My Astro City Project

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Revenger, Apr 14, 2015.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

Find something that you like doing Revenger & keep doing it :thumbup:
    Even if it's 5 minutes a day.

But.........not give a toss what your neighbors think. They're not part of your life.

2. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Was just browsing my project again.

Unfortunately nothing has happened over the last few months with this, I keep thinking about it and looking at the cabinet every-time I'm at dads and we have talked about it a little, sometimes this project slips my mind.

My dad has had issues physically the last few months and his place is in more of a mess and as usual people he is slack to clean it up so my cabinet has been buried behind stuff at times.

Me with life the course is coming to a close last time I mentioned I was on the waiting list, well that's what I have been doing the last 3 months and have some social going outside that and overall though things are always mixed with me.

With things being mixed I am getting a little assertive if things seem to be against me and people screw me around which seems to constantly happen in some way regardless what I do here and I cant get any stability in that and people to not doing it.

I have been playing some games PC and console and got into 3DS stuff that has taken up my time.

It's one step at a time for this project and once I can work more on it and have the enthusiasm I will.

I do aim to get this finished and not leave it in this state.

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I was just thinking about this build last week. Wondered where you were at.
    Glad to hear you havent given up on a good cab.
    Keep at it :thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

No new updates unfortunately to this.

On the other hand life moves in various ways.

What I mentioned I couldn't publicly comment on a few posts back I think I can now.

I had been chatting to a girl online from the Czech Republic since my ex broke up with me and pushed me away start of the year.

I couldn't comment on this as things were a mix and she kept trying to push me away (like most people) with knowing me in some form then apologising and the cycle kept continuing.

But what is happening and has been confirmed for about a month now is that she is coming here to Perth in just over 2 weeks time to stay with me for 6 weeks 'to start with ;)'.
    This trip is on me and one reason I haven't done any Arcade work as this has been a major possibility and in talk for about 6 months now.

She knows I'm a good person with comments like "you're like enchanted prince. I will try to freed you from the curse" and "I am not used to be treated like princess. Maybe I will be a little embarrassed"
    So its some of the reasons why she has tried to push me away as she isn't used to things and misunderstands me a lot.
    But it should be ok when she is here.

Also my dad keeps having various medical issues from shoulder, other parts, hand etc and won't be until next year that he is clear from most of it.
    He battles but he keeps going.

For me atm its getting a few extra things ready for a couple weeks or so time I may have a work log on a DIY project from what I'm doing now which keeps running into some issues thanks to my dads this will be great 'ideas' I know I mentioned it before its why I like planning and really working out stuff properly but I chose to take all his suggestions on this project though.
    We are working through the issues though as they come up so that's fine.

Overall with life I vary with things but keeping going.
    A few issues like my main video card dying and other things but hey that's life.

My course results came back I improved massively and have gotten more assertive in life apart from fear of negative evaluation which got better then worse but not as bad as originally.
    I can understand that as actual negative evaluation I seem to keep getting in some form and what I live with and why I had social anxiety to begin with.

So the Arcade slipped my mind the last few months for working on it, but I always look at it when at my dads and give the machine a hug.

For those that follow and those who chime occasionally I love you guys, you gave me the strength to keep going as rehabilitation at a time I needed it until things went worse and it meant a lot.

I'll get back on this project hopfully by next year.

I would love to share more of my life as it means a lot to me to hear positive comments so not sure about that.

Those that care and love to hear how I am going send me a pm from time to time.

Love you all that care.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  5. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Take care of yourself and your dad, the project can wait.
    Eastern European women can be crazy!

6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

slow cab builds are OK, not everyone is going to be in a position to build a cab in twelve days

czech chicks are great, their beer is awesome too. if you can find it, get some Kozel Premium (billy goat beer) darn tasty beer that stuff :thumbup:

7. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

yeah don't stress. i started with a plan to build a western MDF based neo geo clone with RGB led buttons and ended up with a blast city with hot pink and green ones :) the path doesn't tend to be straightforward

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Holy shit, this!

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

any updates ??

10. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

The project has stalled completely I'll explain a bit below.
    I do hope one day I will continue this and I'll explain below

Yea just so happened this one I knew was a bit out there with herbal remedies etc.

I did bring her over for a holiday only to be turned down as soon as she saw me and stuff like how she didn't feel anything etc.

Not to mention she thinks all my anxiety, depression, how I am with people is caused by heavy metals inside me which needs cleansing and autism (Aspergers) (which I don't have only minor traits in some areas) and if I am treated and clense my toxins etc then everything will suddenly change for the better and I would be popular have a girlfriend etc and that I should take clay baths etc as it gives a natural high etc.
    She tries to diagnose and treat me with all this alternative things.

So whats been happening, well I brought her over for a 6 week holiday it seemed more like 12 weeks with how things were and that's where my money went end of last year.

My dad has had loads of medical issues from hernia, shoulders etc and is trying to recover from it still and some stuff like torn shoulders they cannot do anything about due to his age.

My social life is screwed and overall things are a mess and I have kinda gone backwards from my course as a result.
    My health motivation etc is also affected by this such as my back pain, feeling unmotivated, dizzy, always tired, upset at times etc.

Trying to get out of it but most people don't seem interested knowing or keeping in contact no matter how much I try to be a good person and make and keep friends etc.

I have another ongoing project I'm getting into, its too early to share anything on that and I could incorporate the 2 together at some stage.

Basically this project comes and goes in my mind and usually reminded if I visit my dad and see it sitting there.

It is something I want to do but technically its a struggle.

-----

Technical wise here is whats currently needed somehow.

Making the admin panel and fitting all the components etc.

Making the control panel we may not be building the cnc after all and I don't know anyone that can take my plans and cnc a panel for us.
    As I did come up with redesign of the cad files for the missing 2L16B FrancoB now has in his set.

So basically its the admin panel and control panel that's a stopper with this for technical stuff the other non technical has been a big factor also.

So yea that's any update I have since last one.

I do want to see this finished one day its just always messy atm and how I can go forward with this given my limited skills as I am not a technically inclined person.

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

chicks. cant live with them, can't live without them.

don't get bogged down in the admin panel. that can be added later in the process. try to keep thinking about bits you can work on. focus those bits and just nibble away at it :thumbup:

12. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

No much of a update but this project was on my mind just now.

It's been slipping my mind constantly doing this and I know I need to look at this sometime.

As it I though financially things haven't been good and other issues going on.

My main PC has occasional issues and is pretty old i7 950 and running a GTX 560ti as my GTX590 stopped working last year, changed my power supply to a backup one the other day.

My tablet was sent back for warranty after the emmc started not being detected etc.

Apart from that stuff, my other thing I looked into doing I'm ready to do if I can find motivation and learn how to present myself etc.

Family stuff my dad is getting better but obviously will never fully recover.

Social wise for me locally is well I've stated going to a church and connecting with more people.

Money wise it's going elsewhere atm, one of my 2 good friends I mentioned above from overseas at the start of the thread, well me and her have been talking and realised some stuff after a couple years that we both care and feel for each other and want to really support each other, so we are casually looking and planning on having/starting a life and future together here.
    We share many interests from games, anime conventions, music etc never argued about anything at all etc.

So yes it is what you think it is and I know she is good as I've chatted to her at least twice or more every week for 2 years now.

I'm welcome to share more on pms and chat about stuff.

We're planning her initial trip for January and then we will plan from there together.

It's in that inbetween period obviously until her trip and then the next stage but we are both very serious about this.

I do video chat with her like this morning for 3 hours straight and will again tomorrow morning though that's still new it's fine as wet have chatted soo much beforehand.

So with this Arcade after Easter when weather cools and if I can remember, you guys can remind me, I'll sit down and discuss things with my dad on what we can do this year on some things.

I also noticed parts have been becoming rarer from places like Paradise Arcade like the led button controllers etc so will work around that when I get to that stage.

I really want to get this done but my future and life comes first with finances especially if I'm finally going to be settling down in a couple years with someone who we are pretty much best friends but both want and feel for more.

Overall I don't know where this project will end up, even if it is slow going for a while it will be worked on again by me, my dad and my other part once that happens.

If anyone did want to help this project out or whatever with anything to keep it moving, people are always welcome to on me about it.

I'm finally getting a semi stable life and future plans going and that's a important thing, I still have my issues depression and anxiety etc which will stick around for a while but future is looking better and longer term even better with being able to really do things with my other with various projects, my health, motivation and general well being and happiness and outgoingness etc.

So yea that's basically all I have to sum up here not much project wise but some things outside that.

Wish I had the money to do everything but don't.

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

youre not alone with that sentiment. sounds like the rest of us :thumbup:

Glad to hear things sounding more positive from you man :)
    all things in moderation. i try to do that these days .... not sure how successful i am with it, but i try

14. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Its been a few months since last update so here is whats going on.

My life took a turn for the worse the girl I last mentioned I talked to her about initiation that I was hoping she would initiate and look out for me more as I am getting very frustrated with things in that area and she basically said that wasn't going to happen and things kinda ended.

I worked out since starting this arcade project I spent 5k on other people trying to care and support them being selfless without getting much back, and about $500 or so on dating sites or whatever that could have gone to this project and other things.

I posted a seperate thread on here about my social life which went to crap here.

I'm also very tired, weak, putting on weight and low motivation etc, I sleep 12+ hours each day etc.

I have told some people but if anyone wants all the details about that's going on with me and everything including arcade and other things, I have a personal blog on my home server I posted ALL the details on. I am not too confident posting it public or having the link in my sig due to trolls, negative opinions people may have etc so pm me for the link if you are interested. I'm always happy foe people to read and spread the word etc.

Basically I need people who can help me socially or just be a friend even a online one.

I also have gotten a NAS setup that thread is here, this will help longterm even for storage of arcade machines, console systems etc.
    Currently its storing my pc games. blurays, tv shows etc with some data still to move once I get bigger hard drives.

As well I'm making some things here a little better like getting a hdmi switch for my pc for switching between pc and tv area, some wireless xiaomi smart home devices etc.
    Also got myself a PS3 and in the post is a Vita to play.

Also I listen to a lot of jpop and Japanese mix songs on YouTube like Reol and other things Waifu Wednesdays, Eternal, and many more similar channels.

I want to create a community for people with anxiety depression etc into japanese culture cosplay gaming etc if anyone is cool with me and who I am thinks they can get along with me and have time, Skype with a camera etc (bonus points if your in Perth and can come and work through stuff in person at times) and willingness to learn to administer and run and moderate a community along side me and to improve their skills I could use a equal footing partner to first start with logistics trialing and testing various forums and to plan the scope of the community etc.

Just putting it out there as I am looking to make new friends and also start a community helping people with similar problems and situations as me to empower everyone to be better people with their lives.

-------------------------------------

Arcade is still stalled, my dad complains of Perth weather and his spare room where the cabinet is stored is a mess and how he can't move in the room so we cant work etc etc.
    So last year he had a lot of medical issues and some again this year.

I do plan to do some more work and keep reminding him on things with it.

I was thinking could the admin panel box under the cp be 3d printed? if anyone knows about 3d printing what are the pros and cons for doing this?
    Me and dad were thinking of using acrylic and making the box.
    It would be fiberglass matted / bonded to the cp underneath with the key locking adjustment for that side and smoothed out / painted to make it a stock mod.

Always interested if anyone wants to sponsor the project or help out in any way even with my personal situations which would mean I would get to do more work on this cabinet.

I also have some ideas like ELwiring the inside of the cabinet for maintenance lighting I'm thinking green or mby a mix with pink as they are the Sega Astro colours, would be great for a bit of bling etc.

Overall this is where everything is currently at with this cabinet and life really sucks again taking a toll on me.
    Sorry this thread and my life is a huge roller coaster and just when things seem to be looking up it falls right back down again.

Update: Spoke to my dad just now we have a plan now to mount all the components on circuit boards work out wiring placements and various height levels then design the admin box around it once we have the components in place which we can 3d print to alignment etc, this way we 'hopfully' can make the box all together than gluing it piece by piece.

We will be doing this soonish within a month or so, so stay tuned.

-------------------------------------
    Update 2: if anyone is wondering what order and how I plan the order to work on things here is my heads breakdown.

Adminbox components - Mounting and positioning to circuit boards etc and wire placements.
    Admin box - Needs component mountings first to work out where wires and other things will go and exact placements.
    Admin box structural fabrication mounting (fiberglass etc) - needs admin box made which needs components made.
    Admin master box in Coin slot - Needs admin panel, CP QC's,
    CP panel itself - Doesn't really need the admin panel made but good to order it here due to of fabrication and structural work on the cp housing so it doesn't sit around.
    CP wiring - Needs the CP made and all the components bought.
    CP plug quick connect mounts - Needs all the wiring worked out first to know what's needed on the new quick connect bar
    Coin slot area - Needs Admin panel, Coin slot extra mby CP QC's, Admin master box and other things.
    Coin slot extra controls - Needs to be planned late once we know what's needed ELwire lighting etc
    Cable sleeving - Needs all wiring worked on at that moment.
    Console/Jamma mounting shelves - Needs other fabrication done, coin area, admin box etc, wiring plans for wire mounting etc.
    Stand alone CP Box comes right at the end.

Basically I'm working on a process of main or bulk structural fabrication work before cleanup or tidy work or work with extra things.
    The process will work from the admin panel in order through related and other similar area / design things.
    The last thing I want to be doing is drilling holes and doing lots of fabricating things when I have the cp and wiring installed.
    As the admin panel will need quite a bit of fabrication and cleanup with fiberglass matt bonding etc and will be a little messy 'I have some basic experience on a stand alone bath I did last year' that comes first before other things and those as I go from area to area.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  15. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Admin box in actual Development

Some big but small news, I have the admin box in development now.

I went to dads to help him clean and took a look at the box and had a quick think and worked out a easy way forward.

I'll be using a project box I bought and making it into the actual box.
    As for the 3D printing idea that is still a idea if this fails but if not this will do what I want and be mounted into the admin panel etc.

We cut the bottom out of the box so its just a rectangle shell, My dad went all soldering iron powered knife blade on it but overdid it slightly so there's a few dings in it on the edges which can be fixed when mounting.

I measured the inner shelf what I require and it's 1.5mm, all the acrylic we got is either 1mm or 2mm so my dad will try to get a freebee cutoff from the acrylics place link at the top in helpful places and sponsors.
    If he cant I found a 300mm square bit for $10 delivered, but I am sure he can.

Currently I am filing the edges while blasting JPOP ann Vocaloid through my speakers like every night here. Listen to the autoplay next videos and that's basically my nights in general here.

Post is nothing without pics so op 'aka me' delivers.

Image is in progress.
    So if your wondering the || bits will be left for the bottom under the shelf but removed above, same for the O screw mounts you can see, which I can easily cut to size out with my Ryobi rotary tool.

Everything will be painted in the end and smoothed down, the bottom has a screw on plate which will remain as is and be restrengthened as latch for key will be there.

[​IMG]

As for updates on things life got better made a friend here a girl and hanging out with her a little and she plans to help me with a online community project I want to create and anyone else willing to help and have skills website logos design principals can pm me with if they want to help.

I'm starting to feel a little like homer with the bed but instead, life goes up life comes down etc.

16. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Updates for today.

The box is coming along nicely.
    If you thought it looked like a mess and wondered how it would turn into the admin panel box well I am going to show you a good chunk of the way.

After yesterday I got a great hobby knife in the mail today I ordered last night and cleaned up the box (I'll add stuff to the purchase links etc above sometime soonish).

I also marked out the box for my rotary tool which I dremel'd out as much as I could using the orange roller sand / grind tool and then I cleaned up the bits with my knife.

[​IMG]

This worked great and saved a load of time and made it soo much easier.
    My new Knife in the pic also.

[​IMG]

I cut thin some plastic card my dad gave me to test the shelf and here is the final result for now.
    The shelf will probably be metal in the end with holes cut for components and painted like the back panel was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll mark up the test plastic shelf for testing component spacing etc later today or tomorrow.

The screw holes I might be able to have screws go all through the proper shelf to hold everything together but we will see.

So far this is coming along great.

I will re-enforce the screw holes as mentioned on the side by filling in those curved gaps you can see between them and the box wall to give more strength to the box and mount points.
    It will be painted white as mentioned.
    At the bottom I will make cutouts for all the wires to go through.

I realised that once the box is completed I wouldn't be able to remove the electronic components from the cp housing as it will be bonded to the cp.
    I don't think I can get around that at all so will have to be a sacrifice to the modularity I was after unless anyone knows a way?
    One way may be to move the screw mounts to the inner shelf and then get rid of the remaining || bits underneath so the shelf comes out that way but that would mean the box isn't attached to the bottom plate anymore.

Overall #Feels Good

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Good to hear :thumbup:
    but it cant be from listening to this

:shock::wired:

:lol::lol:

18. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Vocaloid is great stuff the synth is made by Yamaha corp licensed by Sega for the main character visuals.

I always get a bit hyper from listening to that type of music online :tongue:

Youtube has been showing me this music vid constantely the last month at least 4 times a day on the autoplay, so I saw the movie in the cinema Friday its called "Fireworks" and is currently playing at Hoyts.
    Loved the movie but it may not be for everyone tastes.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  19. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Admin panel layout fitting test

Little more work tonight I have made the box up as a test even though I knew everything was going to fit its nice to see it in person.

Height wise I need to cut more to lower the shelf slightly which is no issue and expected that.

I don't have the buttons fitted as they are delicate with the pins and cant sit without some sort of support as they are flush all round.

So here is top and underneath of a proper mockup.
    Sorry for not having the volume knob I'm sure its at dads but wasn't in the RS component bag I grabbed.

I will need to do a proper layout to space sizing and relative box position as this box is slightly bigger than the space to use but I'l do that when we do the next proper work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  20. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

News update to my project.

I went to dads yesterday and I refactored the admin box design as I took measurements and had a very good look and think about design.

The components in the box will now be modular and be a module that plugs into the CP, this will make it better to work on and more inline with the design of the cabinet.

Designs for that are half done but we have a good idea how to do it this way.

First off I took many measurements on my 2 in 1 using the Microsoft garage sketchbook thingy in the store.

[​IMG]

I marked the CP out for fine cutting and cut it.
    I overdid the cutting and its a little off as I'm not too good detailing so we will need to fix it up.

[​IMG]

As for the module design it required more box modification to get rid of all inside lips etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But in the end this becomes a plug in module of electronic stuff into the box that can be unplugged if needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now have to do the proper mark up of the inside shelf for the components now I have all the measurements of everything, which I will do later today/tonight on some aluminium my dad gave me.

He will look for material for the lid to go on the 100 yen sticker.

So whats needed now?

• Design the wiring hole cutouts in the bottom of the CP box
    • Design Key Latch on bottom of plug-in module
    • Design mounting the module to the admin box
    • Mounting all the components on the module
    • Fixing up mistakes like over cutting the inside ledge
    • Cleaning everything up and painting everything nicely
    Overall its getting there and at a stage where work is picking up a little.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    MUTMAN likes this.