My bro's getting artefacts - GPU dying?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sploody, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Sploody

Sploody Member

Hey all,

Probably been asked a billion times already but this is a bit of an odd one -

My bro bought an Asus 1070 Dual a few months back 2nd hand, and about a month ago he started getting some artefacts - Pic and video attached.

He has removed all overclocks, tried underclocking core and vram but this made things worse - he claims overclocking has more stable results.
    Ive suggested taking out display connectors (done), hes tried different display cables. Ive then suggested try the PCIe power cable in a different port in the power supply, as well as a different cable if no change, and finally taking and reseating the GPU - cleaning contacts using either isopropyl or contact cleaner and letting it dry before reseating. Also trying the x8 PCIe slot.

Anything else people can think of? I actually think his card is a dud... downfall of buying through gumtree without documentation but kudos to him on his first build though. Just want it to work for him, so all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    Sploody

Sploody Member

And for his PC specs:

ASUS 1070 Dual 8GB card, i5-9600k + ML360R AIO, ASUS z390-A, 16gb Corsair Vengence 3000MHz ddr4, Corsair RM750x PSU

He's just uploaded a video of the problem. Artefacts even when out of game:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  3. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

If the card has warranty, return it.

If not, take HSF off and reapply all the thermal paste with new better stuff as well as clean out all the dust

4. OP
    OP
    Sploody

Sploody Member

Even if its not a heat issue you reckon that might help?
    and as I said card was 2nd hand - no documentation. would there be a way to return to ASUS based off the serial number?

Also hes just updated me, there are no artefacts until he starts any game.

5. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

It can't do any worse, also when he starts a game, that's starting a 3d application which puts a lot more stress on the card than any web browser ect:

6. Sven76

Sven76 Member

Well if it is really broken and you can't get it warrantied from the serial number then bake it.... this really works have done it to quite a few Mac's as well. The cards generally get another 6 mths ish before issues.

7. Sinisstar

Sinisstar Member

Maybe try increasing the GPU voltage a touch if you haven't already?

adamsleath likes this.
  8. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

+1 if its out of warranty, look solder heats up cools again and again. This causes the connection lose god remember the 8000 nvidia series plagued by the issue. Only other thing would be piss poor power supply but doubt it, drop the card into another machine just to rule out any issues with his.

9. Sledge

Sledge Member

Can you fix this so we can understand what you're saying please?

10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

just a thought; ask whether you / your bro can get some details from the original owner on when it was bought and from where. anyway, if i was seeking a warranty return i would like to be armed with the correct information...(obo the original purchaser)

Asus probably like to see the original packaging etc though.
    https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/677/

nominally not transferrable warranty...but with original receipts and packaging it can be done (I believe) which is a nice thing to pass onto a 2nd hand buyer. say you are the agent doing the warranty return 'on their behalf' who is to know?
    3 years is 3 years. Reasonable you want it to work for that period.

i would try all other avenues before baking the card into oblivion. trusting to pot luck the solder connections are the culprit.
    --

it seems like a classic case of the graphics card glitching. it is possible it is another component i guess.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  11. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Worth a shot swapping leads?

12. Sledge

Sledge Member

try it in another PC?