My DIY Projector....for all you non-believers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Yoodaa, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

My DIY Projector....from 15" to 12FT in 3 weeks.

Heres a few pics from my DIY projector. YES it really works. Im not able to specify how it was made, but i can tell you the plans can be bought from lumenlab.com, and the projector can be made for about $600 Australian. If any of you have looked into this and though...."thats a load of", well this proves you wrong. I was originally going to go for a overhead projector setup like on toms hardware, but this is much more adjustable, and the results really dont compare. The globe lasts 30,000 plus hours!! and only cost $60 aus. Thats years of entertainment for only $60. The image I am looking at is about 12ft. The pictures are really hard to take, but the image is as clear as anything in real life, as most of the screenies show you, accept the world of warcraft one which i have trouble taking photos of for some reason. It really is the best thing ive spent my money on. This was the way games/movies were meant to be watched/played. Anyways, enjoy guys.....cause i certainly am. Feel free to pm me with any q's on the beast.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  2. Thraxeh

Thraxeh Member

isnt this just one of those $15 magnifier things from ebay ? or what ?

edit: btw it looks very good!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  3. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Ahhh.......no its not....like i said it cost about $600 aus to build, and it uses a few high qaulity lenses that need to be bought. Please.....do you think some $15 e-bay crap would look anywhere near this good? No...its not a crappy gimmick....

4. puls3

puls3 Member

more photos, i love eyecandy.

edit: how long did it take you to build?

5. pippin88

pippin88 Member

Telling us what's in it would not be breaking copyright or anything.

6. Elder

Elder Member

It looks bloody fine to me, even ignoring any camera shot degrading.

Can you give some more photo's of the actual unit? the pic doesn't show much
    were most the parts ordered from overseas?
    what lcd?

I'm very interested in making one of these. I have family and friends on the lookout for a overhead projector at the moment but the improvement you have is pretty obvious.

7. alxx

alxx Member

Yeah details please!

What lenses ? what controller ?
    where did you get the parts ?

whats the specs , scan rate etc

stuff we would need to build our own please

8. sciencewhiz

sciencewhiz Member

Any chance of a picture of the projector so that we can get an idea of it's size, please?

9. whitetoeddog

whitetoeddog Member

looks cool,

checked out the site lumenlabs.com, I'm guessing thats 19.95 USD that you paid for the plans?

as mentioned, some dimensions of the box would be great

10. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

I sourced all the parts in Australia which is good for us aussies. I think i was the first to do so actually!. Got the bulb and stuff from middy's, and the electronics to control the globe from hydrostore.com.au. The lenses are bought via lumenlab store. Bassically brainchild, the creater of the guide and projector plans has sourced lenses that are compatable for this project. I think he actually gets them manufactured!. They are a high quality acrylic lense, not some flimsy ebay crap....i investigated all possibilities! The LCD is a CMV 520D LCD 15" monitor (1024 X 768) that is pulled apart and stripped down to the bare lcd glass component and electronics. The quality is amazing. I have looked at many projectors in stores and seen none, apart from the 6k plus ones that compare to the quality of this. Its about 2.5 foot long, a foot wide, and a foot tall. I have pics of the unit on my camera, but havent had a chance to offload them yet. If you are interested, and serious about building one, just take my word and buy the guide, its only $30 Aus, and you also get access to the forums which provides endless help and support. It really will be the best $30 u ever spent! Im not trying to sell this, its just out of respect. I really dont want to say much more about the design cause brainchild helped me many times with the project and i respect him enough not to ruin his business. I will have a pic up soon guys of the actual unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

12. Elder

Elder Member

Hm very tempting, dunno about buying instructions though even if its only $30. Will have to do some research.

13. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Yeah he is using the lumenlab plans. Im sure you can probably get the guide somewhere on the web...but...if you ask me its the forum access thats the key. Sure you could get the plans to build it, but when something goes wrong, or you need to ask a question...who better than the guys who build em!!!. Clever on brainchilds behalf if you ask me. And good luck to him. It took about 3 solid weekends to make, including the 4 day easter weekend, and a heap of planning/replanning....Elder....if your interested...just buy the dam guide! Its only $30....it wont kill you. You could try DIYprojectorcompany.com which offer another method of build. Howerver, i belive they are not as good as the lumenlab build, quality wise, and construction seems more difficult. As for WoW...its absolutly perfect in real life. Like i said i have real trouble getting those shots to come out correctly.

14. hlokk

hlokk Member

I'm looking to do this myself (had to wait since jan to get the funds though :upset: ). Can you provide a link to the site u got the bulbs from and more info about the bulbs (power, temp, etc). www.hydrostore.com.au isnt loading (least for me).

Also, for everyone else you can get the plans online for free and help from forums and such, but i guess one of the advantages with the lumenlab guide would be that the guide is setup in a really easy to read format (not snippets on individual pages) and it would also be exactly tailored to the lens's (plus you are helping people out).

15. s.Neo

s.Neo Member

Considering the size of the vga plug, that wooden box looks massive!

16. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Like i said its about 2.5 foot long, 1 foot hight, and 1 foot wide. I never said it was a potable pocket size projector :p. It can be easily moved however.

17. OCIT

OCIT Member

before i buy these plans, what are the projection details.....

ie, the box is big, but how far from the wall etc do you need to be for a good sized projection....

Like most are around 1.5m away from wall to produce a 2m image.

18. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Hi OCIT. Bassically the projection image is on a scale of 1:1. So if you have the box at 12ft from the wall, your image will be about 12ft. Apparently the image can reach 16ft with a properly built one before you start seeing the image suffering. I am sure mine could do this as im currenty running a 12ft screen with no problems at all. The box is big. I have no problems admitting that. Thats what you pay the big dollars for. Compactness. I have no intention of moving my projector around, until i move out that is, and its all in the one box anyway so its a sinch to move. Its not a portable projector, and by portable i mean fit in your suitcase, but by all means you could pick it up, throw it in the car, and take it to a friends house or something. Hope thats helped your decision. Cheers. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  19. OCIT

OCIT Member

Thanks, thats useful...

Should mean, in a permant setup i can expect an image of 7ft, which isnt bad....

Is it widesrcreen? or soes it do widescreen without having it produce black boarders like if you played something in windows?

20. OP
    OP
    Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

It does widescreen, just like if you were playing it on a monitor. Remember the LCD screen inside is just a normal 15" lcd monitor stripped down. So whatever you would normally see on that you will have rpojected onto the wall. It puts the black bars ontop and below the image. In a black room, it just looks like its widescreen....you wouldnet know the difference bassically. Most movies i watch are widescreen.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005