My cat is getting grumpy

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by zero_velocity, Sep 8, 2011.

1. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

So, I have a cat, her name is Kitty, I did not have much of an imagination when I named her, she was a kitty, so I named her kitty. Anyways she's coming on to be about 10-11 years old now, and I've noticed she is becoming quite grumpy, for instance, 5 minutes ago I picked her up off my computer chair, and put her on my bed, and she started growling at me, and even gave a little hiss.

There is another cat who resides upstairs (hes only a young fella and been kept an indoor cat after he was hit by a car/bike (unsure as to what happened exactly) and she doesnt like him, hes a playful little tike and chases her tail a bit, she just hisses and growls at him, if I try pick her up during she will also hiss and growl at me (she even scratched me once, and has swiped a few times).

After her jsut growling at me, I put her in the shower (not on ofcourse, jsut in there in time out) and I can hear her meowing at me (sounds sad :()

What should I do guys? She has NEVER been like this growing up and I've had her since she was a few months old from the pound

2. millhouse

millhouse Chief Tiger Dentist

Quite popssibly arthritis. A commonly under diagnosed disease in cats. Will cause them to be grumpy, and reduce their activitiy a lot.

Visit your Vet.

3. bevros

bevros Member

Time for a vet visit :( Hope your kitty will be ok pal

4. OP
    OP
    zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Hey guys, something really silly just occurred to me. She has a clear hate for the other cat - understandable, she had been the only cat of the house for about 9 years. -right?

Now say, if I had been handling the other cat, is there a chance his scent was on my hands when I picked her up off the chair and that's what set her off? Just spit balling here, I dont think its arthritis (could be wrong) because she still jumps around my unit way too much....

Could this make sense?

Edit: I only theorize this because shes only ever becomes grumpy when the other cat was involved....

5. AngelMoo

AngelMoo Member

sounds plausible, try picking her up in clean clothes after a shower and see if she's still grumpy.

And don't be ashamed of her name, I had a Kitty too ;)

6. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

I've never owned a cat, got heaps of ferals around which drive me mental... but my aunty and uncle had such awesome imaginations that they cat a cat named Puss and another called Kitty :lol:

so yeah, nothing to be ashamed of there :lol:

7. Linkin

Linkin Member

My can't isn't exactly happy with the smell of other cats (there are three or four including ours around. Two older ones, my cat, and a kitten. They tolerate each other and don't fight) if you pick him up. Kind of like of your partner finds out you're cheating on them :lol:

Still, a trip the vet can't hurt.

8. El Nermo Diablo

El Nermo Diablo Member

We had a cat for about 10 years before we introduced another tabby kitten.

At first she absolutely despised the poor kitten, wouldnt let him near her. We kept them semi separated and monitored their interaction. Eventually they got accustomed to each other. After that they were playing and chasing each other, but occasionally shed just "crack the shits" with him.

Later on she developed a bit of arthritis as well, and became even moodier. Sadly we lost her about a year ago when she was hit by a car :upset: we have introduced a himalayan kitten to the surviving tabby, they are just best of mates now :)

Could be a bit of both, but gonna agree with other people here, more likely arthritis. Vets can provide advice and help you manage it pretty easily.

9. dreamaxx

dreamaxx (Banned or Deleted)

You should go to the vet... Sometimes behavioural changes can be psychological, but also physiological, i.e. endocrine disorders so I would get her checked out (blood tests). Good luck :)

10. bboredd

bboredd Member

Totally late reply. I hope your cat has seen the vet by now.

Time for a T4 test or thyroid panel to the states. Maybe some I131 might help!

11. Intensity

Intensity Member

I had an old Russian blue named smokey we had her for about 13 years.

And the same thing happened, we took her to the VET and she did not have arthritis. They just told us it was just old age and the cat probably just wants to be left alone and do its own thing.

As for you second post, she's most likely territorial, after 9 years and getting old and another cat comes into the equation, so you kinda have to understand what she wants.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  12. brocky2006

brocky2006 Member

im goin to go with vet, but a check u can do is a gentle squeeze around the base of the tail/spine hip area and some of the back leg joints.

not too tight, just like us they can hurt, but if its gentle u will know if it hurt cause she will pull away more. more than just wanting to be put down, u know the cat better than anyone else.

same if u see her getting up after a nap and its a bit slower/tender than she used to be.

edit: she may feel that she is being replaced, try to spend more time with her, feel that she isnt the 2nd cat.