1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

My New Toy. Any Pointers?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Bombster, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Bombster

Bombster Member

2. Freaek

Freaek Member

3. OP
    OP
    Bombster

Bombster Member

*chueckles* Thanks Freaek

If memory serves me correctly though it wont couple up to my camera. Seriously i am thinking of getting a bigger flash and maybe a Circular polariser. Any other suggestions or should i not bother with these.

Cheers

4. Admiral

Admiral Member

I would definately suggest an external flash, especially if you plan on adding a long lens to the camera which will partially block the popup flash and create horrible shadows.

If you want to do long exposures, a nice sturdy Tripod is a must.

Then, once you've got a flash and a tripod, apply for as many credit cards as you can to finance the lens buying addiction you will develop. =0)

5. GarethB

GarethB Member

How much photography have you done in the past, and what sort? Photos of friends/family, around the house/parties, landscapes, sports, artistic, etc? Do you take a camera with you when you go places?

Having a truckload of lenses is all well and good, a lens for every purpose and a purpose for every lens, but stop and think about what you use the camera for. Assuming you don't have a detailed background in photography, I'd reccomend you get one general purpose zoom lens (Admiral and a few others may argue against this, but there are valid reasons for doing this) and stick with just that one lens for a while. Zoom lenses have their limitations, but for the vast majority of people, one 28-200mm lens of reasonable quality is all they really need. That's the sort of lens I'd reccomend you use for a while. Short enough for reasonable wide angles and long enough for reasonable sports/long distance/closeup shots.

One lens means less gear to carry around, especially if you're travelling. Less mucking around switching lenses. Less chance of stuff getting dropped/damaged/stolen. If you don't have a strong background in photography, spend time with the same setup and concentrate on using the equipment you have, rather than wasting time deciding which equipment you should use. Once you've developed your sense of framing and lighting and know how to use the camera body, then start thinking about other lenses.

As for cheap accessories, try some colour filters, or some effects filters (eg: crosscut filters, which give the star-point effect to lights for night photos). Give black and white film a go as well. You can get B&W photos processed at most places that handle colour film processing, although it's a bit more expensive than colour.

http://www.photographyreview.com/

6. Admiral

Admiral Member

No, I agree with your comments.

One good all purpose zoom like you mentioned is a great starting point, and not having to lug a lot of heavy (and sometimes fragile!) equipment around is a huge benefit.