[PROJECT] My Little Drony - Small(ish) 3d printed/composite drone

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by PrawnBoy, Sep 6, 2017.

1. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

MC OUTPUT OFF means it is not sending a signal to the ESC as a safety precaution. This is normal and not related to how you power the Naza. If you can't get it to switch to ON, it'll be because either it isn't calibrated for the receiver input, isn't getting any input from the receiver, or the sensor calibrations are off. If you're powering the RX from the ESC, don't forget you'll need to connect ground AND signal wires to the naza...

You should be fine to power the receiver from an ESC, but the normal way is to power it from the Naza. Assuming you have the V-SEN power unit, you'll have access to the built in 3A 5V regulator, which is more than plenty for the Naza, Receiver, and a GPS.

2. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Ah yes.

Well, I can't bind the receiver/power it on at the moment - looks to not be getting power from the ESC port.

What wires on the V-sen unit have the 5v? Im more than happy to tee into something there to get it. I will check with a multimeter, but if you know off the top of your head I could just be checking a single wire! I'll go with your method - sounds much more reliable :)

3. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

The naza itself should supply power through to the receiver. You'd connect the ground and power wires to one of your channel inputs on the naza

Receiver would look like this, note the red and black wires on CH1:

[​IMG]

corresponding wiring on the Naza:

[​IMG]

ignore the actual wiring in that photo, that is for a different type of receiver

PS. do you have a use for some FlySky receivers? I have a metric buttload here that aren't being used. If you want them let me know, and I won't bin them

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Yeah I actually do! I'm running a flysky 6 channel receiver at the moment with a 6 channel controller (I know, not enough!) I did at one point fry one, so spares would always help. Haha.

I'll have a look when I get home. Thanks for the help/pics though!

5. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Got the receiver to bind!

Naza assistant is seeing the inputs from the controller, however my ESCs arent arming or spinning motors.
    ESCs will throttle up the motors when plugged directly into the receiver.

Any more ideas?

6. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Is it showing MC OUTPUT ON? ESCs plugged in the right way up (gnd wire at the top, signal at the bottom)?

[​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

You're actually a champ.

I'll have a suss when I get home tonight. I think I HAD them in the wrong way and ended up reversing them. Both ways seemed to bleep bleep, but I had to go put my motorbike back together and go to the gym.

Will plug it in and have a look when I get home from work.

8. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Still haven't had a look at this. I'm looking to have a go with it on the weekend. Hopefully I can get the MC output to turn on and for the motors to arm.

Just to recap:
    Naza doesn't seem to arm - saying MC OUTPUT OFF in the software
    Naza software will see radio controller input in the software

I believe the wiring is correct. Will look over it.

9. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

If someone can assist me in fixing this, there is beer in it.

Just by the by.

I am stuck.

10. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I'm in Box Hill and like beer :D:D What are you stuck on?

11. OP
    OP
    PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Basically -

Naza:
    - Won't recognise GPS module
    -MC Output is set to OFF and I can't get it to output anything at all to the motors

Do I need to program the ESC's?

They're SimonK ESC's with 2700KV Outrunner motors. Just generic Ebay shit. Running a 3s battery (for now, just some crap for testing)

If at some point you were free to have a look over it with me i'd make sure I bring beers with me. And Pizza!

I have a DJI Spark I fly a bit as well, but i'd like to get this running too!