1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

My cat seems bored... please help?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by ShadowBurger, Oct 16, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

ha. my cat is like yours PsychoSmiley, the social one. If I go in my room to sleep at night and shut the door behind me she goes MENTAL trying to get in to sleep on my bed. It's quite adorable. If I go out to the garage she'll wait at the door for me to come back in. she'll wait for me to have showers. etc.

funny thing is she hates my housemates and bites them if they touch her

2. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

She doesn't go mental oddly. She's very patient. She got locked in the toilet for a couple of hours once and never complained, she hust laid down and waited. She loves everybody though. She'll rub all over tradies who will come in to fix something.

3. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

I don't know if this is possible or not in the circumstance but over the decades I've been party to a couple of shared cat deals. Mind you at first an unwitting party, only the cat knew the deal, sneaky things them cats be.

4. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Check out da bird toy. Or the cheaper equivalent from happy house cats. I linked to them in the cat thread recently. It's a wand with a bunch of feathers on the end of a string. It's good because you can flick it around while watching TV etc...

Our cat needs a solid hour out two of play in the evenings otherwise he makes sleeping very hard for us. This toy was a godsend. That and lasers but he nearly had a heart attack he was so excited by it that we haven't tried again.

It really is your responsibility to make sure she is entertained and mentally stimulated. One of the downsides to keeping them inside. But I think the benefits are worth it.

Have you got a cat tree of some sort? You can get cheap ones on Ebay.

Edit:

Other cheap toys we use are:

- Cut round holes in a smallish box (only big enough for paw to fit inside) and put treats inside.
    - Boxes in general
    - Soft drink bottle lids flicked around
    - Socks
    - Gloves

You can also look up clicker training. It can be a fun thing to do with them and provides mental stimulation. I've taught sit, come and shake (sort of).

Another thing. We are looking at getting a second cat to keep our current one company at the moment too. The general consensus seems to be that the younger they both are the better the chances of them getting along.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012