1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

My bent Panasonic 60ST50A plasma

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Gibbon, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

So .... we're finally turning our rumpus room into a theatre room of sorts, and after looking around, we decided to buy a 60" Panasonic ST50A plasma. After seeing one, and reading reviews, it was a pretty easy decision, to be honest (well, we really wanted the 65", but didn't think the extra $$ were worth it). We already have a couple of other Panasonic plasmas in the house, and they've been great.

Did a bit of shopping around, and settled on a local retailer, for a price we were happy with. Paid up yesterday, and they had one in stock, so we picked it up this morning.

Got it home (very carefully transported in a van, always upright and well secured), and unboxed it. This is what we found:

[​IMG]

No trick photography there ... check the straight lines in the carpet ...

The TV is warped, or buckled, both vertically and horizontally - i.e. look from the side and there's a bend in it ... look from the top and there's also a bend in it. It's like it's been crushed.

I've uploaded a few more larger photos here: (sorry, they're only iPhone photos, but you'll get the gist - I was too pissed off to take any other photos) http://www.psychogoat.com/files/bentTV

There are a few photos there (photo3, photo4 and photo5) showing buckling in the metal chassis behind the edge of the TV.

There are marks on the glass (I presume cracking - I didn't plug it in) running diagonally down from the middle on the sides to the middle of the bottom edge. It's a bit hard to see, but in photo6, photo7 and photo8 you might be able to pick them up.

The weird thing is, the box is totally undamaged - in practically perfect condition, and it sure looked to me that the TV hadn't been unboxed before (though i guess that's a possibility).

As odd as it sounds, it seems to me that it was like that before it went into the box (presuming it hasn't been unboxed before)

As you'd expect, the retailer is going to replace it for me - so of course now I have to wait, as they have no more in stock.

It seems like a bit of a mystery to me. Could Panasonic's QA really be that bad? Surely not.

I'm disappointed enough to send Panasonic some feedback, but I don't know if it'll achieve much.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. Doso

Doso Member

Qa sampling might be something like checking one in every 10 TVs produced

But seeing as the margins on TVs have dropped significantly in the past 5-10 years cost cutting could be the problem on QA testing

3. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Turn it on see if it works :lol:

4. slobber

slobber Member

Its been re-boxed

To think it got damaged to that degree without destroying the box/packaging would be impossible IMHO

Retailer trying a fast one ???

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  5. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yeah, that was my first thought, but it really didn't look like it had been reboxed. All the packing was absolutely perfect. I guess it's always a possibility though.

6. mtma

mtma Member

I don't know exactly how the Panasonic packaging is inside but it may have been dropped with a number of other TV's (like on a pallet of them or something) and just broke itself under its own weight from the G's. Wouldn't be obvious damage to the box if it wasn't near the one that took the direct hit.

7. highway

highway Member

Does the serial number on the outside of the box match the serial number of the bent screen?

8. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Not surprised if they did. I can repack a TV as if it were never taken out of box. If you do it often enough it's pretty easy. Showroom floor stock are always repacked and sold off as new stock after a few months.

This too is not a problem. There's only 1 model of any TV out anyway. You do not display 2 of the same TV ever. So as long as the box is kept in storage, you'd never mess up the serial number.

9. Zee

Zee Member

I've seen that sort of thing a few times, with several brands. No foul play, shit just happens.

Take it back and get a new one, simple fix.

Z...

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Sheesh, that's a fair bend from the looks of it. I'd be seeking a replacement, even if it still works fine.

11. thetron

thetron Member

I would contact Panasonic directly and the store

12. csimpson

csimpson Member

Crazy stuff. Let me know if you have any problem with the store accepting the return, and I might be able to help out.

13. thetron

thetron Member

You bent it :p

14. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

Good to see you offering to help another member simps. I guess the photos could find themselves on a particular website otherwise.

15. newynut

newynut Member

Well as a retired wharfy, Ive seen 20 ft containers full of tvs from japan fall from quite a height. This is off the record of course.

16. thetron

thetron Member

Here is an example. Action happens at 2:10

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  17. Zee

Zee Member

Flouro safety vests would have prevented that.

Z...

18. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

lol. That's exactly the mentality of my work.

3m exclusion zone when loading and unloading welders, but how are we meant to guide the load when it's hanging from a jib? Broom handles don't cut it.

19. thetron

thetron Member

I've been out to Port of Brisbane. Looking after Patrick Silverdore and AAT wireless, 3 days before I arrived someone had injuried himself because he'd forklift over the crane rails

Anyway off-topic

20. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

patricks in brisbane is fully automated, there are no human drivers in the yard... that cannot happen in brisbane... Patricks in brisbane would be the safest port operation in the WORLD!

theres so much wrong with that video safety wise its not even funny!

i wouldnt be surprised if the original package was dropped... if u think about how much stress is put in the frame of a 60" plasma, must be huge, plasma's arent light!