My latest custom rig...

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Ratzz, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I started with some connect-it aluminium square tubing, 25mm OD, and plastic connectors you can buy in all kinds of configurations to hold it all together with. Cut to size, pushed together with a bit of glue just to be sure, and I have a metal frame.

I had an matx sheetmetal mobo tray I've been meaning to use on something, so I cut it down for this, which is a somewhat oversized itx build.

I've attached that, with some brackets and stuff to support PSU, res and pump etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A squirt of paint and it looks like this.

[​IMG]

Then stick some stuff in it.
    Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
    16GB DDR4-2400 (I have a 32GB 3200 kit in another rig I plan to stick into this one soon)
    GTX 970
    45mm 280mm rad
    At the bottom you can see the xspc dualbay res and d5, next to the Silverstone 750W Gold modular PSU.

[​IMG]

From the other side. Noctua Redux fans on the rad. There is a Samsung 850 Evo hanging behind the mobo in this pic, until I was able to get my Samsung 950 Pro.

[​IMG]

Rear view

[​IMG]

The plan was to make a marine ply cover for the frame, veneer and polish it, etc.

The wooden cover pictured was my first attempt, but it was too heavy with 12mm marine ply.

[​IMG]

I made a new frame with lighter wood, still marine ply though.. Unfortunately my skills seem lacking, I simply could not make the veneer stick without bubbling after a couple days. After using multiple adhesives, methods etc, and watching a thousand youtube videos, I just gave up. I'm wondering if it isnt something to do with it being marine ply.. something in the treatment of the wood?

So I just used the aluminium frame in an open case for awhile, leaving the timber cover in the rain in disgust.

In the meantime, some more work on the rig. 4 cleats screwed to the frame, some shock cord, and I have a 200mm fan which can be removed and replaced in 5 seconds. This is a good thing, its in the way if you want to work on anything.. but take it away and access to every part of the computer is a breeze.

Its probably not necessary when it comes down to it, but since the only other fans are the rad fans and the PSU fan, I thought some additional airflow couldn't hurt. And hey, it looks cool :thumbup:

[​IMG]

The PSU sucks its air from underneath. Its mounted on the 25mm frame, so it has a 25mm space under it to draw air from within the bottom of the case and expel it out the back. There are no external holes for an intake. There are no obstructions to airflow at the back of the PSU, I believe its getting enough air. The fan rarely runs anyway.

On the top, the GTX 970 (Gainward Phantom) has plenty of room.
    I even had room for a bleed valve at the top of the GPU.

[​IMG]

Since the case will have nothing at all on the front, not even a power switch, it all has to be remotely done. Here you see my braided remote cable set which heads up to the monitor. I'll install a proper connector here so that my remote cable can be unplugged, and an additional on/off button for when it is. The back of the machine is all I really have left to do now.

[​IMG]

The remote cable goes to the little box with the red and green LED with the rat sitting on it. The black button is the power button, red is power and green is hdd activity. To the right of that is a 5 port powered USB 3.0 hub, and a little further to the right with the other rat sitting on it is a USB burner.

Thats the router just behind the left rear of the TV.

[​IMG]

The 950 Pro is now installed. Plenty of room for cooling, 25mm clearance behind it and hopefully at least a little flow from that 200mm fan.

[​IMG]

On the other side are 3 laptop drives. I will probably shift these to the back, there is plenty of room. I only have 4 SATA ports so I will pick up a 4th drive. Currently 2x1TB and 1x2TB but I'll eventually sort it so there are 4x2TB behind the mobo somewhere.

[​IMG]

I pulled the box in out of the rain, and scraped all the old veneer, glue, etc off it in about 10 seconds. The box is in perfect condition under all that though.. so I covered it in speaker carpet. Fuck the veneer :lol:

The metal corners in the box are just stoppers, the frame will be attached from the other end. In addition, they give the powerful little magnets I embedded in the front (filter) cover something to adhere to, since the actual frame is aluminium.

The metal angle on the top and bottom of the box obviously help with strength, but they also make it a nice snug fit, and with the plastic angle on the bottom of the frame, the whole frame slides beautifully in and out of the box on its aluminium 'runners'.

[​IMG]

Like so....

[​IMG]

The front cover is just another bit of marine ply, covered in standard speaker cloth. It will get dirty quickly, as it is the only intake on the computer, but the wife can just hit it with the Dyson everytime she does the floors :lol: It is of course just held in with strong little magnets, so is easily removed for cleaning too.

I had the Ratzz Custom Computers badge made just to set it all off :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, the end result. Its fast. Its quiet. Its totally unique, not another like it in the world :D Its incredibly easy to work on. And its considerably larger than I had planned on.

Lets call it Mark I. Improvements can be made :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  2. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

simple, understated, compact, kool:thumbup:

3. dasa2

dasa2 Member

very nice and compact for whats squeezed in
    fount will start to took dusty very quick unfortunately with exposed filters but at least they are less likely to get ignored for long stretches between cleaning

4. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Thanks guys :)

The Dyson goes past that thing every morning, Eva is a clean freak. It will be the cleanest filter ever... I was actually a bit worried that the cloth might be too fine, and create too much restriction, but its not a problem at all. It does however mean that nothing but air will be getting through it, so it will certainly need the daily cleaning it will probably get.

Yep, I am pretty happy with it. Although its still bulkier than I'd like, its size and 360 instant access to everything with the cover off makes it so cool to work on. The only thing in the way is the big fan, which takes no more than 5 seconds to remove or replace with the shock cord mounts.

Even though I still want it smaller, for scale, a Prodigy is 250w x 404d x 359h mm externally. Obviously that would be better without the stupid huge handles.

This is 235w x 380d x 380h mm externally.

The prodigy wont take a 280 rad, with a different res/pump setup this thing will take a 280 Monsta.

I plan on taking 50mm from every side in Mark II, by removing the aluminium frame and just using a 3mm sheet skeleton.

Designs are ready, nobody in Southeast Melbourne wants to cut the sheet designs I need (with some minor welds as well) :(

If anyone anywhere in Melbourne knows someone who will do small aluminium jobs at a reasonable cost please PM me...

I'm also going to remove the big fan and try to stick some kind of 4 port sata backplane where the res/pump is (ie Icybox or Vantec 4x 2.5" single bay) and stick a res/pump above that... with an umbrella over the HDD bay of course :lol:

That will give me external dimensions of 185w x 330d x 330h, (including another wooden cover) which isn't bad for something as well featured and easy to work on.

I have a Photon 170 (non pump version), and a D5. Is it possible to buy the adapter that joins them separately? Maybe I'll just pick up a 100mm X3 for my pump, that should do it.

The 45mm 280 currently installed with push only fans is doing the job more than well enough, and with the shorter case I really don't think I need much extra in the way of airflow. The big fan is just for fun more than anything else. Maybe I'll go push/pull with the rad fans, that should get some extra air moving through the case.

I'm about to run some benchies... I'll try them with and without the big internal fan and see how much of a problem airflow might be.

5. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Nice work Kev. I almost built one very similar based on your first build for htpc duties, but am grabbing a SG13 instead to get going. Might start tinkering with something later in the year.

Not stalking you or anything but I will be using a Z170I Pro gaming and 760 Gainward Phantom with EK block..:Paranoid: Next card will be either a 970 to suit the block or RX480 with block.

Before the 950 pro did you try and of the normal m.2 drives like a 850 evo and did it work? I see a fair number of posts on the net anout them not working eventhough it is on the supported drives list. For now I am just grabbing a sata ssd with a 950 sometime in the future.

6. headin2001

headin2001 Member

I like it Kev you old dog. Well done

7. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've constructed a little drive cage with a simple L shaped piece of plastic. It's velcro'd to the PSU, the back side has bits of foam along the edge of each drive to keep them spaced apart, and a bit of clear packaging tape is holding them all together firmly. A dead drive needs replacing where the empty spot is.

I was never really happy with the bay res at the bottom, and the general clutter. I found that the whole thing was too bloody noisy.. the wood acts like a speaker box and magnifies everything. I was getting a loud hum from it, didn't like it at all.

It turns out my D5 is shitting itself. Its still pumping fine, but vibrating like mad. Taking the pump out showed the impeller to be very wobbly.

I replaced the whole bayres/D5 with this Alphacool Eheim 600 Station II combo. Its a submerged pump inside the res. Its cheap, but its an Eheim so I am expecting no problems, and best of all, it fits exactly where and how I want it to. The old res was an absolute pain to bleed by the way, this one took no more than 10 seconds to be air free.

The pictured backplate in the link is not actually part of this setup (much to the PLE guys surprise when I opened the box) but there is a pump controller card capable of handling a pair of pumps in parallel, or a single pump as I am, or if you want to use a second pump for redundancy, it will use one only but switch the other on if the first one fails. I don't much see the point in modern systems, the machine will throttle down or shut off if a pump fails anyway.

[​IMG]

I also found that the big fan worked very well, but its just silly. And in the way.
    I removed the fan, hoping the front fans would do enough, but no. They are strong enough to blow air through the rad, but not enough to then push the now warm air out of the case. At least, not at the low speeds I want them to run.

I've cut a larger hole at the back of the machine, enough to fit a pair of 80mm exhaust fans. Unfortunately I don't have room for larger fans, but a couple of modern PWM Fractals should do the trick without making too much racket. I just want airflow, not a hurricane :thumbup: . I ordered and paid for the fans this morning, then realised it was Sunday and can't pick them up till tomorrow :lol: but you can see the PWM splitter that will be controlling them.

[​IMG]

The back of the board looks pretty tidy too. I have to keep it all well contained of course, as it needs to slide into the outer sleeve unimpeded.
    You can see the pump controller velcro'd to the side of the PSU. It looks like it needs an Aquaero or something to make full use of it.

[​IMG]

The whole thing is now completely silent in the box. I simply cannot hear the computer at my feet, even when working it hard. The new fans tomorrow should make no difference, I only plan running them at low speed to vent the case.

8. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Not on this board mate, it's only had normal sata 850 Evo, spinning rust, or the 950. Haven't tried any other M.2 drives on it at all.

9. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Custom made computer using square aluminium tube and sheet metal. The computer has been designed to be completely independent of its wooden sleeve, as shown in the video.

This is just a prototype. Many improvements to be made yet :)

Watercooling:

Alphacool Eheim 600 Station II 12V pump and res combo
    EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block
    EK FC-970 Full cover GPU Block and Backplate
    XSPC EX280 Radiator
    Various EK fittings, 12-19 mm compression with 7/16"-5/8" XSPC UV clear tubing for that extra tight fit :D
    Bitspower angles
    EK Pastel Lime Green coolant
    Demineralised water

The Rig as shown in video:

(normally has twice as much ram, 2x16=32GB GSkill 3200 but) In this video is pictured with 2x8=16GB Hyper-X 2666.
    Asus Z170i Pro Gaming ITX motherboard, mounted reversed.
    Intel 6600K Skylake I5 (happily runs @ 4.6GHz 24/7 OC and will push to 4.9GHz)
    Gainward Phantom GTX 970 (stock clocks, mini HDMI out to 42" 1080P TV)
    Samsung 950 Pro 256GB NVME M.2
    2X HGST 7200rpm 1TB 2.5" HDD
    1x Samsung 5400rpm 2TB M9T 2.5" HDD

2x Noctua Redux 1800 RPM PWM 140mm fans (on rad)
    2x Noctua Redux 1800 RPM PWM 80mm fans (rear)

The front panel is just speaker mesh. It is very fine, makes a great filter but needs regular cleaning. The daily vacuum cleaning that seems to magically happen at my place makes it pretty much self cleaning ;)

I've had a custom badge made.. "RATZZ Custom Computers" which doesn't show clearly in the video but I think is a nice touch :)

Here's a better pic of it...

[​IMG]

There is little or no airflow behind the motherboard, but ample open space. 25 mm clearance from the outer case and almost the entire back of the board in area. The 950 Pro does not appear to get hot.

The rear fans are only attached to the wooden back plate, so only on one side, and have rubber grommets between them and the wood they are screwed to. A PWM splitter runs them both from the PWM CPU ALT header. The pump header is only 3 pin, signal only, so I chose to run that off the chassis header instead. The Rad fans also run off a PWM splitter from the CPU fan header.

The pump is a strange beast. The controller card looks like it has promise, with various jumpers which appear to make no difference and a less than clear instruction blurb. I suspect it would work well with an Aquaero or something like that. At the moment its just running at max, and happy and quiet while doing so. I'll figure it out :)

The pump is simply sitting on the supplied velcro sound mat, very pleased with performance, price and silence. Its an Eheim so I don't expect reliability problems either.

Future improvements could include an upgrade to a new 1070 mini, or even a 1080. There is ample room in the case for whatever GPU I choose.
    Also of course an i7 would be nice, but its not at the top of my priorities.
    I'd like to fill all 4 HDD slots with 2TB M9T drives to match the one I already have first.

The plastic frame the drives sit in is just an L shape. The drives are separated by foam wedges on the other side and simple taped down. Crude, but it works well. The whole cradle is velcroed to the top of the PSU.

I am only using a single Molex X4 cable, 2 6pin PCIE cables, and the two mobo cables in this build. Since everything but the drives runs on molex, I simply used a molex to sata adapter to plug in the 4x Sata connector you can see.

I also plan to reduce the size of the box by building it out of solid, welded and laser cut, 3mm aluminium and dispensing with the current frame. I'll make the next sleeve out of solid 6mm quality timber too, stained and polished, instead of the current 9mm marine ply/speaker box felt prototype.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  10. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

End of the line - Prototype 1.

So I think I have this one finished now, apart from a minor cleanup of some glue on my power button wires :lol: Might have to get a rag and wipe up various spillage stains etc too....

Next effort will be an entirely new case, based on what I've learnt from this one, and a shitload smaller.

[​IMG]

Pictured here, on the right rear of the case, you can see the back of the 7 Pin Din plug I've wired up to the mobo inputs(I'm only using 6 pins). Cables from there and a backup power button are routed along the top of the GPU and join the GPU cables before heading for the mobo, where of course they terminate as standard mobo header plugs.

[​IMG]

You can see some excess glue where I pushed the power button through a preglued hole. I'll clean that off sometime... maybe...

I had a bit of a disaster with a short in a Silverstone 4 way Sata power splitter and blew up 4 drives at once. That sucked. I'm only going to use two 2TB drives to replace them. You can see one of them behind the res, I've used its original external drive case to mount it in, as I will with the next one. Just opened it up, removed the USB adapter, cut the end off it and put it back together. Too easy.

OS is of course on the 950 Pro on the back of the mobo.

[​IMG]

DIN socket and power button, complete with sawdust and rusty screws :lol:

[​IMG]

Back together, with the remote plug installed. Using this, I can operate the power switch from the desk, as well as see power and hdd activity lights. If I remove the remote plug (or even if I don't) the red button is an extra power button, in case I want to move the computer elsewhere.

[​IMG]

From the front. You see the need for a remote power switch, LED's, burner and USB hub? ;)

[​IMG]

And on the desk.. under the left rat is the remote box.. then a 7 port powered USB hub (all switched).. then under the right rat is the burner.

[​IMG]

11. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

12. headin2001

headin2001 Member

Another Golden CPU for you mate. How do you keep doin' it?

Delid or still a virgin?

13. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Cherry has not been popped at this point in time :lol: but I can't guarantee it will remain so. I am after all a dirty old man ;)

Yeah I seem to get lucky a lot huh.. this is my first foray into cranking up an i5, I'm pretty pleased.

14. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

First shot fired... I now have this thing booting and running 24/7 @ 5GHz. CPU overclock is set in the BIOS, not XTU. Mind you, its running at 1.5V :eek: but to no apparent ill effect. In benches the CPU will hit the low 80's occasionally, but not in general use or things like video decoding.

It appears totally stable, and from what I can understand Skylake doesn't mind a few extra volts so I'll leave it at 5GHz for awhile and see if any problems develop. I'll try and inch the volts down a little, but it won't boot x50 at 1.47V...

I also finally got around to fitting the good memory.. G-Skill Trident 2x 16GB DDR4 15-15-15-35 3200. I haven't tried playing with this yet, just have them running XMP settings.

I'm still having a weird issue whereby regardless of what I set the BCLK, it will effectively be 100. Saving changes seems to work, it shows the correct target frequency to suit the modified BCLK, but doesn't seem to actually apply it in reality. ie.. 150 BCLK x 32 = 4800, but benches will run at 3200.. or 103 BCLK X 49 = 5047 but benches will run at 4900..

I don't usually bother with BCLK but I've heard Skylake responds well to changes, so I thought I'd try :confused:

No matter, I'm still pretty happy with this as a first real benchie.

Firestrike 10994
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14332733

Graphics 13180 ( GTX 970 @ 1467/1824 )
    Physics 11029 ( i5-6600K @ 5.0 GHz )
    Combined 4891

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  15. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

16. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

17. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

This is great!

I've been working on a case for a while using Connect-It tubing. I was hesitant because everyone else I've seen do it has ended up with a a clunky looking behemoth. But yours looks great, and the outer enclosure looks super tidy. :thumbup:

18. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Thanks :thumbup: The biggest issue I've had with it is the skin. It makes the whole thing bulkier than I'd like.

I have some other ideas.. well a ready to go cad design really.. which just needs a pro to build it. This of course takes away a lot of the DYI kudos but at least it will be exactly what I want.

I'll look forward to seeing your version :)

19. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I got bored with this case, and still having trouble getting someone who is interested in fabricating what I want. This one is OK, lots of good ideas there IMO, but bottom line is it looks a bit too homemade and with the cover on its far bulkier than I ever wanted it to be.

I haven't given up, I'm just looking for someone who will fabricate aluminium on small one off jobs without dicking me around.

In the meantime... the whole rig has moved into a new off the shelf case :thumbdn:

I chose a Fractal Design Nano S. Basically, didn't want to spend a crapload of money, so I bought the case to suit the existing rig. Not many cases this small will fit a 280 rad with no downsides.. and guys, there are no downsides to this case. None. Nada. Its well made, a great design, and only $130. You can even add a second rad if you want.. a 240 fits no problem on the roof, and is offset to clear mobo and ram.

If you want a custom loop and full size PSU, this is the best ITX case on the market IMO.

I don't like cube cases much, and I like the ability to work in a case easily. This thing is small, but not tiny, and ticks every box for me. I'm actually very happy with it :)

Thinking oh no but my GPU wouldn't fit? Stick a 240 rad on the roof for CPU and use any GPU you like on air instead. Or simply move the fans to the outside and most GPU's will fit lengthwise, you simply need to change the loop a bit to avoid the tube res from getting in the way like mine would.

Mines a short PCB 970, with a full cover block. I've always liked this GPU because it performs well and is so compact.

I've repainted the Silverstone 600W 80+ Bronze PSU, moved the sticker to the opposite face so you can't see it. Also painted the blue fan white, even though it sits behind a filter on the underside of the case :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've replaced all the fittings and tube. My old fittings, especially the rotary bends, were looking pretty scarred. I tool tighten, and I get careless..

Now using Primochill clear 13/16 with XSPC Black Chrome rotary 90° bends and compressions. Shiny, I like them.. and the cheapest matching set of suitable fittings I could get my hands on ;)

Just need to fix a slightly kinked hose from pump to GPU (still plenty of flow there, just looks a bit dick).

I've also had some trouble with cooling recently with my rig.. the CPU block I was using was in a computer I accidentally set on fire once, and I'm thinking the erratic behaviour of the block is something loose or floating within the block.

I had another Supremacy lying around, so just for kicks I painted the top surface white. Its a HF, I think the other one was an Evo, but the same mounts makes changing it a cinch.

When originally mounting the radiator, I mounted the fans outside and the rad inside. Unfortunately, although I would deem airflow as having been sufficient, it meant there was no room to install the factory filter in the front cover as designed. Now, both fans and rad are within the case, so the front filter works fine and there is masses of airflow in the front cover. A bottom filter covers the entire base, including the PSU of course.

Temps have dropped 10° at idle, and close to 40° in anger before I did all this.

Pleased, Am I. :thumbup:

I attribute the lower temps to the replaced CPU block, I can barely blow air through the old one from either direction. There were melted bits on the Acetal outside, maybe some melted inside too? Dunno, its in the bin now.

The case is very quiet, well insulated. Cools well and I can no longer hear the DDC (or anything else.. the fans make a dull distant roar while clocking but otherwise it's pretty much totally silent).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cooling aint bad :thumbup: That's a pretty solid workload for an i5, with GPU as well on a single 35mm 280 rad and DDC pump with 2 fans, all running at 50% ..

Some people may find a few of the numbers on the screeny below interesting, from my 6600K and C15-3200 Tridents.

One interesting point. XTU doesn't appear to change anything at all, apart from multipliers.

I am booting at the settings you see in XTU, with the exception of the volts. Everything was adjusted in the BIOS, not in Windows.

XTU has merely had the settings adjusted to match, by me, to prevent photographic wierdness. The giveaway is where you can see I have attempted to boost the volts in XTU.. the voltage change has not applied as you can see in CPUz and Coretemp. In Bios, the volts are set at 1.35V. CPUz is showing the volts at a constant 1.36, Coretemp is showing the volts fluctuating between 1.35V and 1.4V.

I've only really bothered opening it to use the stress test.

[​IMG]

I might do a proper review of this case.. its totally worth one. I have all the progress pix of course.

In the meantime... still looking for an aluminium fabricator.. :(

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  20. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

the red looks sweet;) ,
    pm me your case ideas, not promising anything but