My overclocked Mac mini Morphos 3.5 rig.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by flu!d, May 19, 2014.

1. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Not too sure how many of you have heard of MorphOS, but being the retro forums I thought the operating system and my experiences with it deserved a mention.

Basically MorphOS is an Amiga compatible operating system designed to be run on Power PC hardware, including various G4 models as well as the G5 - bearing in mind that no Amiga compatible operating system has the capability to run dual processors.

The core of the operating system is based on the Quark microkernal (propriety) as well as a number of other open source libraries such as the Ambient desktop.

This is my second MorphOS rig, the first one was based around an Apple Mac G4 running dual 500mhz processors and 1GB of ram with a Radeon 8500 (?!) graphics card. The Mac was a good starter system but over times it's sluggishness really began to wear on me, even though MorphOS is a very lean operating system the good 'ol Mac G4 was struggling, especially in 3D apps, and one PPC 500mhz processor was no more than a space heater.

So along came my second attempt at a MorphOS rig....

My second attempt is based around a Mac Mini G4 that I picked up off Gumtree for $70.00. This particular model started life as a 1.25ghz unit with a Radeon 9200 GPU with 32MB of vram, I overclocked it to 1.5ghz and installed version 3.5 of MorphOS as well as the Chrysalis expansion pack, which adds a number of much needed apps to the operating system as well as making a few changes and offering slightly more functionality.

I've gotta say, it took me a while to warm up to an Amiga based operating system, I guess you could say that I'd become lazy after years of running Windows and Linux desktops and the Amiga way of things took a little getting used to, but the OS is growing me and I'm really enjoying running all the old demo's as well as many games that I haven't played for about 25 (?!) years when I was really into the good 'ol Amiga 500.

Many old 64k applications run just fine within the OS itself with no additional emulation needed, however many games or demos that hammered the Amiga's specialized chipset directly still rely on E-UAE in order to run - However, based around the hardware used such apps run beautifully. I'm still having trouble getting the launcher to recognize my 1.2 and 1.3 ROM's though...

I've also been enjoying a little old school Quake III gaming as well!

So without any delay I present you my Mac Mini MorphOS rig:

PPC processor, 1.25ghz overclocked to 1.5ghz, Radeon 9200 32MB, 1GB ram, 40GB HDD, Benq FP222W monitor @ 1680 x 1050.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  2. adz

adz Member

Take your blue butterfly and cram it up your... :p Just kidding :thumbup:

I've been wanting to have a crack at this myself, however from what I've read, the Power Mac I have sitting here isn't compatible, good to see some alternative operating systems making an appearance in this forum, nice job :leet:

3. OP
    OP
    flu!d

I have to admit, going back to such an operating system really has been quite a learning curve as everything I knew about AmigaOS disappeared in my teenage Pub and binge drinking years!

But I'm slowly working it all out and I'm really enjoying it.

Still got an A500 sitting in the shed somewhere....

4. narkotix

narkotix Member

does it run the amiga binaries native without uae?

5. OP
    OP
    flu!d

It it 68k compatible provided the software doesn't make direct calls to the specialized chipset.

So applications such as wordprocessing packages and paint packages, etc will run native, but more advanced applications such as games will not.

I have got a few demo's from the day that run native though - Although with more advanced applications it's hit and miss.

Apparently MorphOS is more compatible with 68k software than AmigaOS 4.0/4.1, which I find terribly interesting.

6. narkotix

narkotix Member

thats awesome! hopefully over time they start to embed the more hardware specific calls

its interesting that this feature isn't available on x86 so there must be specific ppc to 68x routines being called

http://www.coyoteflux.nl/ppc680x0.htm

the above link probably gives us some clues.

7. adz

adz Member

AROS is the closest you will get on x86 hardware...

8. lupin

lupin Member

Now this just makes my hunt for a Mac mini even more important. Have the exact same idea in my head. Now just need to get it out and onto the desk.

9. OP
    OP
    flu!d

There was a 1.5ghz/9200 64MB Mac Mini on Ebay for a little over $100.00, I missed out on the bloody thing!

Didn't realize how rare they are.

Mind you, my 1.25ghz Mini @ 1.5 with a 9200 32MB is a pretty quick little machine!

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  10. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Looks like an interesting project. :thumbup:

If you want something cheap to run MorphOS and have the desk space, an eMac will do the trick - they are basically worthless.

It's a shame MorphOS doesn't run on the later Powermac G5 with PCIe.

11. OP
    OP
    flu!d

A little Commodore 64 emulation using Vice under MorphOS, while I loved the Amiga I've gotta say the C64 was probably my favorite PC ever, I've still got one of the first ones in the shed and it still powers on and works fine, needs a new case though as it's defiantly seen better days!

Also got an Action Replay Mk 3 and a Final Cartridge 2 as well as the CBM mouse.

I've found the Action Replay .crt images and I'm currently running an Action Replay Mk 6.0 on my emulated C64.

Loving this!

MorphOS will run on a G5, not too sure if it will run on a PCIe model though. To be perfectly honest, I'm not too sure you'd benefit much from the additional bandwidth.

12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I should have quantified my comment - I have an unused PCIe G5 which is sadly not compatible with MorphOS. ;)

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  13. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

@flu!d Are running a SSD inside the Mac?

Hehe, I like how you have the printer that never dies with the OS that just wont go away! :D

14. OP
    OP
    flu!d

No SSD yet FuzzyKaos, and it still boots as fast as my Linux Mint rig with an SSD (and that boots bloody fast)! An SSD for the MorphOS rig is on the cards though.

As for the Laserjet 2100 and the matching JetDirect 300x, old hardware never dies!! That laserprinter is a beast of a thing.:thumbup:

15. OP
    OP
    flu!d

Some MorphOS and AmigaOS3.1 desktop shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can switch between both desktops by tapping both mouse buttons simultaneously, very handy for when I want to download a new game to run under WHDLoad.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  16. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

Y'all got me nostalgic now.

I spent the better part of an hour digging around on OLD CD's looking for my last pictures of my decommissioned Amiga.

1997 Bitchez!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So swellegant!

17. OP
    OP
    flu!d

FuzzyKaos, I love it!

What machine was that? Specs?

A Similar MorphOS desktop, need to find WinAmp (don't like my chances!).

[​IMG]

Another Shot:

[​IMG]

18. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

Twas an Amiga 4000 with an '040 chip with a bla bla cant remember!

I blame me for that!

Check out this guy on YouTube, KookyTech.

He is still rocking original gear in a modern environment, pretty cool.

I keep my eye out for cheap Amiga 1200's mainly cos if it has the right amount of ram, all you need to do is pop in a 32GB CF card and you can pretty much load the entire catalogue of EVERY single Amiga program/game ever written.

Actually, I think it would probably fit on an 8gb card.

19. OP
    OP
    flu!d

I'm subscribed to Kookytech, been watching his shenanigans for some time now, his awesome!:thumbup:

His also a huge MorphOS fan, prefers MorphOS over AmigaOS4.1.

20. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

Hehe, did you ever have a SyQuest EZ 135 Drive

I had about 8 of the cartridges from memory, so bloody useful, especially since you could boot off it, make a business drive, or a games drive.

They cost about $80 each from memory.

Geez, I remember the first 8 or 80mb (cant remember the size exactly) hard drive, it was $800.