~ My First Water Cooled Rig ~ Suggestions Please ~

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Arc, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Arc

Arc Member

Hey Guys,

I thought new years day would be a good day to post my very first water cooled set-up.

This is the first stage, if this runs well for a few months I will add a GPU block.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments you might have.

Specifications

Case: Superlanboy
    PSU: X-Connect UV Blue
    Mobo: IC7 Max 3
    CPU: 2.4C @ 3.42Ghz 285fsb 5:4 divider
    RAM: OCZ 4000 Gold Rev 2 2x256
    GPU: Powercolor 6900XT 128meg
    H20: Swiftect 120 H20 Kit rev2 Bare / Dangerden TDX Block
    Hardrive: Seagate 80 gig SATA

p.s. I like the factory modded look even though some think it's ricey.

[​IMG]

Your classic SuperRiceBoy Shot :lol:

[​IMG]

I have this fan sucking the air through the Shroud and Rad out of the
    case, because the 120mm at the front is pulling air in.

[​IMG]

The X-Connect sends braided cables everywhere.

[​IMG]

The tubing went over the larger barbs with a little hot water.

[​IMG]

There was a good 0.5mm clearence between the Rad and PSU mount. Plenty of room. :)

[​IMG]

This was as far as I could get these sleeves in. Is this enough? :Paranoid:

[​IMG]

Swiftech 650, as if you didn't know. Thats bolted to the floor.

[​IMG]

This Res was a perfect fit.

[​IMG]

Go easy on me guys it's my first attempt ;)

EDIT

"Go easy" statement retracted.

Get your gloves off and give me your best shot. How I could improve this setup?

Oh, I nearly forgot the temps. This has got my overclocked PSU down to 44-45 degrees idol, this is down from the low 50's with the SP94. Now you MUST consider my location in this equation. Up here in Central Queensland in summer the ambient temps are just terrible and it has a big impact on the temps. This winter the idol temps should drop into the 30's.

The great news is under load the temperature only rises to 50 degrees as opposed to 58degs on the SP94 and 65degs on the stock cooler.

Just remember these are my CQ summer temps.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  2. NoOzL

NoOzL (Banned or Deleted)

Nice mate. Can u show us a pic of the res from the front? I am thinking of gettin 1 with my setup and i wanna know if it is worth it

3. PraZStaR

PraZStaR Member

Nice work, looks good :) :) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    Arc

Arc Member

Thanks NoOzL and PraStaR,

NoOzL here is a picture of the Res and a picture of the front of my case behind the door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see that it fits perfectly into the drive bay. There is about 10mm between the Res and the Cover plate.

Cheers Mate.

5. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

very nicely done there :thumbup:

6. NoOzL

Dun look to bad. Can you see the coolant splashin around in it with a light behind?

7. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

Nice work. Looks far better than my first attempt.

So that subing is 3/8" not 1/2" and in some places you have put it over 1/2barbs?

Only thing i'm dubious about is your hose clamps.

8. Maris

Maris Member

Looks very nice, you have to have the tidiest desk i have ever seen....ever.

Also, whats your impressions on your x-connect psu? Ive been thinking of getting one but not sure if the heft price is worth it. :confused:

9. OP
    OP
    Arc

Arc Member

@ NoOzL

If you still mean the Res I am going to say no. You can see the green coolant inside it, but it’s only a faint colour. You will also want to get that Res as full as you can, to minimise turbulence.

The water is fairly flying around this loop with that 650 pushing it. Even though the Res is designed to keep that tiny bit of air trapped at the top out of the loop, about every 7mins I can hear it go zinging down to the pump. It’s so fast though you can barely see it. The flow kind of drags it into a few small bubbles as it leaves the Res.

@ petfoodonly,

The whole kit is ½ inch OD or 3/8 ID (except the res to pump) and yes I just slipped it over the ½ inch OD barbs on the Block. It wasn’t as hard as I thought; I think the trick is to just heat about ½ inch of the end up, that gives you stiff tube to push with. If you heat too much up it’s like wrestling a wet noodle.

I weighted up the pros and cons of the hose clamps. I finally decided to use them because this is my first setup and I was paranoid. I understand the argument of the uneven pressure they can apply and I made sure I got good quality ones, that when done up kept a nice circle. You may have noticed I don’t have one on the Res.

@ Maris,

I have a mandate that if it’s not going to look good, it’s not going in. So the $227 I paid was well worth it. You can’t get the blue ones in the Australia ATM. I imported that one from frozencpu in New York. It was only 20 bucks more than what I would have bought it for here. They got it to me in 5 working days. (blew me away) It’s as good as it looks in the pictures and reasonable quiet. I think it’s worth it. Hell at 500watts I wont need any more power than that.

P.S. Keeping my desktop tidy is not easy with the wife and kids. But it’s my space God DAM IT. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  10. NoOzL

Would u recommend gettin 1 tho? I am gonna have a UV laser behind it anyway so hopefully it should light up

11. OP
    OP
    Arc

Arc Member

How about this NoOzL,

I just shoved a small Mag Light up against the side of the case and well judge for yourself.

[​IMG]

Sorry about the poor picture quality, I have taken all of these with a Handy Cam. Handy Cams are great at video but not so good at photos.

12. NoOzL

I am soo gettin 1 now :D

13. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

Yeh, i was wondering about the lack of hose clamp on the res. I'm paranoid so i clamp everything and it's dog (even the cap on my T line, lol). I didn't see the hose clamps on the pump. Is the screw part turned to the back so it looks neat, or are the hose clams differnt to the ones i'm used to?

14. vortexkrow

vortexkrow Member

nice, i really like it. Would you be able to list all the sites you got from and what parts and price if you could thanks.

15. Torin

Torin Member

So where is the modding in this project? You keep referring to modding, yet I don't see any.

And how does modding = rice?

16. Maris

Maris Member

Geez, calm down a little Torin.

17. OP
    OP
    Arc

Arc Member

@ petfoodonly,

The clamps you can see on the pump were on it when I bought the bare kit. Those are more like crimps than worm geared hose clamps. There is a small hose clamp above it holding the ½ inch OD onto that assembly, but it’s out of shot.

The truth about the Res is that I couldn’t find the perfect hose clamp and I just wanted to get on with it. I will get one soon, for now it’s the zip tie from the kit.

The only thing I don’t like about the set-up is the kits Rad fan. It moves over 70cfm but it’s too loud. What fans are you using? How loud are they? Whats a good quite 120mm fan?

@ vortexkrow,

I got the kit and the block from http://davidandkarma.com.au

The kit is a Swiftech Bare H20 120 (Rev 2) on special for $226.36
    That included the Rad/Fan, 650 pump, Res, Tubing and Coolant additive.

The Block is a Dangerden TDX and it cost $80.91

Because of the special, delivery was free so all up, plus GST, the water cooling was $338.

The only thing I had to buy was distilled water and a few hose clamps, though I could have used the included zip ties.

Oh I forgot, I purchased a 120mm plastic shroud. See http://www.pccasegear.com/prod1247.htm

Actually, I thought this was the most expensive part, considering it was about $30 delivered and it’s just a small piece of plastic.

But then again this is where the issue of “time vs. money” comes in. Because you are not going to get a perfectly fitting single piece shroud, unless you spend a load of money constructing a mould and you own an injection moulder.

I still consider myself a modder, even though I now buy factory modded parts.

@ Torin,

You make a valid point Torin, while I have cut holes in cases in the past, for blow holes and windows etc etc, dabbled in painting, used coke bottle lids to prop up PCI cards and bits of esky to dampen sound; I have indeed modified this set-up very little.

I have however, researched and hand picked every piece of this entire system, including the factory modified ones, with a specific modded look in mind.

I believe I have successfully combined those components into a respectable visual outcome.

If you can think of a way that I could have modded a case to include a window and east-west (ruber mounted) drives bays, as well as a windowed UV Blue modular PSU, for less than $400, that looks just as good, then you’re a better modder than I.

See edited statement in first post.

18. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

19. OP
    OP
    Arc

Arc Member

Yer thanks petfoodonly, I just read it.

At that price, it would be worth giving them a go. I was wondering if their actually SilenX, because searching finds a lot of people say how the SIlenX are rebadged rip-offs. People seem happy with them though.

20. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

yeh, the silenx fans confuse me. People rage about them being rip-off's but i can't find anyone in aus that sells the non-rebaged versions and no one seems to have any grips with the fans aside from the price. I dont know what the story is.