My Mame Machine Worklog (lots of pics!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Sil80, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Sil80

Sil80 Member

I finally got off my arse and built myself a Mame cabinet... been wanting to for years, and even bought the controllers and buttons a few years ago, but never got any further, until now!

After messing around trying to design a cocktail cabinet (with trusty Google Sketch) that would fit in the 21" CRT monitor, I then decided it would be too much of a pain, so I went back to the drawing board, and decided on a smallish upright cabinet along the lines of this one.

Seems the LCD would be a much easier and more convenient option for size / fitting, less heat, and less space required.

I decided to try and minimise the weight and cost. I decided MDF for the cheaper price, but decided I needed to build the frame out of pine to reduce the weight and avoid the requirements to make side and rear panels out of 16mm stuff.

Once that was done, a few trips to Bunnings got me the materials and I was off!

After trying to cut the panels with a circular saw, I realised that the jigsaw was more accurate (albeit slower) and switched tools.

After talking with a mate who is also buiding a cabinet, I decided on XP/GameEx for the front end. The winning points was that it was more of a multi function interface rather than just a game player. I can use the machine as a jukebox etc if I want to.

PCDB Entry Here

Here is the results! :leet:

Pine frame built:
    [​IMG]

16mm MDF panels fitted to the front:
    [​IMG]

Holes cut out for speakers:
    [​IMG]

Test fitting of the screen... whoo hoo! Its finally taking shape:
    [​IMG]

How I fitted the screen (They are roofing straps):
    [​IMG]

First coat of primer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Filling all the holes etc:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I put wheels on the back and height adjusters on the front. Will make it easier to position:
    [​IMG]

Second coat of primer:
    [​IMG]

Painted! I used car enamel (with hardener) paint left over from a previous project:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How I fitted the screen. I routed a recess around the edges so the screen wouldnt move out of place. I then put some foam around the recess to cushion the screen a little:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PC mostly fitted. I put the whole thing on a board of 9mm mdf so I could take it out as one piece if I needed to:
    [​IMG]

Test run successful!!!
    [​IMG]

Mapping the keyboard controller to the game controllers and buttons.... that was a slow process!
    [​IMG]

My dog feeling rather neglected. Bribe (in the form of a chewy treat) installed (mostly) successfully:
    [​IMG]

Nearly finished! Testing the controls:
    [​IMG]

My (IMHO) cool signeage for the game. Just to give it a bit of an authentic look. I photochopped a bunch of pics together to make the title, printed it on a colour laser. Then stuck it to a piece of acrylic. The whole thing is lit with two cold cathode lights (one kit) from Jaycar:
    [​IMG]
    (bonus points for guessing the game on the screen)

The finished product!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

BAM...Now THATS! what i call an opening post!! Awsome work mate while not my thing i totally appreciate the work thats gone into the cabinet TOP CLASS congrats on a job well done I'm sure you and the lads will have many beer filled hours of fun with it ;-)

3. Iceickle

Iceickle Member

That. Is. AWESOME!

jealous!

4. The Sculpturer

The Sculpturer (Banned or Deleted)

Nicely done :thumbup:

5. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

*Sigh* i want one of those

such a good job dude...:D well bloody done :thumbup::thumbup:

6. Formage

Formage (Banned or Deleted)

absolutely love it * looks at a old system and some wood planks in my room....* meh not happening :p :D

7. OP
    OP
    Sil80

Sil80 Member

Thanks guys :) It was a lot of fun doing it... now for the playing! :D

8. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Great stuff, wish i had the skill to do some thing like that.
    WELL DONE :thumbup:

9. fergusb

fergusb Member

That is so awesome!!!!! I would kill for one these...

10. s9131514

s9131514 Member

been thinking of doing one of these for a little while. How did you go about mapping the controls?

11. ZXR

ZXR Member

Great job mate.

I'm just about to start one of these, but I'm actually looking at building a Pong machine. I'll put an old Pong console into it with spinners and all. Should be cool. :)

After that I'm hoping to do a Gauntlet machine. :thumbup:

-ZXR

12. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Sil80 would your dog happen to be a Toy Foxy?

13. OP
    OP
    Sil80

Sil80 Member

I used the keyboard hack process

I ripped apart a keyboard. You will see (probably) one circuit board with a big chip on it. There will hopefully be a nice neat row of "teeth" looking connectors. Basically, I soldiered a ribbon cable to them, and then put the other end of the cable in connector blocks. I then labelled each one a number / letter. Then spent friggin ages with a wire trying every combo of those connectors, with a program like keyscan, and writing down each combo that works. The link above explains it a little better, but instead of a huge box to map to I just used the connector blocks I mentioned before.

oh - one word of advice.... screw down the connector blocks and circuit board to a small piece of wood once you have them wired together. Itll save you some hassles with the wires coming back out while it moves around

She is a 75% jack russel and 25% chihuahua.... 95% cheeky (5% sulky as per the photo :)

Hehe thanks! A glutton for punishment eh? Second would be a lot easier to build now I have it down. I did love the big old 4 person Gauntlet machines :thumbup:

:)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  14. [/\V3NG3R]

[/\V3NG3R] Member

Is it MAME????

15. Dr_Rock

Dr_Rock Member

Good job!

I like it.
    Well done.

For anyone contemplating it, it is always a great use of that old PC after an upgrade, just build a MAME cbinet.

I think an IPAC is a better (and easier) option for keyboard encoder though.

Awesome stuff, I would love to see more MAME cabs/jukeboxes on OCAU.

Doc

16. napes

napes Member

Hey - that's a very nice looking cab!!! Awesome :D

I just finished my little side-by-side cocktail cabinet the weekend before last too... must be summer coming on that's motivating everyone... pics below :) It's got an old iMac inside - took it apart again last weekend to do a final clean-up pass on it and also to do a build write-up...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Formage

Formage (Banned or Deleted)

additional 22" ontop of that mac screen, drop the mac abit to fit it all in = sexxxxx :) :D

18. CaillinS13

CaillinS13 Member

That's it dude, I'm so coming round your place this weekend.

I'd bring drinks, but somehow I don't think you'll need em :)

Top effort! :thumbup:

Been wanting to do one of these for ages, but just hard to get the motivation.

PS: Nice work, front page!

19. Mongy

Mongy Member

If my memory serves me correctly, the game on screen is Rygar

20. OP
    OP
    Sil80

Sil80 Member

Well done - Rygar it is :) Probably my favourite game of the era!

Cool machine Napes, very nicely made :)

Hehe :) I remember how much you liked the punch I made - could make more, but somehow I dont think you would drink it after last time eh?