My New Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by dracoMJB, Feb 1, 2005.

1. dracoMJB

dracoMJB Member

Mac Mini In The Middle of Clutter
    Closeup of Mac Mini

The Main monitor is a 20.1" Dell, the one to the left is a 17". I'm still getting used to Mac OS X but other than that, it's one very very tiny computer.

I thought I had a grasp of the size seeing the pictures of it compared to CD cases, but until you actually see how small it is, you do not realise how small it really is.

2. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

Have you cracked it open to upgrade the ram yet? Or did you pay the exorbitant price for Apple's DDR333?

3. slick

slick Member

looks very sexy - how much did it set you back $ ??

4. uberbanzai

uberbanzai Member

That's awsome.

That'd be a nice fileserver with some firewire 200G drives :)

Ryan

5. OP
    OP
    dracoMJB

dracoMJB Member

I paid Apple Store pricing for:

1.42Ghz, 512Mb, Superdrive. No wireless or bluetooth. About $1200.

I was planning to replace my current PC that I was using for gaming with a new PCI Express 925 chipset system, then use my current PC for email, web browsing. My PCs often get clogged with crap that I install, uninstall to play around with. I wanted a PC that I could just use for email, browsing, work without having to backup and reinstall everytime I wanted to play around with something. So this was the alternative. I've wanted to play with Mac OSX for a while now, but could never justify the $3000 entry price for a decent system.

So far I'm loving it.

6. ksama

ksama Member

$1200 is quite a hefty price to pay for a PC that does web surfing and email only, don't you think???

The answer is yes for me anyway. :p

7. OP
    OP
    dracoMJB

dracoMJB Member

I was going to spend around that on new components for my existing PC and then move the existing components into a spare case, so for a gadget freak like me being able to spend the same amount on a tiny Apple, that gives me a chance to play with a new OS and use it for email, web browsing and work (invoicing, documentation and other work related items) it's not a huge investment. Any "new" PC is going to cost similar if you include hardware and operating system.

8. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

But the point is that you could have opened the case up and saved hundreds of dollars by using your own DDR333 instead of paying the premium from Apple.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  9. MobMentality

MobMentality Member

Stock model, which would be perfectly adequate for emails, www etc, is only just over $700 with student discount. Now that's what I call affordable.
    Damn, I sound like a frickin ad.
    I just know that if i had a few hundred dollars spare I'd definately be buying one. Or one of the recently updated powerbooks... but then there goes my 'cheap' argument..

10. OP
    OP
    dracoMJB

dracoMJB Member

I looked at the prices of 512Mb DDR and 1Gb DDR in the Green Guide (not the cheapest, but a good indication) and the 1Gb that Apple were selling for $650 (now $520) was twice the price and the 512Mb ($120) was about what I'd pay if I went and bought a DDR333, so I went with the hassle free option of pre-installed.

11. OP
    OP
    dracoMJB

dracoMJB Member

Sure, but I did some reading around and all the Mac experts seemed to think that Mac OS X was much happier with 512Mb, plus I wanted the larger HDD (music, photos, home videos) and DVD Burner (backup capacity, home videos). Spec out the base model (1.25Ghz) with 512Mb, 80Gb and Superdrive and it's $1154. The 1.42Ghz with the 512Mb, superdrive and standard 80Gb and it's $1224. $70 for upgrading the HDD and processor isn't much.

Obviously if I was "only" going to be web browsing and emailing then yes, the base model at $799 would be much better, but I'm a gadget freak. The Windows PC is going to be relegated to a games machine.

12. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

The Mac Mini is not that expensive when you factor in the cost of another Windows license for your second machine.

13. <atomic_trojan>

<atomic_trojan> Member

I'll be getting a mac mini in a few weeks but without any extra upgrades,
    i dont need the extra storage because i have a USB drive, and the RAM i will be upgrading myself as i can buy 512mb DDR333 for around $120 but also sell the 256mb that comes stock to get abit of money back :) I cant wait, this is going to be sweet!!!

14. Varuna

Varuna Member

Amfibius, It is if you use MSDN:AA copies on all of your machines. ;)

Not that I havent bought one though... It'll tie me over till dell makes an equivalent mini-itx based pentium-m with an MXM slot.

15. Hi-tek

Hi-tek Member

Its so sexy....

But can it actually play any games? Have you tried any out yet?

16. EazyduzIt

EazyduzIt Member

I like the look of the macmini and if I weren't such a pauper I would be sorely tempted to buy one...or the ibook?? bah! I congratulate you on your purchase and hope you get much enjoyment out of it. :)

I read this Cringley article on the Macmini a few days ago: link

I found it interesting to read where Cringely thinks all this is headed and what it means. A tool for enabling Apple and partners to provide content that is only accessible via proprietry means?

17. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

whats the highest supported res on them?

18. zeuce

zeuce Member

2304 x 1728, 60Hz :leet:

I got one too no options just the 1.42 processor. They could turn me of pc's the mac OSX is leet, with a freeBSD engine that are so customizable, i am impressed.

And you cant get a pc with the same software for the same money, they really are good value....

Just my 2 cents worth now i just have to save up for the 23" screen 8) i wish ahhahaha

19. Defsac

Defsac Member

Blizzard games work pretty well. You'd be able to run Warcraft 3 and maybe World of Warcraft on the mini.

20. zeuce

zeuce Member

I tried Call of duty and United Offensive on the minimac and they played really well at 1280*1024 i am impressed. I didn't get it for a game machine but good enought for a lan ;)