My new < $600 Laptop C710TU

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by GumbyNoTalent, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

I always thought the Celerons didn't have SpeedStep. That alone was a deal-breaker.

2. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

It only has a WiFi button, and it works, oh and a touchpad off/on button as well and it works.

I have tried the external VGA on a 26" LCD TV, 1366×768 and was unable to get the sources to work independently, e.g. run laptop 1280x800 and TV @ 1366x768. Also S Video had the same problem, and Mplayer wouldn't work with the 2 screens. I need to investigate the Intel Driver some more, one feature I don't like in the BIOS is there is no way to actually set the Video Memory being used as its dynamic and I'm not sure if this works that well with Linux yet.

Haven't tried the microphone yet, been busy celebrating xmas and new year... ;) but will be trying Skype soon.

So far I have used it mainly for Web/Mail and coding and it works great, battery lasts well, on the flight to Cairns I was able to watch a movie for the entire 90mins with only 40% battery usage which would indicate a 3hr+ battery life. :thumbup:

I do have one issue I'm working on, headphones doesn't disable the speakers, only noticed on the flight, luckily the noise of the engines drowned out the noise. :)

I loaded XP up again today just to check the difference with the video drivers, and I must say the Linux version is way behind the Windows version for dual screen, but I was still unable to run the secondary screen @ 1366x768.

Still, for $533 much better value for money than my mates EeePC if you ask me.

3. GTX

GTX Member

where?

I just had a look here www.retravision.com.au using post code 2067

they don't show C710TU for $499

where did you seee this? [insert post code here]

4. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Go to Compaq and look up CASHBACK offers, the C710TU currently has a $150 cashback offer. Retrovision or one of the major chains HAD a sale where after cashback the cost would have been $499, so sale price was $649.

5. Witch

Witch Member

This intrigues me. Is it a mistake or not? If no, it makes the Celerons more attractive for me.

Can anyone shed some more light on it?

6. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

No Celeron's do not but Core Solo's do, my mistake, all the new laptops with Txxxx processors do.

7. Crinos

Crinos Member

That's an issue with the ALSA driver for the Intel HDA chip. Various solutions on here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gutsy_Intel_HD_Audio_Controller

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

9. Crinos

Crinos Member

Wow, Acer with Linux pre-loaded. This viral OS really is taking over. :weirdo:

I'll probably be looking at a sub-$600 laptop for my wife in the next few weeks, so any advice on which ones suck would be great... can't say Acer is in my good books.