My bent Panasonic 60ST50A plasma

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Gibbon, Oct 28, 2012.

1. csimpson

csimpson Member

Hey Gibs, how did this go? Get it sorted?

2. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yup, eventually. The retailer ordered me a new one, but with a 3 week wait. Well, actually they couldn't tell me when it would come in. After 1 week it was "should be here in 2 weeks". Didn't fill me with confidence.

I wasn't at all happy with their customer service - over the course of the saga I called 6 times to tell them about the damage, find out when the replacement would arrive etc, each time to be told someone would call me back, but nobody did - so I opted for a refund instead, and we'll start again with another retailer.

Thanks for the offer of help too, much appreciated.

All good now, I just won't buy anything from this particular retailer again. The damage to the TV may or may not have been their fault, but it gave me a good look at their nonexistent post-sale service.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You've exercised your consumer rights well. I would have opted for the refund also.

4. Locito

Locito Member

haha i'm surprised there haven't been more of these stories!!!

I used to work for the Panasonic distributor out in Seven Hills in my uni days, and the height we used to pull these off the conveyor belt and the free fall drop onto chep pallets is really surprising!

They would of always pack extra boxes in the containers just for any handling mishaps!

I have religiously never considered Panasonic after working there. Not to say it doesn't happen everywhere else

Shit deal mate, sorry

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I presume people either just accept it if the unit works fine or don't even actually notice it.

6. kryzak260

kryzak260 Member

I watched that without sound, which may have explained my confusion, but why the hell would you stack containers like that? Was it a joke? Seems retarded!

7. make_out

make_out Member

Had the same thing happen with a Samsung 60" from Harvey Norman.

Spent three weeks waiting for it to come in, then upon un boxing noticed a curve in the bezel and a massive curved crack in the glass.

Got on the phone to HN who agreed to replace it straight away. Was very lucky that they had ordered another unit at the same time as mine so there was no wait to get the replacement.

8. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

With the new consumer laws, the retailer is very much obliged to replace faulty or damaged goods.

I am sure that the ACCC is just waiting for someone to slip up, so thy can make an "example" of them

9. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

As I used to repair Plasma/LCD TV's, it actually happens a fair bit. Freight companies are the biggest issue, most don't give a shit and don't read the labels. We had a replacement panel come in with two holes right through from where a fork lift stabbed it, the freight company still delivered and didn't stick around to get paperwork signed. This national freight company lost the contract.

As the TV is brand new, you are entitled to a replacement on the spot however, if they don't have one in stock, you have to wait. Refund should have been offered but from memory, is not a right/entitlement.

You also have to tread a fine line, going gang-busters on the retailer can quickly see you blamed for "Bending" it.

Always check things before leave the store or on bigger/expensive item, get it delivered. It covers your arse more than you think.

10. davros123

davros123 Member

Hope mine is not bent.

Myer have 20% off tv's so picked up one today for $1919

Looking forward to seeing this bad boy in all it's glory!