My first model shoot (alone)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by birdie, Nov 1, 2010.

1. birdie

birdie Member

Well today I did my first model shoot alone since doing Ed and Dave's glamour workshop...

It was great to get back to using my camera again after a long spell this year with very little photography due to full-time work and full-time uni commitments..., so now that uni has finished for this year, I've got some spare time again...

Anyway I got contacted by a local model on ModelMayhem to do a TFCD shoot, so i thought great I'm up for it...

So here are a few quick edits from today, the first one is the only one that's been into photoshop (for a bit of smoothing) the rest I've only used Lightroom for now... until I get some more time to PS them as well...

All shot on manual mode on my 40D (exif is still intact, so you can check my settings if you wish) and I used just one light: a Nikon SB-28 in a 60x60cm (ebay) softbox... I think for a couple of the shots, I could have used a second strobe, or maybe just a bigger softbox...

Let me know what you think of them (and of my PS on the first shot)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

#1, #3 and #4 is nice.

She has a birthmark on her knee yeah? Should be an easy fix.

The front grass in #1 is a little distracting but overall I like the light and I do like the B&W of #3

Did you shoot and head shots of her at all?
    :thumbup:

3. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

#3, #4 and #5 are my favourite. #1 would be but you need to watch backgrounds, that chain is really distracting.

4. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure it is a birthmark... but whats the etiquette as far as removing them? I didn't think it was right to remove them? but maybe thats only for portraits (as in like family portraits, etc) and not for fashion? maybe I'll ask the model if she wants me to remove it or not?

Nah I didn't shoot any head shoots... The tightest crop I did was half body shots... thats something to remember for my next shoot :)

5. clockwork

clockwork Member

I agree with the distraction of the chain in #1.

Also the stray hair in #5 reminds me of Cameron Daiz and the "hair gel' in Something About Mary.

Last comment is that all the shots are centred. Maybe worthwhile playing with the rule of thirds to give a bit of variety.

Overall I like the shots. The PP in #1 is subtle and adds a look of innocence. I like. (Now just clone out the chain)

6. ehor

ehor Member

Good stuff Daniel :thumbup:

Just need to get poses down pat but I guess she's heaps new to it as you can tell she's 'stiff' in her poses.

7. MatchTheClown

MatchTheClown Member

She looks like she was having a bit of trouble relaxing...

You didn't do the shoot naked with a boner or something did you?

It feels like she needed someone doing an austin powers and making her pose like a tiger etc.

I guess that might just be down the to amount of experience the model has anyhow I guess *Shrug*

You captured her pretty well regardless, I don't know anything about photography... :)

8. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

Ok, I got to editing the photos today... I've done some subtle airbrushing on each one... I've done some tighter cropping, and selected a couple of slightly different photos... I've lightened her birthmark... hopefully thats ok...

Here's the 10 I plan on delivering to the model... On that topic, what's the standard res to deliver photos to a model at? (resized? full-size?) And its normal to deliver with a watermark right? how's my watermark?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

Thanks Ed :) I'm pretty happy with the results considering it was my first shoot alone...

Yeah I don't know how much photo-shoot's she's done... she did talk about doing work for one of the local promotional modelling agency's (doing TV local TV ad's etc) but yeah...

I was very nervous going into the shoot though, I was paranoid about not being able to deliver decent results, so i guess she may have been able to tell that I was 100% relaxed myself...

Haha, no I was fully clothed with no boner... haha

As I mentioned above I probably could have helped more if I was a bit more relaxed myself...

Hopefully going to do a couple more shoots with her before she heads back to SA at Christmas time...

10. CAPS LOCK

CAPS LOCK Member

i might be picking at straws here, but if you'd like some critique:
    #1 - left side of face is quite shiny, also there is a wiked black curve top right of lip. perfect otherwise
    #2 - nice lighting and good texture. Stance looks odd though
    #3 - looks good. there is a slight barely noticeable blemish on the left boob. Possible to photoshop some of the dead twigs out near her hand?
    #4 - nothing i can really nitpick at
    #5 - I like it. The greyscale sets it right off :thumbup:
    #6 - texture is good, natural colours. Maybs soften the veins in her feet?
    #7 - Good again. Maybe soften the veins. She looks like she needs to pee in that stance. Can't help but notice the crinkles. Model's left foot (our perspective) is slightly out of shoe.
    #8 - That gate looks ever so slightly blurry. Good colours, but again, the gate could look more a more 'rusty' colour.
    #9 - :thumbup:
    #10 - :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

I was just looking at my hosting account today, and I noticed I had a massive spike in my bandwidth usage, and I was trying to work it out... well I worked it out, I moved 11.90GB all because of this thread and the amount of views (plus being in the front page helped too) :D

12. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

good comments so far..

my one thought after looking at all of them briefly is that you have composed ALL of the photos with the model stuck bang in the centre of frame ..

try altering the composition a bit - play with rule of thirds and golden ratios .. give her some space to look into and use..

for a first effort shoot though - fabulous stuff!