My HDT-S1283 review (sad ending) 56k warning

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by ir0nhide, Mar 10, 2008.

1. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

So folks, I posted a little while ago that I was shortly to get my hands on a relatively cheap and good performing HSF; the Xigmatek HDT-1283.

The folks at PC Case Gear gladly complied, and a few dollars (and days) later I had one in my hot little hands. I'll try to restrict this review to the installation experiences, as there are many reviews (mainly the excellent one at frostytech) that tell you all the rest you need to know.

This cooler has a basic feel to it, and is much lighter than its bulk suggests. Its main feature is the direct touch heat pipes, whereby the (larger than normal) heat pipes make direct contact with the heatspreader rather than grabbing the heat after it has passed through the base of the heatsink.

You can see in the following pic the base of the heatsink with a thin layer of Coollaboratory Liquid Pro all over it; this now reflective surface messed with my camera somewhat:

[​IMG]

One of my main concerns was whether or not it would fit in my little case but as it turns out I need not have feared. It slotted in with a minimal increase in footprint over the stock intel cooler, and JUST clears the left hand side of the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only niggle was getting the fan on as the PSU was a bit in the way (you need to put the fan on after attaching the standard intel mounting pins. these sit surprisingly well against the board).

In she went, and boy was I impressed by two things; at low speed this fan spins VERY slowly (speedfan reports 290rpm!) and in fact the cpu temperature was so low, the fan stopped half the time while idle! Under load, the improvement was just as great, with the temps hovering around 47 degrees (15 degrees better than the stock intel cooler).

Naturally, I was rapt, and immediately started squeezing a few extra MHz out of the front side bus.

Sadly, this joy was short lived. After about 30 mins, I noticed my cpu temps starting to spike.

"No worries, must be one of the stock mounting clips come loose" I thought to myself, as I confirmed that the cooler was now sagging off the motherboard at an angle.

Naturally my slight annoyance turned to horror when I discovered the real reason for the mounting issue:

The base of the sink had BROKEN COMPLETELY AWAY ON ONE SIDE!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am thankful that I acted quickly and didnt end up with a cooked chip (or damaged internals from a falling HSF onto an 8800gts).

I'm shooting PCCG an email shortly to ask for their advice.

I'll keep this post updated with what happens in the future.

(pics coming soon).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. Schnapper

Schnapper Member

You'll find that was a manufacturing fault. I do belive that there might ahve been a hairline crack and once heated the ever so slight expansion of the heatsink manage to shear it off the bolts.

But I'll jsut say I think you're very lucky it didn't smash the GTS!

3. OP
    OP
    ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I know! I'm glad i had the side of my case off at the time :wired:

4. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Hope you get it sorted quickly, PCCG have always been good to me :D

5. stuii

stuii Member

yeah... well even if nothing else that should just be an outright replacement and since no permanent harm done there should be no complications.

Edit - best of luck!

6. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Im looking at getting one of these mate , did you get this issue sorted ?

:thumbup: