My experiences with iPhone dev

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by macBdog, May 2, 2009.

1. macBdog

macBdog Member

Hi chaps,

I've just gone through the hassle of getting an application approved for sale in the AppStore. It's taken a team of three devs about 4 months working on and off (all got full time jobs) to get the app done, details are here:

http://www.confessionboothapp.com/

Writing the app was about the same difficulty as dealing with apple to get the thing out in the wild, here were the main hurdles for anyone who's interested:

* App worked really nice in the sim, whole different kettle of fish on the hardware look and functionality wise. If you are considering it, work on the hardware most of the time
    * As our app has some network code, it behaved much differently on 3G/edge to being on wifi. A few decent bugs cropped up as a results of this
    * Dealing with Apple AUS for paperwork and registration is a waste of time. The people you speak to on the phone are useless, ask you to fax forms in (ABN registration, company name etc) and then you wind up having to upload them via the iTunes account anyway. The paper copies just end up in a black hole.
    * Tax/payment agreement wording and details are a bit of a minefield and very US centric... some AUS devs end up having to put in dummy data for required fields etc.
    * Amount of time that it takes Apple to get back with approval/answers to questions is a bit much. We waited a few weeks for one simple email.
    * Apple testing is obviously pretty lax, they missed a huge bug, luckily it was fixable.
    * Review process was pretty quick, around 1 week.
    * Can't get sales figures until the month is out argh!

Hope that's useful for anyone thinking about giving it a go, also a bit of a plug for the app try it out if you have an iPhone. Saw plenty of downloads of it through Appulous hehe. I see they are apparantly being pursued by Apple now.

2. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Like the app mate. Pretty funny and yet not such a bad idea!

So how much is it going for?

And also, cant believe apple are such pricks, especially when they can let a baby shaking game get out there very easily without any issues lol.

3. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Ill probably buy it just to support an OCAU app developer

Cheers

Z

4. GregDude

GregDude Member

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I know many of my programming friends have jumped onto iPhone dev with the hopes of becoming overnight thousandairs as seen in the news.

5. res

res Member

Nice write up, dealing with Apple is not the most fun but it is a necessary evil if you want to make money.

Best of luck with the application :thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    macBdog

macBdog Member

Thanks guys, it's $1.00 in the Appstore, haven't really put much promotion into it yet, will be interesting to see how it goes.

Approaching 500 confessions so far, have seen at least 2 that have been "I didn't pay for this application" haha.

7. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

ahh ok.. so its just share a secret on the iphone.. neat idea :)

8. Silenius

Silenius Member

Make sure you game the app reviews. Don't just make it shining praise, talk about a few niggling things, but say that it's an awesome app.

9. OP
    OP
    macBdog

macBdog Member

Is that the reviews on iTunes? I really should install that haha...

10. BGH

BGH Member

I wish Google would get off their asses and enable Aussie Android developers do create paid apps as well. I've just started developing my app that I would like to charge for once it is finished.

Hopefully dealing with Google is a bit less painful than dealing with Apple.

Did you guys have any obj C experience before you took on the project? If not, how did you learn?

11. Luke212

Luke212 Member

apple has online programming guides. they looked pretty good when i skimmed though them

12. OP
    OP
    macBdog

macBdog Member

Yea I mainly concentrated on the backend stuff but really just reading the apple guides and going through the examples.

We made a magic 8 ball application first then had a massive facepalm moment when we checked the appstore and found like ten free ones.

13. BGH

BGH Member

I have an idea for a paid app. Although I don't like iPhones or Apple's implementation of them, I may have to develop my app for it soon if Google don't hurry up and activate paid apps for Aussie and devs.

How has your app gone so far? Made much money?

14. res

res Member

BGH: Have you setup a Google Checkout account yet?

I have seen people from other countries besides US and UK starting to release paid applications.

15. BGH

BGH Member

Haven't tried a checkout account but to sell apps you need a merchant account which is only available to US/UK. You have to provide tax details etc when you create it.

16. res

res Member

I didn't have to provide any tax details when creating my Google Checkout account, I had to give them my bank details and then verify the deposit amounts from Google. I am pretty sure Google Checkout is available worldwide, the back end of Android Market for developers uses this system. Abduction which is available for purchase is from an Australian developer in Sydney.

I will have a look tomorrow and see if I can setup an account registered to my Australian address.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  17. OP
    OP
    macBdog

macBdog Member

Don't have the figures yet but we have around 400 users going from the database stats.

I thought this was a bit crap until I heard there are over 1000 iPhone apps released each week. Madness.

18. BGH

BGH Member

I already have a google checkout account. I created one when I had to pay the $25 Android developer fee. I just cant create a merchant account to sell stuff with. Would be interested to know how that Aussie dev set one up.

1000 apps per week, dayum! Must be so easy for apps to just get lost in the wilderness with that sort of competition.

19. res

res Member

Have you contacted any of the iPhone app review sites?

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  20. OP
    OP
    macBdog

macBdog Member

Submitted to AppCraver today.. do you have any recommendations for other ones?