my first intel game computer - qx9650

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Chronicles, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Boxman

Boxman Member

Haha you're not wrong. I failed to see that. It looks like there might be some pricing pressure from the new card afterall. Give it some more time I guess.

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=8800GTS+512MB

2. OP
    OP
    Chronicles

Chronicles Member

how is the gts faster than the gtx? or are you talking about sli gts vs single gtx? if you mean single vs single i dont see how, gtx has faster clock, faster ram, bigger memory bandwidth etc. or is the gts faster at lower resolutions?

i'm running at 1920x1200 res so the lower resolution senario is useless to me.

ps whats the oldest computer who have ever owned.

3. RAiMA

RAiMA (Banned or Deleted)

The "NEW" gts is faster than the current GTX single vs single. The technology is 65nm vs 90nm. Feel free to correct me, I think the 65nm version is about 40% faster than the 90nm counterpart.

4. Boxman

Boxman Member

I would be careful with hard numbers at this stage, but it doesn't seem to be near 40% across the board. Sounds like you are comparing the 8800GTX and G92 GTS here, but that's obviously not right.

G80 or the core for the current 88xx series are based on an 80nm process node by TSMC. G92, the new 8800GT and 8800GTS 512Mb card cores are based off a 65nm TSMC process node. G92 was never actually designated for a top end core. It's more of a mid-end core refresh with a few enhancements given that the new NVIDIA 9 series is due in a few months, which assumably will be a top end release.

Back to something more inline with the topic..... :D

First PC that I played games on was probably an old 486 box with your bog standard Intel board at the time. Next was a P2 266 MXX with an Matrox 16MB card of some description. After that probably the P4 northwood box I have sitting next to me with a MX440 card in it. Then I went mainstream and got into a s939 AMD system first with a 3700+ Sandy, to an Opteron 148, to the Opteron 170 DC which is in my sig. Before the 7900GS I had a 6600GT which pulled the frames ok at low res. Looking at doing a bit of consolidation this holidays with a bit video encoding project, so I will be going the Q6600 + P35 combo with the usual bells and whistles. Hopefully I can snag a good price for a HD3870 or 8800GT with a mate coming back from HK soon.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  5. lowdog

lowdog Member

Um, I don't think there is ANY concrete evidence to back up this claim, next gen from Nvidia is totally uncertain, might not even materalize until Q2-Q4 08 if at all next year. All depends what AMD/ATI has to offer, and if their offering is crap then expect it latter than sooner.

GTX is still the king of the hill atm.

6. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

They reckon nivdia and ati workin thier high end/new products in 18 months cycles now, not the usual 12 months as they been doin last couple of years, cause they losing too much money with R and D. So assuming that rite..18 months.. 8800GTX released nov 06... bit of luck u looking at a may 2008 series 9 release.. i hope :).

Bak to the topic of this thread lol :D Get luck with ur qx9650, i mite wait til the intel nehalems 32nm chips are released b4 my next upgrade

7. OP
    OP
    Chronicles

Chronicles Member

i need the luck atm.
    having cpu init/det dram problems with my blitz extreme mobo :upset:
    i've been told to get generic ram to test, set the correct settings for my ocz ram and change the ram back to the ocz.

now where do i get generic ddr3 ram???

8. OP
    OP
    Chronicles

Chronicles Member

finally got it to post after stripping everything out except mobo/cpu/ram/video.

got into bios and set ram voltage to 1.8 instead of the dafault 1.5.
    runs a lot better now.

9. youngpro

youngpro Member

im jealous i need a blitz extreme, the p5e3 ws pro doesnt clock ram like the blitz does!

10. r3s

r3s Member

actually the 8800 ultra is king of the hill :p