[PROJECT] My Little Drony - Small(ish) 3d printed/composite drone

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by PrawnBoy, Sep 6, 2017.

1. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

SO!

I've been playing with a few things lately. Formula SAE, Race cars, Drones..

So I bought a cheap drone, put a gopro on it and it was pretty sweet but horrible to fly. It was a Syma X8C - so cheapest of the crappiest crap but it had some umph (enough for a gopro) and it was a bit of fun. I did some flying around and what not.

Syma X8C with GoPro hero 2

But this wasn't good enough.

*INSERT SOME CAD MAGIC*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now got some of those bits printed up. Sorry for potato camera, the lens on my iPhone is cracked lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    *This one my mate took and sent it to me*

[​IMG]
    Revised legs (Printed today)

[​IMG]
    Mk1 Prototype (A few weeks ago)

Base has been updated among other things. I went to a smaller diameter extruded carbon fibre rod for the arms which seems to have worked nicely.

This drone is intended to be used an AP drone.
    DJI Naza 2
    FlySky something 6 channel receiver (I know, its cheapo)
    Using a fairly large LiPo battery but also have the batteries from the old drone. Will have a go with both and see what works best.
    Hobbypower/SimonK 30a ESC (X4) - again cheap. Had decent reviews for price.

Any of the cheaper shit will be upgraded once im happy with design and to fit the drone once its done. :thumbup:

2. Defyant

Defyant Member

That's a sweet looking diy rig. Def a big step up from the Syma X8C. Did the shorter arms make it more responsive?

I gotta say tho that diy credit card mount really works! i know the syma's arnt exactly smooth flyers.

Can i ask how the Syma X8C handled wind? for a light flyer.

Was going to grab a cheapie to chase some birds away.

3. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

I still have mine, I'm probably going to put it up for sale sometime soon. Cheap because it's currently sitting in pieces (pulled it apart, was going to reshell the new drone into it at first)

I've got a few meters of extruded carbon rod spare so i'll play around with lengths.

I still need to reassemble it with some new parts and if they are good i'll water jet them out of some 3 or 4 ply carbon.

The arm diameter change was purely based on availability, we had some thinner stuff in the lab.. the wall thickness is the same though.

The great thing is though, I can easily change to a shorter leg if need be. I could even (In theory) think of it as modular and swap between giant daddy long legs f$% off legs for big floaty stable video recording and short fun zippy legs!

I'm also planning an enclosed version as MK3 to keep it super tidy and what not.

4. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Going to grab base Mk2 tonight. Hopefully its rigid enough to use.

The first one used 4 ply carbon. This one is just 3mm thick PLA (could only do PLA on this certain sized printer)

With a bit of luck I'll have the main chassis at least semi assembled this weekend..

5. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Got the last pieces back from my mate with the larger 3d printer.

GOing to assemble this week hopefully!

6. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

I've reverted back to the DJI style chassis for the moment. I was having assembly issues and what not...

Pics incoming...

7. Athiril

Athiril Member

Nice, whats your current draw for it?

8. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Not sure yet.. I've gotta get a few things together before I fire it up again (mainly batterys back off my mate)

9. Athiril

Athiril Member

I was designing (theoretical) builds trying for a lower current draw, as there are new 1S 3000mah batteries (30A) and 3500mah batteries (10A) that are 47g

10. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

this is cool! well done on the build :) how does it fly?

11. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Still haven't taken off yet!!!

I left my old 2500mah batteries at Uni and my mate grabbed them for me, haven't caught up with him to grab them yet. I was going to use these for testing etc.

Just ordered 2x 3p battery holders for 18650 Lithium Ion batteries. Same kind of battery they use in tesla which is cool.

Running them in 3p2s will give me 14v @ 6800mah and be fairly light.

12. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

EDIT: Actually it seems they have improved significantly in recent years. These Samsung 35E 18650s, for example, can supply 10amps, a smidgen under 3C. Even so, with a 3S2P pack, the maximum rating is still only 20 amp. I think your multirotor could manage to come in under that at a hover but it would be close, and it would depend on the payload. Also, your pack will have a nominal voltage of 11.1v - or 12.6v fully charged.

[​IMG]

-------

Have you checked what your maximum current draw will be from those batteries? I think from memory they have a very low C rating... like 1C or 2C depending on which ones you get... meaning your max current will be either 6.8 or 13.6 amps respectively... 13.6 amps would be barely enough for a hover and 6.8 wouldn't get you off the ground at all. I know 18650s are popular among long-range RC fixed-wing pilots due to their awesome capacity to weight ratio but even on a fixed wing the throttle has to be very closely managed not to exceed the C rating.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  13. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Hmm, you're right. I think i'll have to just use LiPo's for now.

I scored them for free from SAE at Uni. I'm sure i'll find something to do with them... haha.

14. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

they're brilliant batteries otherwise. perfect for ground stations, or your transmitter, or FPV goggles if you have some :)

15. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

I have 10 of them, and 2x 3 battery holders. Enough for 3p2s - maybe i'll use it to charge my phone haha.

16. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Hey just a thought, your designs lends really well to being machined from carbon fibre. Not sure if that was your intention or not but I saw you 3D printing what looked like one of the centre plates. This guys does all my carbon cutting which I used to build my heavy-lift hexacopter, and it's strong af. http://bezerk.com.au

17. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Hey!

I actually have some carbon panels i'm going to waterjet cut in shape. The 3d printed version was mostly to mock up before I wasted the techies time doing some cutting for me haha.

Thanks though! I'll have to check out this Hexacopter though.. Linkkkk?

18. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Nice :) I didn't think it was possible to waterjet carbon fibre... something about the water pressure delaminating the layers. Could be wrong though let me know how you go!

This is my hexa: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/heavy-lift-hexacopter-scratch-build.1208041/

19. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Oooh. We've had a fair bit water cut in the past - im fairly sure. I know we cant laser cut it (at least in our laser cutters). I'll look into it! Worst comes to worst I can cut what I need out of prepreg and then put it in the oven.

Ok that drone is sick. I know who to PM when I have trouble with everything. Though, I think i'll need to find a DJI naza expert to help me iron out any kinks!

20. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Putting a call out: Need a DJI Naza pro to help me out.

Basically- I was planning on pulling 5.5v from one of the ESC outputs to power the receiver, however its saying MC OUTPUT OFF in the software.

How or what do I do to fix this?