My Astro City Project

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Revenger, Apr 14, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Things have been a little slower as I'm struggling emotionally etc again so haven't gotten around to doing the proper markups yet for the shelf etc.

The admin box design keeps constantly changing slightly to be better and more efficient to avoid any issues that I am finding as I work through stuff.

I have some really cool things I am looking at with the arcade bling etc wise but don't want to disclose that just yet.

Overall I will try to start the markup etc soon.

2. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Here is a update on things and time to disclose said things I'm looking at.
    Last few weeks I have looking extra at something for the cabinet which is what this post about about.

I went to my dads for my 35'th birthday Saturday, was just me and him, he bought me a cake they made on his order for me and he made other things for eats, no presents or anything else really, a couple messages email etc but that was it, my social isolation even extends to days of joy and happiness times.

I took a look at the admin box and what I looked at over the last few weeks.
    All I can say is 'Let there be light'

To start I'll just throw the end result up now then explain it.

Note: I am very happy with this turned out, everything with the lighting looks soo much better in person compared to these photos even my dad commented it looked very cool I was like it looks warm hehe a pun on the warm white I chose instead of cool white.

[​IMG]

I looked at different lighting ideas to start, from ELWire, single LED's, other things and had a good ponder on colour choices and also tested a few products, this is why I didn't want to say anything at the time as it was all a learning process with a bit of cost involved with trial and error and still will be for a little bit.

Eventually I settled on using SMD light strips and tested some local warehouse cheap Chinese eBay stuff as well as Red ELWire.
    (I'll offer any advice or assistance to others hoping to do lighting projects as I know a crap load about strip lights now types of SMD chips, kelvin colour temps, HD or SD strips, all the controllers IR / WiFi, dimmers, etc etc etc)

[​IMG]

Testing a few products I went to my dads and tested both cool and warm light on the admin panel, my dad mentioned cool white was a bit much on the eyes and I liked the warm light feel but was a tough choice, though I had both to play with.

I decided to properly test the warm light so I dodgilly melted the plastic coating at the ends (Strip light smoke don't breath this) and soldered some stripped transformer wire my dad gave me.
    Was a bit hot thats why the ends burned.

[​IMG]

In the end there was light after resoldering and testing everything twice.

[​IMG]

Mounting it on the box was just some crappy double sided tape hence why it came loose but it was a prototype test and with the box in position ontop of a cloth to fit right under, you can now see exactly what I am working towards with the admin panel and how its actually going to look but will be much cleaner when finished.

The box design has also changed slightly as the inner shelf will have a raised lip on the sides where the light strip will mount inside the box, my dad suggests folding aluminium on the 3 sides to create the sides for the lights to mount on, this will mean the strip will be part of the inner module and will come out with all the other components that are mounted on and in the shelf.
    Also there will be a reed or other type of small micro switch that will turn the light on automatically when the lid is raised and turn it off again when closed.

Inside the cabinet all doors etc will receive the same treatments with auto switches on each door and I have even cooler ideas for inside the main doors and other areas etc, lets just say this cabinet will light up like a fully programmable WiFi enabled Christmas tree or a rave party by the time I am finished with it.

Also everything will go to my Master Panel next to the coin slot box or where the coin mech is mounted as thats a full panel of spare space behind that not used as all that is accessed there is the coin mech attached to the door so might as well use that inner space also for a extra panel.

I made and gave my dad a list of stuff on his end to get done for me like looking for plastic glues and the hex nut for the inner mounting struts around the box.

So its very slow and kinda a good thing I held off doing shelf design as that changes slightly now to accommodate the lip and some more wiring.

Overall even bigger and cooler plans but all exactly as my scope at the top of this thread with my ideas and thoughts I was going to work through I went about building this cabinet up.

Feel free to comment etc and now you can see how the admin box will be and the idea in a full scale fit and minor test before the rest of the build with it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    MUTMAN likes this.
  3. badmofo

badmofo Member

Nice work dude, and happy birthday.

Keep going!

4. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Work hasn't dropped off on this it's still being planned and kinda progressing.

I received packages today of parts.

For those wondering those micro no/nc switches are cherry and the smallest I could find the cherry was just a bonus as I was looking at size first.
    I am debating either the lever or non leaver one for the lid I think leaver may be better.

[​IMG]

I may have some other cool things later for this and other projects but I won't talk about that just yet.

I am also going to get a bunch of my own tools for this and other projects etc.

For those playing along I have a thread about my home space, which I am changing up at the moment and planning I think I'm done on those updates for now untill I have means to get more stuff but feel free to pop over and give me encouragement there also.

As for my social it's still nothing at all, I have a social thread on things but if anyone wants to send some love my way then by all means I'd appreciate it.

5. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Plans have changed slightly for the admin panel with what material I'll be using.

Instead of using aluminium as mentioned I bought some stainless steel from Bunnings at $49 instead of $18 for a sheet.
    The aluminum at Bunnings was mostly pretty soft and not good for my needs here.
    Doing this will make the stuff strong and any left overs I can use for other areas of the arcade.
    I'll add it into my purchase list at the beginning of the thread sometime soon.

6. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Just saw this thread and now subbing! :)

This is so awesome! I'm looking for an Astro City myself but unfortunately, I just don't have the skills or time to do a refurb myself. I'm pretty much looking for a ready to go cab.

7. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Cheers for the message and sub.

As I posted at the beginning a refurb is really what you make of it.
    Could be as simple as a clean, fix and add a pc etc, which is pretty fun and rewarding to do.

My refurb is going beyond anything done before and modernising the Astro City arcade for home use and current times with design things like cable sleeving, home controls, and ports etc etc as well as getting into modder clean designs and lighting etc that you would see on PC's. All while keeping to the arcade native design and natural flow.

I'll be going to dad's for Christmas and taking the bits I have with me and may do a little work over the few days depending.

8. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Yeah I can see that!

And you're doing a great job at it!

I want my Astro just for arcade classics - mainly old Capcom Classics. I've already made a bartop, but it's just not as satisfying as a Candy Cab :)

All the modern stuff is going into my Chinese Vewlix - soon to be paired up for japanese style head to head/side to side.

9. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Hey Revenger, just wondering how your replacement of locks in the astro city went?

I've read through the thread a couple of times and I may have missed the comment, but did the replacement go well?

Reason I'm asking is because I'll be purchasing my very own Astro City that needs new locks and some TLC (won't be a complete refurb, but needs work). My seller has stated its going to need new locks so I'm now undecided if I should go Sega locks or cheap locks (worried since the cheaper ones may not have the correct latch).

Do you know if you also require two keys to open the control panel? Or will one be enough?

10. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I got Sega compatible locks "5 S0228 locks and keys", I got them from Highway Entertainment the shop is linked in my purchase list.
    I haven't gotten around to installing them but the minor tests I've done they fit fine as I may have mentioned.
    I need two keys for the control panel as they don't let the keys out unless the lock is locked.
    I bought 5 locks and they each came with a key.

You can get the official locks and keys on eBay etc but 3rd party compatible are still fine.

The latch should be fine if you get with the right latch mount which mine are.
    I need to modify one latch for my admin panel, I'll show that when I get up to it, firstly its creating the admin box and shelves etc and then do the latch so hopfully not too far away if I can get working on it.

Any questions just ask and message me as with this project I've overdone the research a little from most people so I know exactly whats happening and goes on etc.

Also make sure you brows all the info I have linked, download the manuals etc etc.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  11. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

12. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I got the screws and nuts for the admin panel about a couple weeks back.
    I got a few to cover a couple types of ideas I have in how its screwed, so I can decide what Idea is the best that I want to do.

[​IMG]

Also in the mail I received keyrings to match the style as I wanted something that looked like a arcade operator would use.
    Two for keys in use as I need two for the CP as they lock when in use and one for extra keys.
    I chose styles that represented 2 operator and 1 maintenance keychains.

One side
    [​IMG]

Other side
    [​IMG]

The place I got the keyrings from is Cult Keyrings in the UK.
    The guys Name is Richard and is a good bloke from my communications with him, he can basically put any picture in a keyring that you want and can do small to larger sizes, as its his small business.
    The keyrings come in sealed plexi andall edges are rounded and are are decent low cost price for what you are getting.
    He asked for me to mention him and his shop after looking over at this thread and has offered me a keyring of my cabinet (just pay shipping) when it's complete if I want.
    Why I chose his shop is just that I wanted something that looked proper like it would actually be used and hung up in a arcade with all the keys for all the other machines and he does a lot of different styles of Sega and other things.

As for the building of the box this will be within the next a month or so so stay tuned.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Haven't been to dads much so haven't started but plan to do more when weather cools a little and I'll be there doing a bunch of stuff on this and other things.

14. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Just a update after a long while.

Nothing more has really been done on this for various reasons though I have looked and thought about a few things.

First I was focusing on my bed project which kinda stalled when running out of paint bought new so that will start up again.

This will continue sometime as I need to work on actually making the admin box etc.
    Though I haven't been to dad's much.

He has had a lot of issues, with his back having issues and he has had yet another injection in it but a different type this time. He keeps overdoing things and his back has issues.
    As well his wife is in back in Russia for medical treatment already been 6 months and still won't be back for a while mby end of the year. So that's causing depression etc.
    On top of things he might have suspected kidney cancer they are doing tests currently to see what's going on.

As for me I'm struggling here and don't talk about it much but have broken down a few weeks back and feel it coming on again.

I'm focusing more on my community project creating a support site its progressing slowly at least it's going forward and not backwards.

I haven't mentioned it much to anyone but I've cancelled all my appointments, doctor and psychologist and going to take myself off medication.
    With my breakdowns, trying soo much, socially being rejected and not really cared about I'm over sitting down discussing things when crap just keeps happening.
    There's been a lot of that crap recently and why I'm obsessed with the process of finishing and launching my community site.

Because of the crap I've started trying to support others even more, so the more I get knocked back socially or that people don't care the more I try to support others instead of myself.
    I'm a way I guess it's me feeling that I'm not good enough, caring or supportive for others and that's why I'm trying to care and support others even more.

Also been playing games etc.

My real estate agent lady when I had a inspection saw something was up with me as I've been very flat here.

That's about it I guess.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  15. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Was thinking about the thread so going to do a update even though there's been no progress.

My dad over the year has had some more medical issues with a incurable cancer found through the treatment is working but he has been having hot and cold flushes and mood swings, (the mood swings are medical and he got better over the last few years with marrying a russian lady but has since come back a bit with these issues and the fact she is back for medical treatment in Russia)

With me things vary like usual social locally things are non existent which has been causing some distress etc I won't get into but basically no local friends, don't go out, people don't seem to care etc etc.

I did go to Supernova and took lots of photos about 2500 of them first time in many years taking lots of photos, but processing them has stalled the last few weeks due to motivation and no-one really seeing them.

I started up a community online which hasn't gone anywhere and very much dead after a few months with no-one posting still.

I also manage to get fully back into binge watching anime etc after soo long as I emotionally ran away from that due to things years ago, so I have now fully come to terms and picked up myself after soo long basically years talking since 2009 I have been emotionally scared but that's now repaired fully as I tried before but things kept going back a bit but not this time.

Money wise with me all my money currently is saving for something to the point I am even regulating my expenses on food to basic things in order to save.

So this year progress has stalled soo much and some of it is because of issues hit with progressing, my own emotional and social state and other priorities with money etc.

So what technically has happened and needs to happen?
    Part of the plastic component box I was using broke when trying to cut it more for proper mounting etc as I started moving to cleanup on the box and work on mounting everything properly.
    That was meant to be my next update, working on polishing and attaching the box and to the CP etc.
    Since I have been stalled on how to do the box.
    I could use ideas at this stage on how to progress.

I need to work out how to cut the stainless steel, I have some stainless welding wire to try as a test.
    I was thinking for the circuit board for the components I can get a multilayer board done online that should help with all the connections of components to the edge connectors.

Basically until I can work out how to proceed with the admin box I don't know what is going to happen here.

Other projects like my bedframe, I did more painting the last week or so on the slats and that is pretty much done, however the wooden base may be shelved till next year due to money and stuff.

Overall just everything has kinda just stalled for various reasons.
    Though I do want to continue a project as I'm starting to struggle more and more here especially with the isolation.
    So I do want to progress things forward with things.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  16. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

A small update to this.

Work is hopfully going to be picking up slowly with the focus on the admin panel.

I talked to my dad and he feels better and wants to do things and is keen to move this forward.

He started looking at the box with the acrylic and cut some bits out, so I went round yesterday as he wasn't exactly sure etc if what he cut was correct.

After some talking between us with the led placement and ideas etc he cut out the acrylic out.

[​IMG]

We allowed extra space on the cut and had a idea on how to put the box together though it was a bit over one side I think, however randomly when testing the pieces fell/moved into this shape which is perfect.
    This was very random how it happened and wasn't planned as dad wanted the sides to be inside when he added the extra space etc.

[​IMG]

Called my dad over when the pieces ended up like this and we both agreed this would work great for making the box with the offset you can see.

We are going to glue and I am going to put a fiberglass bandage round everything and bond the outside hex standoffs onto it and then bond the whole thing onto the CP with fiberglass mat, so the whole box is molded together onto the cp as if its one piece and neat, clean strong and natural looking.

We talked about the inner shelf quite a bit and I tested welding the stainless I bought, we are going to look for another material for the shelf that's easier to join at the sides etc.
    The inner shelf etc is designed to be modular as I have said in the past so you drop that out and the components come out.

I know I need space for all the wires etc and will look at placement of those once the box is progressing etc.
    I have on my writing board a list of what's in the box with a couple notes that a circuit is needed for the leds and the headphone port for speaker cutover.

I did a basic circuit for the leds just now.
    (Those following will know MS is the master switchboard that I will be building)

[​IMG]

I need to digitalise all the circuits and print them into proper schematics later as looking at older circuits like the 4/5 button jamma/sega changeover etc are confusing and later I will be bridging off the jamma harness for extras etc like the freeplay coin buttons etc which will go to the admin panel and audio etc.

Plus the whole master switchboard where inline power, dip switches and other things would be much fun for someone to troubleshoot without a circuit even if it is basic. :Paranoid:

So I need a whole load of circuits drawn up properly for anything post build as in future etc.

For now we are focusing on making the box and shelf and going from there.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    elvis likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Started work on properly making the box.

I started gluing the acrylic together which is like a 5 min job, could have done it ages back.

IMG_20190413_152917-01.jpeg

My dad will finish it then it's onto the next stage which is the shelf, lid and key latch mount and getting final measurements etc.

Then fiberglassing and bondo with the CP to mount.

Then into the master switchboard and building up the system.

The circuits will be made near the end and we could use a maker company for it and get everything done all together as they are all plug in modules to the system.

Expansions like the cable sleeving and wiring etc I can do once the system is put together, running and at my place where I have time to work my own pace.

As long as the system is up and running with the biggest fabrication work done I'm happy.

Also today I took of the Megatouch stickers and cleaned the monitor shroud up.

IMG_20190413_160617-01.jpeg

So this is the current plan and I will be moving it forward from now bit by bit.

I also will be looking for anyone to make me a CP with the cad file I have doesn't need brackets or the covering as I can do that myself just need the core metal cut as we don't have a CNC here still.
    This is not until later but still needs to be looked at.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  18. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

So a bit of a update on things, blog type post.

I started writing what is left to do today on core stuff as well as extended things like breakouts and sleeving etc, so I have two sheets I will keep updated.
    The plan is to do the core stuff first so I can get the Arcade running and eventually here and then work on extras breakouts, extra wiring, sleeving everything etc.

The admin panel I have a simple easy way forward now to get that done with fiber-glassing the box we made on to the cp, making brackets for the key latch etc.
    So things should hopfully pick up this year for sure as I am starting to feel it here that I have the energy and mindset to get working.

So now onto other things,

A month back I built a new PC which I added a LED strip to etc.
    What I was saving for I mentioned fell through, I had a '4 year' friend overseas I mentioned earlier 'not the Czech girl', another girl I was going to give a holiday here but after helping her on a few things out last year she was kinda like 'I don't want to do anything back for you if you are asking as I don't want to owe you anything and I'd rather lose you as a friend instead' right on my birthday, which is what ended up happening and I had a bit of a breakdown as a result.

As for me I am currently friendless get no calls, messages don't go out anywhere, people don't visit etc etc etc, people don't really care about knowing or doing anything me except my dad etc.
    It hurts as I want friends and to socialise with others but cant hold down friendships and unless its me trying people don't keep in contact or want to know me etc etc etc.
    I nearly lost my dads support end of last year and was about to be written out of the family due to the above, but things worked itself out.

So Arcade last year was a mess I stayed at home by myself binge watching anime and playing games, I got Elder Scrolls Online end of the year to keep me occupied but motivation fort that has waned, overall I had a mix of emotions and feelings and couldn't see a way forward with the arcade and anytime I was at dads I looked at the box confused etc etc.
    At least now I have a clear path forward I can see and do at my skill level.

The bedframe I moved into my unit but without the box I was making it just bent to the floow so I have the bed on the frame which is on the floor without the legs currently until I can make the box with storage which will go underneath the frame when I can get some money saved again.

My dad's health is still a mix of stuff so most arcade stuff I will be doing myself at his place when I can and just use him for advice (it's still wacky just drill a random hole or why do you need a cover over the circuit board etc etc) all good though as I mentioned I should take more control building it plus I know what I want to do to be as proper as I can.

I have some spare systems I could build up and use so that's no worries.

As mentioned I need to find a CNC place to make me a panel with the autocad file I have so if anyone reads this and knows anyone let me know ok.

If anyone feels up to it I could use any support even in life, making friends etc I can get.
    Just a update to let you all know what's going on with me life and arcade etc.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Vanne likes this.
  19. Vanne

Vanne Member

Hey mate, cool progress. Also cool to see your old man helping out on the tools, even though his health isnt going to good.
    Subbed to see more updates. On the social side bud, you could/should join a club/sport, easy to meet peoples that way and good way to keep fit :)

Any time your passing through/in dubai, your welcome for a beer/coffee. :thumbup:

20. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I'll be doing most of the work going forward as my confidence over the years with this project and taking on and logic about projects has increased somewhat.
    It's good to see him helping where he can though his 'suggestions' are just as they say pulled out of his rear at times just to suggest something even if its drill a random hole where I try to look and take into account design and aesthetics of the arcade as you all can see.
    Clubs I have been told about though some cost and some are clicky and I don't drive which lets things down, I was told Photography would be a good one but you need to be able to get to the places.

I doubt I'll be going through Dubai anytime soon, Only trip I had was to Osaka Japan in 2004 with a youth group to help the youth on a project they were doing, which ended up being more a 10 day holiday instead, but if I was to travel and was passing through sure.
    Would love to travel as brought one person over at my cost was going to do it again last year also at my own cost but as said that fell apart so I guess it's time I got something back in a sense from supporting everyone else.

With mounting the box to the cp and fiberglassing I will look at that in the next couple weeks, it may be stages gluing to the cp then fiberglass another day or a initial fiberglass with the glue so will see but at least things will move a bit more then.