her to me also, the fact we are working together, I know what we are doing what we last did and the current area we are currently focusing on and a basic process on what we need to do from here onwards to get the cosplays completed the rest is both of us figuring it out along the way.

Thats what I kinda expect others when helping me also and isn't much to ask for.

I know this means and was told by someone last night that I need to sit down before I plan to do anymore work or planning and discuss things with my dad to try to get him understanding that saying certain things and acting a certain way hurts and upsets me especially when there are other things affecting me, let's face it it's a bit rude and hurtful for someone to start ripping on you as soon as you say 1 thing familly or not aside no matter what project or thing it is.
    And to sit down and discuss exactly what I ask of him and how to achieve that so he understands and is content and won't start going off at the slightest thing with all the negativity talk and stuff.

Quote of a bit of message I received last night from someone online, not this forum.

I know it's harder said than done to do this, especially if he does the whole here we go defensive thing most people seem to do, but it's a way forward is any case, as I can't have him saying certain things and acting a certain slightly negative you're causing issues way, every single time I come to work on the project.

I just want to get on with it take my mind of my other issues and have some progress doing it in a calm state and he needs to also contribute towards that state.

Grant above suggested: I gather/bring all the stuff here and do it myself when I am able to do certain things and try to move forward I think.
    Thing is I need would need quite a few tools in order to do some things, I would think most of the stuff I can do myself just stuff like fabricating the back and admin panels would be 100 times harder to do on my own especially as I don't have the tools.

I have half considered if its worth just telling him to bring all my stuff here and forget working on it with me because he gets frustrated and keeps doing the 'I don't know anything' line even after I explain to him in minute detail like last time draw a box x width and x length, this box is the back panel for power and outputs, now draw another box at x width and x size inside that box is a Australian wall plate with a keystone jack for the back panel for 6 outputs for various things like network etc, now how much space x width and x length do we have under that space left in the back panel for things, now this is the power socket I want fit those dimensions (brings up pdf manufacturer info) that into the space you just gave me, how much is now left after that socket is added.
    And yes I actually did that way saying it that basic last time on every single thing we went though to try to get him to understand that this box was for this this box inside he drew was this component.

Sledge: I understand that you don't know how to build a cabinet like I'm doing from scratch, its fine mate don't need to apologize its expected.

I know what I am doing is a level above most other projects and stuff the reason initially was I didn't have a understanding of the video connector for a start or knowledge on it which was the first hurdle as well as as working out the monitor specs as I needed them to stop myself / us continually blowing up the monitor from using the wrong input.

Also all the little things like my ps2 converter I got being a slightly non standard jamma pinnout etc.
    Also I want to do multiple things so I need to know what I am doing there with stereo or surround sound wiring, how to replace and put in the new coin slot, bridge off service buttons in the harness for the admin panel etc etc.
    So its a chance for me to learn everything and share for you all for your own knowledge how one customises an Arcade system.

Most of this people with cabs know, but don't share or fully understand some stuff which I want to know this stuff so I can stop myself blowing stuff up and wiring it all the wrong way.
    As such I even had to update the Arcade Otaku Wiki for a couple JST connectors that weren't listed that are common arcade gear and where to get both the plugs and sockets for one other etc.

MUTMAN: This is something most people will find about me, I am open and honest about everything including how I'm feeling unless I'm closed up, sometimes a bit too much about things even if it may hurt me in some areas and I try to be true to my feelings and help and support others where I can.
    I know that comes as a shock to some people but ultimately I am who I am flaws and all and people should see me and all the struggles I go through to try to achieve something, I want people to know how my life is and what happens.
    I also feel I have nothing to hide it's up to people if they want to know me or not.

In fact there's a lot about me that if anyone wants to know just send an pm here and ask stuff my fav music etc you may be surprised, I will pretty much answer any question no matter how personal it is and I do mean that.

badmofo: I know there's no bad ill and stuff just I like to be acknowledged I'm doing something people are taking interest in and I don't know how many are taking interest and stuff unless they tell me even if they don't reply every time it's nice to know there are some people are reading and finding my worklog a good project etc.

It's like making a blog with no replies, but on OCAU we can't see the number of subscribers on a topic as a normal user so I have no idea apart from a just over 5k view count on this thread and I don't know how many are quick hit and runs so to say or even who is talking or linking this stuff I'm doing and of its benefiting others.

Facebook has a kinda likes system to try to solve this, twitter uses there new statistics area, and some forums use rep or likes etc to show support for users also but we don't use anything here and the staff don't seem interested thinking itll be more problematic than benefit as there have been multiple discussions even fairly recently on it in the site discussions forum usually after a while they get locked for bickering.

partybear: not really a totally helpful comment as such it's a project and like all projects needs work to be done on it to a certain standard and respect amongst people, someone had to design the cabinet originally.

The actual work I'm fine with its just my dads latest attitudes and stuff and one could say he isn't taking it seriously either and as such not remembering anything we are doing and how to do things so goes all ways.

This is a hobby yes and its a casual hobby project but still needs people to act and respect each other accordingly.

Also as for those talking about sorting my other stuff out the stuff making me crack etc, is hard I've been through counselors, doctors, medication etc in the past for my depression and anxiety the fact is even if I try most people do not seem interested in knowing or having anything to do with me to the point I stopped knowing my friends and been a year until last couple months mostly friendless, when they told me direct they 'only wanted to do their own things and went interested in anything I wanted to do' unless it was them asking.

Counselors can't help me keep friends and make other people want to know and do things with me, they can help me myself think through things and respond better but in the end everyone is still going to act how they are going to act towards you.

I need to get out and do things socially which is the biggest thing that with help how I'm feeling right now and will with anyone when given a chance from movies, bowling, cafes, whatever it is, but counselors can't change the fact other people aren't really interested in knowing or keeping in contact with me and my luck etc leaving me always doing everything I want to do alone no matter how much I try to change myself, counselors also can't make the people on OCAU respond to my posts more either, only those reading this can make that decision themselves and it should be respected by everyone.

Sledge along with others know of couple of experiences exactly like what I just wrote this year that happened.

As for groups and clubs they don't really work in some ways as I was part of youth groups etc before and all groups feel like what happens socially in the group stays in the group, of I missed a week or a few with no one contacting me, most people weren't interested in knowing me outside of the group etc and once I stopped going that was pretty much it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  4. Grant

Grant Member

Well I hope you keep working through it, OCAU's still here and while you might not get deep and meaningful relationships from an online forum, there will still always be a good mix of friendly people and bastard trolls :thumbup:

I'd still suggest you keep trying with doctors and medication, the fact that you mentioned the not being able to get out of bed thing, that's a physical symptom similar to if you had virus that was causing it. It takes a lot of work and persistence to diagnose and treat properly though (and doctors can be lazy and seem like a brick wall too), but even if you never find a physical treatment, just continuing to look for one is a tiny little positive mental state to have.

In terms of the project, I was suggesting just keeping it in a frozen state, if you don't have the tools and can't work on it then then don't. One day down the line if you decide to return to it, you may be in a position to buy or hire the tools yourself, or get them from family or other people, but you can just leave the project half finished for now - this kind of project is about the journey, not the destination.

5. lupin

lupin Member

Mate don't stress over the lack of replies on here, your doing a good job with restoring that thing. It now in much better condition than my astro will ever be, so keep at it.

:thumbup:

6. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah i WISH mine looked as good as yours does already!

7. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Cheers for all the support guys it's great to know what I'm doing is appreciated by others really do mean it even if I may rant about it a and ask a little for this feedback occasionally.

I'm just trying to do something despite all my issues and want to achieve one thing I can hopefully be proud off that I kept at it despite everything I'm going through, even if I had heeps of family help which does mean so much to me it really does.

Things may or should hopefully be a little better with this project from now.

To start I know it's not a race in fact this could have been completed by now if it was and at my place I would be working a lot more on it, but it's at dad's where the tools and stuff are and someone that can help.

Anyway got a call from him, he was still frustrated at the beginning and got a little defensive then kinda shut up and let me talk and he started to understand my view and stuff and what he did wrong with how he was which kinda hurt me and I explained I understand his position also, also related stuff all ways so he saw that I was looking at things if I did what he did to him and the person I'm working on cosplays with and what is the best way to sort out and diffuse a situation with me etc.

Also that the stuff he said there are other less frustrating or picky ways to say something like what are we doing today and to show you understand what's been done to the current point in question, that shows interest and ones current level of following along etc.

I am pretty deep with this stuff if you know the type of some of the posts I have done here on things and have always been in touch with this kind of thing about me and knowing the if I did this myself to someone thing.
    A lot of people don't look at things from the other angle like I do at times, but this is the stuff that makes me who I am.

Anyway he understands now that saying certain things and him working himself up so to say made things worse, I've said it to others, that he has scaring from a operation on his emotion side of the brain which does under certain health etc things can be more affected at times like during the week.

I told him before we do anymore work or planning we need to sit down and go through what's and why's and how's with the Arcade system etc so he fully understands the basics even if he already knows them, on what I want to achieve, why I want to achieve it and how I / we plan to achieve it. It also helps to clear the air and get into the same page do to say.

With all the in-between stuff why I chose certain stores, why I chose certain products and the reasons why I may not take all his suggestions and why I want us to do the things the way I hope we can do them.

This cabinet ultimately is designed for multiple purposes more so then a standard or specific refurb cab with having consoles in it also, which according to Elvis on other threads and what I've read around, some cabinets have been gutted and striped and hacked up to retro fit something they were never designed to do as a specific purpose which ruins the native jamma ways, street fighter 4 seems a common term slung around on these types of cabinets.

This seems the common thing for arcades and mby even home users from what I read.

I want to ultimately keep all jamma standards, fit a ps2 that's slightly non jamma, keep all wiring and new wiring standardised on AMP-UP where I can, which is native to the cabinet and not have mixed wiring and fit in home usability controls aka the admin panel that can be nativity compatible to anything connected up, with things looking like it's a manufactured or aftermarket proper manufactured mod than a DIY job, as well as back panel to be the same with new technology that's now standardised like network port USB and other ports like hdmi etc using the proper and quality products and designs that are used and feel right to the overall design.

I'm doing loads of research as you know to do this and mostly I believe the design asthetics are showing in that already from my plans and discussions here.

Also helps having and getting a cabinet in the shape I did, as you need to source certain parts anyway like the entire control panel insert and all the buttons and wiring etc you are going to need and coin slot systems as well as figure out monitor wiring and specs and other things like sound etc.

So why not do that extra work when you are already doing quite a bit to make the end experience more home user friendly for multiple purposes.

Beats making an frankencab on that crapmame site and spewing buttons and connectors aka USB and other sockets and whatever stuff randomly everywhere.

Ultimately with my dad he is happy he called and chatted to me and knows the stuff I was feeling and what I don't like him saying and acting etc and hopefully this can stuff now is easier as It's made him realise he needs to pay a little more attention to certain things.

Hopefully the next main update will be in a better light with progress again.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Not a difficult thing to do. Most consoles of that era support 15KHz RGB out, and can be amped easily to the right voltages to be JAMMA compatible. Plenty of guides around on the Internets.

If you're lazy/nervous, there's a number of console-to-JAMMA and SCART-to-JAMMA adaptors on eBay and various Chinese arcade sites as well. You can typically pick these up for $50 or so, which is much more expensive than parts, but cheaper than blowing up your cabinet. :)

The advantage of doing it this way is that you can keep the cabinet JAMMA friendly, and switch out between real JAMMA games, MAME and a console easily.

9. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

A late update to say there is no update and my life has dramatically changed and other things have been a focus for now.

Thanks for the support guys and the reply from Elvis I never replied back to as most of that I had worked out above in some form but good for the double confirmation about it all.

I will get around to working on my cab again mby in the new year and I could have worked on it more the last couple months but have been really unmotivated with this project as another part of my life took major focus and that's been my whole focus.

After last message I sent things with dad have been ok but the real change came randomly out of nowhere at the exact same time which just turned my life 180, inside out, flipped me upside down or whatever want to say.

Basically right at my last message I met a girl very randomly online at the moment everything fell apart. We connected really fast and she became and is my first girlfriend ever in my life.

It hasn't been without struggles and issues for both of us, with our pasts and expectations and for both of us our own mental illness stuff we have to try to support each other through.

She is a wonderful person and I'm extremely glad to have her in my life at the moment given my past ongoing social history.

Basically I lost interest and motivation in my cab and doing anything else when I'm not around her, things like gaming etc as a result of her always on my mind.
    Also as well I haven't really been able to purchase the stuff to put in as my money has gone on supporting her where I can, taking her out and helping with her car etc and being overall nice with everything as I pay for nearly everything we do together, its who I am with everyone as well as open all doors for her where I can etc etc etc.

So yea if anyone is wondering about my project here are the reasons.

I do plan to get this cab finished one day and I now have someone to play it with once it is done. When I will do more planning on it I don't know, its when I feel things have stabalised enough with this current life change I assume.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

well, not the best outcome for us and the cab :lol:

seriously though, i'm happy for you man. its amazing what a nice person can add to your soul :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Yea not the best outcome for the cab or the forum but hey nearly 33 years single and I finally meet someone.

My G+ has a few pics of us but was told I shouldn't link it by someone here, but happy to share on request to most people.

Anyway since last major update a couple months back and now all I've done is a a few plans of designs, fightstick and panels.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

I did a mockup today of a couple ideas for the back panel with power socket and the admin panel which appears I have heaps of space but remember theres a catch lid and everything needs to be accessible to fingers as its all to scale.

The headphone and volume knob aren't to scale but thats roughly where they are going to go about there.

So design 1 or 2 for power keystone jack or a variation with the socket on left/right upside down etc?
    Design 1 I can use the warning space and the area above the power socket in design 2 for more stuff later, thought it would be fun to shop the original warning sticker on it.

Keystone jack I don't know exactly what I want apart from Network/USB the other 4 ports are up for ideas.

Click to view full size!

Still got to do all the wiring diagrams for every single thing before I can start purchasing stuff, which will be fun and confusing for me and one of the reasons why it kinda stalled and I lost motivation.

I also got in touch with Noodleshirt about the CP out of interest as thats probably the first thing I want to get, but he has stopped making them for now and has no idea if he will make anymore.
    I know you can get generic 2L12B from Giz10P but they are like $250AUD. Also I don't know if there are CAD designs available to make one yourself.
    Also I want the a 2L16B panel, I do have a full size scan of one downloaded which may help me out.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I saw the G+ pics :cool:
    and im glad someone got you to take down the link too :thumbup:

13. Kie

Kie Member

Girls are indeed massively time consuming, especially at the beginning of a relationship. Hopefully everything works out for both the G+ and the cabinet!

14. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Yea know what you guys mean about girls, they are time consuming not just physically as in actual time one spends with them but emotional and motivation time also.

Things in that area I won't get into too much but I'm dealing with someone constantly trying to pull away where most people would have given up and moved on by now.
    This is one of the things and issues we both have in a way especially her.

As for the cabinet I've been feeling a little more motivated last couple weeks and done some major planning.

I rewrote the google sheets parts list with 3 tabs, first tab is all the parts I'm going to be getting broken down into sections everything is sectioned into all the different functions which is much easier to read from how it originally was as it was roughly grouped into areas, I got confused reading it a couple times so descriptions are on it for what the function of that part is.

Tab 2 is nearly properly done now, a tally of total amounts of parts I need to get and company names I don't know how to show and add up prices so if anyone knows feel free to take a look and message me.

Tab 3 is a reference tab for AMP connectors.
    For those with a Candy cab RS carry every AMP-UP except these: 1 pin both male / female, 3 pin male and 10 pin both male and female. Giz10P still stock these if you need them for AUX connectors etc.
    For 6 pin female RS stock the 176294 version which is a newer connector of the older listed 176285 on arcade otaku wiki and compatible to the male 176274 shell.
    RS also carry both sets of pins male and female.

That makes buying the amps easier, the amp codes are listed officially from TE connectivity with a -(Num) at the end being part of the part number, being 1-9 all this represents is the color code of the housing.

I have most of the extra wiring worked out now, I need to draw the schematics properly up as its just hand drawn on multiple sheets of paper, I'll look at starting later today. May upload my extra wiring schematics once I have them done later if people want them for reference or using themselves.
    All the extra wiring is basically its own equivalent of the Jamma harness on its own, were looking:
    50-70 or so extra wires on its own harness.
    3 or so breakout adapters for various bridged functions to the Jamma and AUX harness.
    1 80+ pin connector to be the system board harness 2 connector (More pins than the Jamma edge connector)

All bridges between the Jamma, AUX and second harness will be done using the standard amp connectors with the females on the original harness side close to the harness.
    This gets rid of the those unknown DIY solder breakouts with long wires going random places we all know about in these harnesses and this way makes the extension neater and not a hack job. Also makes all the wiring look official and can be just disconnected at the plug without affecting the original harness and functionality.
    The only breakout in the harness itself is a 10 pin one for sound, coin, service, test. The other is the player 4/5 buttons on the control side.

There will be a break-in box on the systems side with a single connector for harness 2 from the systems without having to swap 5 auxiliary connectors over per system which will break out to AMP's to the harness 2 sub lines.

Not only have I been planning I have done some purchases as I got all the stuff for the back panel and all the keystone inserts I need and updated post 3 to reflect this.
    The back panel alone came to about $70 for just a power socket keystone panel and 4 jacks of things.
    I did toy with getting the stuff I can at RS for the admin panel but that is going to be at least $100 for that area with the AMPS.
    Also toyed with getting what I could at Giz10P as I want a white coin slot cover but need to know exactly what I want before I do with 10 pin connectors etc due to minimum order and shipping costs etc.

So at this stage I am 100% able to make the back panel and mount the main components on it now, my dad has a big sheet of Aluminium with one side protected which will be ideal.

I also initially looked around for anyplace I can get a 2L16B panel made as I know some of you have found getting panels a bit hard to do but decided in the end with costs of getting a custom panel made to go ahead and build it myself and have all the templates and scans downloaded.

However if anyone here needs or wants a new standard 2L12B panel at a good cost Jasens Customs are making them at $99.95 USD with the Blast, Astro or Naomi overlays with $41.35 USD shipping.

Talking to Jasen he could have modified his 2L12B cnc process templates to accommodate the 2 extra buttons per player but unfortunately costs would have been about $200USD.

As a result I found the Sanwa JLF-S mounting plate on Arcade Spare Parts part of Highway Group, shipping out of Hong Kong so went and ordered 2 of them, I toyed with the idea of making them also but its easier to have the proper plate. they differ from the included / standard JLF mounting as they mount under the panel and are a ┐_┌ U shape which are used on these cabs.

Also my overall cost has passed the 1K mark and this thread is getting loads of views from the net it seems.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  15. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Worklog Update

A update to the actual work being done.
    Back panel is being constructed.

First off the stuff I bought for it with a couple JLF-S mounting plates.

Click to view full size!

My dad had rough markings of the space so he cut the back roughly to start with.
    We used aluminium the old back was Steel.
    What do you guys recommend for quicker cutting stuff properly squared in the future?

Click to view full size!

Here we are about to dismantle the old back panel for getting and marking the screw holes on the new one.

Old bits will be reused obviously and mounted neatly in a box just inside the back. Everything will be neatly placed inside the cab, no spaghetti wiring.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

My dad drilling the screw holes, I couldn't just stand back and watch him make it himself which he tends to do with the labour stuff, so I drilled a few also and also countersunk them all.

Click to view full size!

Back panel pieces I mainly marked out.

Click to view full size!

Dad drilled holes then jigsawed it out.

Click to view full size!

We did soo much filing as the sizing for everything was off and I wasn't too happy with my dad trying to wing the squaring and placement etc it was all wonky so I got picky and got the setsquare out and started marking lines, at least it was all extra metal and not that we cut too much off.

Click to view full size!

We put screws into the old back with the new back so we could properly shape the new back, file and sand it flat as the new back was aluminium to steel was easy to file and sand down.

We went round every edge rounding it all nicely.

Click to view full size!

After result, not 100% perfect square but good enough and does the job.

Click to view full size!

Here is the new panel on the left to the old panel right.
    I have decided to paint the panel white which I will do before soon finishing it and the screw holes for the keystone and power are pilot at the moment till my dad gets some screws.

Click to view full size!

My dad is in most images as he isn't good with phones and has shaky hands.
    He does most of the labor he is like that, but I do own some of power tools we have as well as a mig welder, hand held angle grinder etc, rotary tool etc and know how to use them.

My schematic of harness 2 I would upload but its only half finished while we work out all the extra stuff audio wiring etc.

After this back panel I'll be starting to size a the CP panel from scans and printouts in a while.

He also went through al the screws checking them out over the last week and says most are fine.

If anyone has a candy cab can you tell me how the JLF-S mounting plates are done and if both player 1 and 2 mounting plates are square to the edge?

Also initial posts also updated with purchases and tags on work being done, I added a planning tag even though all items are always in planning, but for stuff thats mostly now planned.

Added a main shops I bought from and sites that could be useful link section under my purchases to give credit to those people that I get my stuff from and special people if any in that area I'll colour differently.
    Just putting it out there that if anyone was to help out I'd be happy to review stuff and give it a full testing and credit where applicable.

My Google sheets file always is gone over and updated or tweaked a few times a week as I work through designs and stuff with parts and amounts to get.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  16. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Another update.

My dad found some white enamel paint Dulux and started on the back piece, he will go a few coats and drill the screw holes etc for mounting.

Click to view full size!

Right at the start of the project I grabbed the 2L16B panel scan from the Arcade Otaku Wiki and recently the Sega templates from Slagcoin.

They both printed out perfectly to size no modification needed.
    The CP was poster printed on 3 sheets of A4 and stuck together 1-1 scale without re-sizing.

With the Mahjong panel I have for comparison.
    I'll use Mahjong as the base template obviously and reprint the 2L16B scan on photo paper so I can mark the holes.

Click to view full size!

I checked the template of the Arcade Otaku scan to Slagcoin by overlaying the paper in the afternoon sun and they match perfectly.

Click to view full size!

To store the printout I put it on the CP itself as the cabinet is always under a sheet cloth, it also gave me a chance to visualise what its going to be and finger test playing, which I don't know arcade layout placements but player 1 seems ok and natural my fingers naturally sit on the upper row on buttons the bottom row seems a bit awkward for finger resting.

Click to view full size!

Now onto a announcement I was keeping from everyone as It was still a idea and something really big.

I cant hold back anymore even though I would like to surprise you all later.

My admin buttons have gone through a massive change for the better, it's the equivalent of a a really basic not the best idea and a its nice dear thing to a something thats just wows on first impression.

My buttons are no longer those tactile switches but these Omrom B3W9 Illuminated switches. The ones I have planned to get are the Tri Colour duel Red/Green Combined for Orange version.

This has opened up many possibilities, one change being that I no longer will be limited to 6 hard wired functions with manual switching for others into the 6 switches.

With some really cool circuitry we are designing, I will now have 15 hard wired functions instantly at my disposal at 3 per switch.

These functions can be anything from turning on a PC or PS2 to the cabinet itself (if the circuit is powered before the rest of the cabinet) to even turning on a interior light for working inside the cabinet (I'll be adding regardless) and more.

If all 15 functions were hooked up to the iPac at the same time with iPac's shift function thats 30 seperate functions I can control at my fingertips from just 5 buttons.
    If I add in all the actual control panel buttons on iPac shift thats a extra 18 functions bringing me a total of 48 total functions I can map with the iPac.

Wheres the 6th admin button? you ask, its going to be a dedicated mode change button remapping the remaining 5 buttons between 3 modes.

Here is a animated gif showing how mode change works.
    Note the button seperate colour it the special mode button that shows the next mode colour and obviously changes the mode mapping.
    I accidentally did 8 buttons instead of 6 so ignore the 2 end ones the modes will still work the exact same way.

[​IMG]

Realistically I am going to assign the modes to groups of functions.

Mode 1 - Arcade admin functions like Service, Test etc
    Mode 2 - iPac or other functions menu's Mame software controls etc
    Mode 3 - Hard wired functions computer and console power etc.

But wait thats not all.

Remember my 100 pin or so Harness 2 connector I mentioned, this integrates directly into that connector which is swapped manually between devices etc, so what devices will control any of the 15 inputs can and will be swappable just like changing the game connected to the Jamma plug.

Theres also more.

What if you want to enable or disable any of the 15 input function lines individually?

Thats achievable also by a master switchboard panel with a semi matrix with led's that light up showing if the function is enabled or not and what mode is currently selected.

Doing so will not only disable the input on the master switchboard it will also disable its admin button light just for that mode.

Then theres the total seperate switch disable toggles under the cp which doesn't change at all from my initial plans except with added LED's inline now to show if they are on or off.

You think I'm nuts right all this in a home use arcade cabinet and I cant possibly achieve such a feat.

Here is a photo I took of the circuit after printing it out 6x3 taking 18 A4 pages to print it.

I have a digital schematic also I drew up but not giving that away just yet, you can beg me for that one.

My dad will design the 11 line 3 pole switch register circuit I need, I have designed the rest.

All the diodes and resisters inline and where they go I will need to work out with dad but the basic wire diagram is complete.

So behold a OCAU PIX version of the schematic
    Beg me really nicely for the computer version I drew up.

Click to view full size!

Where I go from here with the cab I still need to work out and not too sure the order in what to do things, so feel free to tell me what to focus on next if you want.

Using the Harness 2 main plug I can do extra stuff by changing the input plug that goes in like mono/stereo switching based on what devices harness 2 plug is inserted etc.

As well as mapping Jamma test and service to the admin buttons or not etc.

No other cabinet project I have found online has gone to this simplicity and super flexibility and adaptability of the end user experience.

Not only will my modifications additions and stuff be for a PC/PS2 etc they are already designed to be able to be used and adapted for anything the cabinet decides to run in the future regardless of what it is.

I feel a little like Tim Shaw and Vince, Billy Mays explaining my admin buttons

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  17. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Just awesome mate, made me go back and read your first posts again too to see what's happened since the start :thumbup::thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing even more cool stuff! :D

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

keep the updates rolling in :thumbup:

19. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Done a few purchases over the last couple days.

Bought the main connectors that go on the admin panel itself except header pins etc I will probably need to get once the circuit for that is designed.
    I'm slightly worried about the CP lock under the 100 YEN sticker if there is going to be space for it with the admin panel, this is what I'll work out, in the end the lock should work with the same key the same ways but just be different how it latches.

Bought a bunch of stuff from Giz10P in haste this morning as they only had 1 white coin entry housing left (soo many people seem to like a chrome coin entry housing, to me it seemed out of place and I wanted white as it felt more natural, but looking after this post chrome looks nice also if you can get them), think I missed a couple things like CP bolts and nuts, but should be able to get those locally from the fastener place if needed.

I also grabbed a coin reset button there, even though I have one which can be cleaned up its nice to have a new shiny one.

I'll see about cleaning the old one up really nicely we should be able to so, dunno what to do with it may post it to someone if anyone wants a coin reset button for there candy cab Blast, Astro etc.

I've also updated the google sheets massively, not only have I added quite a bit to the parts list when thinking of the other parts from the main stand out ones screws, bolts, connectors etc, I am marking purchased stuff in Green on the main sheet, I added a running total sheet being just a exact copy of the purchase list of my 3rd post that calculates the total I have spent.

I also have a purchased sheet now with the amounts I purchased grouped like the left to buy but It's unimportant compared to the whats needed grouping.

AMP Part MFR tab listing all the amp connectors 1-18 now has all the RS Component direct web links to the products, some on RS come in 2 types as mentioned earlier with a -x number code it appears some are cheaper than others, all that number is, is the color of the connector RS seems to carry -1 & -9 white and black respectively.

Sometimes the white is 30c more per connector than black and that may also be the other way round, so my parts list links to the cheaper product from RS, In the end it doesn't make a difference apart from aesthetics and one could always paint the connector or something.

Also as mentioned AMP 6 pin 176285 was superseded by part number 176295 which contains side clips now, the connector is the exact same as the males still go into it.

dieKatze88 from Arcade Otaku made a youtube vid years ago on removing pins from Male AMP connectors (I'll need to work out Female also), I bookmarked it and here it is for all you guys.

I was looking it up for my own purposes as I also plan to cable sleeve every connector, I thought about cable wrap but sleeving is better.

What I'm going to do in that regard is each connector from the AMP's to the Jamma harness will be individually de-pinned at the AMP end one at a time so not to mess anything up and sleeving run all the way down with heat-shrink at the ends, mby something over the end of the connector and heat-shrink to make it even more pretty and molded.
    Before de-pinning and sleeving obviously I will cut all the cable ties off and wipe the harness with a soapy cloth.

This will mean each line from the Jamma harness connector to wherever it goes, becomes a individual nice sleeved cable.

From there I may cable tie the bundle together in places.

I'll also do the same when I make my harness 2.

I need to work out what sleeving I need any ideas, I could get Chinese eBay sleeving, Flexo Pet or something else?
    As were all I.T geeks I'm sure many people have had experience with different sleeving products and can give useful information.

I'll update the questions later in the initial posts with all my latest ones.

My rough idea for how to build this is up based on whats needed and what the best way to go about it given whats required and aesthetics in the end would be, is in the order of.
    While building and cleaning the rest each piece up bit by bit:
    (feel to let me know on the order and stuff required)
    • Admin panel & Harness 2 + any modifications and related functionality to the cabinet itself.
    • Audio System circuitry
    • Back Panel Internal stuff
    • Start putting the wheels and other things etc on the case
    • Internal harness wiring
    • Game Systems mounting
    • CP stuff will need purchasing and building all while the above goes on

I was also thinking of building my admin panel mode switcher circuit into the coin collection box at the bottom, there's quite a lot of blank unused spaced behind the coin meter in the box itself which is totally sealed, so be a good area for a permanent circuit.
    I am tossing up on using the front above the coin meter for the master switchboard to the admin button inputs.

You can see exactly what I mean about this much wasted hidden usable space in Post #16, there is heaps of space in there for such as purpose like mine.

Also the 10 Pin Female to Female Sega AUX connector I'm going to be de-pinning it and turning it into a 12 pin for the extra button 8 on both players which will match P1 and P2 connectors as the Aux does both players 4-7 buttons and with 1 extra button per player may as well combine it into the larger connector.
    Doesn't change any actual functionality as its just a extension cable inside the cabinet. So no need worry about the 10 pin connectors, Ill keep those spare, and can create an adaptor down at the systems side if absolutely needed. Combining the button saves extra connectors and footprint.

As for how I am with my life, I'm sinking into some deep seated depression with some things, so that's why I'm diving into this cabinet and a couple other things, despite my bank balance etc, money wise I'm doing fine still, just not saving as much as I'd like, but its not doing too much overall only masking a little with how I'm feeling only when I'm buying something or doing some work and not really helping it, cause as soon as it stops I get really bad.
    I won't say too much public but PM me if you want to know a little more and have a chat (if your in Perth then bonus).

Extra: According to google chrome this thread has 219 requests transfers 3MB and loads fully for me in 19.78s and most of the loading is the pix images.
    I wonder if Agg can optimize pix inline and threading in anyway.
    Or if dropdown group boxes could be handy so the images can be in a dropdown would also reduce bandwidth on the site that way.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  20. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Got half the stuff from RS yesterday the DB25, volume knob and 3.5mm headphone socket and will get the switches, USB ports and pot later.

Reason for this post anyone know any of my questions as well have any ideas I can think about for input switching to the monitor?

Im looking at:
    • Jamma Harness
    • Ultracade
    • Direct to device (aka arcade VGA / xxxx in 1 etc)
    • Gonbes converter (planning to get sometime) - smlilar as Ultracade
    • iPac Filter board

Jamma harness is for my PS2 and to keep that functionality
    Gonbes can use Jamma harness as its only the C sync
    The Ultracade can do separated V & H sync or combined sync
    The iPac could also be tied into the Jamma harness on the parts side so the harness can change to that if needed.
    The direct through would be if I got a Arcade VGA or something used DB15 directly and didn't need a inline scaler or filter.

The Ultracade and Gonbes even iPac filter could mby be switched on the source as well as the output which would be another issue to tackle and try to simplify.

I was thinking of getting a cheep multi vga box and taking a look how the Chinese wire them up just for reference.

Doubt I'd actually use the above for the switching but as a reference for how I might do it, so could come handy.

There is also something like this remote switch I could possibly try but that would just be a parts side switching between filters if I did with seperate switching for the monitor itself.
    You'd need to be really carful not to switch to the unfiltered option if there was one.

Ultimately was thinking just the first option between devices and Jamma and each device has its own line and switching the filter Ultracade/Gonbes/iPac I would need to work out somehow.

Any ideas how I could do this, as this is confusing me slightly and is the next major hurdle to get over?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015