My name is Minmi and I got wrecked at La Perouse!

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by PeterB666, Oct 10, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Member

The SS Minmi was a relatively young collier (just 10 years old) returning from Melbourne to Newcastle, she found in heavy seas and dense fog off Botany Bay. Now the captain who brought the ship out to Australia and sailed her on every trip for those 10 years had decided to have a holiday and had handed her over to the Chief Officer as the acting Captain for that trip. Something he never repeated.

The ship struck the outside of Cape Banks, on the outer northern headland of Botany Bay near La Perouse. The ship split into two and the stern of the ship wound up on the inside of Cape Banks (i.e. just inside the bay).

That was the 8th May, 1937 and this is what is left now ...

[​IMG]
    Cape Banks Shipwreck - SS Minmi 02 by peterb666, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Cape Banks Shipwreck - SS Minmi 03 by peterb666, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Cape Banks Shipwreck - SS Minmi 09 by peterb666, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Cape Banks Shipwreck - SS Minmi 07 by peterb666, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Cape Banks Shipwreck - SS Minmi 06 by peterb666, on Flickr

Photos taken with an Olympus E-P1 and M.Zuiko 9-18mm and 14-42mm lenses.

2. xishnik

xishnik Member

they are nice shots, but are on the border between artistic and a snapshot. I'd say composition is bringing them down a little. there is just no clear and eye catching subject.

Just my 2c.

3. Zakari

Zakari Member

Pick a better time of day mate... the hour before the sun rises and hour before the sun sets would be ideal for this kind of photography.

4. tarrith

tarrith Member

Looking at the shadows I'm thinking it was rather late in the day.

5. OP
    OP
    PeterB666

PeterB666 Member

Thanks for the feedback but both lots of comments about the shooting time are wrong.

The first shot was a 6:25 am and the last shot was a 7:39 am. Sunrise was officially just before 6:25 and first light about 30 minutes earlier. It was semi-overcast with the direct sunlight blocked about 60% of the time. Note the first shot is #1 and the shot taken last in the sequence is #2 above. The site is not suitable for proper sunsise shots (i.e. first light) as there is a cliff of about 6 to 8 metres that blocks the rising sun and casts long shadows. The site is west facing. Note the length of the shadows on the fishermen walking to the site and the wreck in the top right corner is totally shaded. The rest are in between.
    So basically all but the last shot were within 1 hour of sunrise.

Sunsets are difficult to do other than non-daylight savings as the access to the site is cut at 7:30 pm by NPWS gates and I will be heading back there after the end of daylight saving (mid winter gives the most time).

One hour before sunrise and your only option would be light painting. Likewise one hour after sunrise, also light painting and being locked in overnight or pay $50 to have a NPWS ranger come and unlock the gate.

BTW, my favourite of these shots is the last posted which was taken using a 56 year old Schneider 40mm f/1.9 lens. It is relatively low on contrast and sharpness and due to the lens adapter being used to mount on the Olympus MFT camera, cannot focus properly to infinity. It has therefore been stopped down to around f/11 which is a step too far in Micro Four Thirds but necessary to get the shot sufficiently sharp in focus. It is one of the few times the sun was shining and the only shot the interior detail of the wreck was really visable.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  6. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

4th one does it for me. I really like the merge between metal and rock, in colour and texture. For some reason the next one is less appealing despite being closer to the details.. seems less balanced.

7. Zee

Zee Member

I quite like 4 too, actually...

Z...

8. gameboy1971

gameboy1971 Member

she was also used for gunnery practice in ww2 from memory

9. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

Number 4 for me too, love the rocks and the way the rust has stained them.

10. Demonic2005

Demonic2005 Member

Can you show me a google map of where this is? I'm goign to be at La Perouse in the next weekend or 2