My Overclocking story

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Coolio, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Coolio

Coolio Member

The quest of the Over Clocked Watch. Tutorial on how to overclock you system for Overwatch.

It had been years since I last felt the need to overclock but <80fps is just not acceptable.
    Life doesn't always turn out how you want it and along the way passions can fade and change, what was once a source of achievement, satisfaction and pure pleasure has now become a forgotten memory belonging to a different person.

The time has come.

Passions never die, although they fade and change they remain extant. The feeling has returned. I need more frames. I cant let these noobs own me. I'm starting to remember... Who is this person? I'm starting to remember.

The Piece:
    Old School Lian Li Tower : A case I’ve owned and loved for many years.
    When we first met Lian Li was sitting out the front of my noob neighbours house, abandoned, covered in glistening morning dew, shining like a tower from heaven. I knew it would be mine, what I didn't know is that it would fill a hole in my life which I was unaware existed; a need which can only be filled by a rectangular prism of warm brushed aluminium, forged in heart of the sun for the sole purpose of protecting my extended self from exposure for the rest of your own life and into the unknown future. This case will last longer than I.
    Pics: (LINK)

i5 3570k 3.4Ghz, 3.8Ghz Turbo.
    My 5th Intel processor. i5 + 5th Intel processor = i10. Hyundai i10 is a car. Car has 3 letters. There are 3 sides to a triangle, overclockable confirmed.
    I couldn't be sure that my processor would be a decent overclocker but the calculations seems to suggest, along with the fact that it was made in Costa Rica (which is known to have at one time an alien masonic culture (see: Giant Stone Balls Costa Rica)), that I should be able to get a decent overclock.
    My aim: 4.5 fucking GHz teirbo stable.

Asrock z77 extreme 4.
    Asrock is awesome. I'd never bought an Asrock product in the past but seeing as they are sponsoring this post and the fact that Asrock - AS Rock, rocks are made into stones, the ancient stone masons knew how to make keystones, I felt this board had what I needed to be the keystone of my overclock. The fact I already owned this board and owned no other motherboards compatible with my i5 and had no intentions of buying another motherboard also played a massive part in my choice to use the Asrock z77 extreme 4.

G-Skill Ripjaw 7-7-7-7-24 1600-4GBx2 DDR3.
    I have no idea why you would brand a ram "ripjaw". A 10 second google search of "etymology ripjaw" has not proved enlightening nor helpful in discovering the meaning of "ripjaw". Perhaps my can-opener brain cannot crack this conspiracy. Perhaps I have to rip at it, with my jaw? Regardless, I had no intentions to ever overclock this ram. That was until the passion of the overclock lifted my spirit to a place where any jaw could be ripped if you just wanted it hard enough.
    My aim: Maximum stable overclock

MSI 3Gb R9 280X OC Gaming Edition, dual forzr.
    This graphics card was acquired cheap from the liquidated estate of the corporation which made my brothers dirty 1% richers. My evil brothers worked several of these cards like slaves, without rest, to mine a promising new currency known as Doge Coin. An empire was built on the backs of these slaves and for what? Akin to Hegel's myth; my self-realised brothers and my unrealised self now merely see past each other (since I own 0 doge coin and they are in the top 1% of doge coin owners world wide). In a Schindleresque moment I managed to spend all my money to save but one of these cards. I knew it would have a better life in the more noble pursuit in creating joy and happiness for the people as opposed to furthering the divide between rich and poor.
    My aim: Respect the dignity of the gfx card, remove the divide between the gfx card and it's labour . Maximum stable overclock

Fractal Design, semi-modular 750W Bronze 80% rating.
    Being that our universe is a fractal; the same patterns repeating endlessly at different dimensions of scale it was an obvious choice to choose a power supply designed in the same way. Further, this powersupply was also made in Scandinavia, a place I visited while studying philosophy in Amsterdam. During my studies in Amsterdam I wrote an award winning essay on the philosophical significance of fractals in film and as such I am well versed in the magical power of fractals.
    My aim: Use fractaly powered powersupply to overclock and supply power to a computer in order to assist a universe investigation machine.

Noctua NH-d14 CPU Cooler.
    Its the night before one of the most important days of my life. Tomorrow is election day. But I have a massive problem, 80fps. Noobs, noobs everywhere, noobs everywhere owning me... Me! A Pro! I can't allow this to be, I won't allow this to be. My research begins. 20 different tabs with more knowledge about overclocking than one could learn in a life time. I scour the pages as if I were a fiend looking for one last hit, that little bit of perception which will show me the way. I've found it, the best air cooler ever manifest, precipitated from billions of years of universal evolution. Shit, its too expensive... 99 bucks and I'm fucking broke. I mean, I could afford it, I physically have the money but only in stead of other essentials for being well. Besides, the Evo Hyper 212x is like half the price, and it directly references its origins in its name; “Evo”. This could quite possibly be a better option. 20 more tabs, and hours (minutes) of 21st century overclocked google-based research later and I'm satisfied. “I'll get the Evo tomorrow morning” I think to myself as I fall asleep.
    It's the election tomorrow, and it is my duty to vote. Quite possibly one of the most if not the most important thing I'll do in my life; adding my tiny voice to the roar that is politics. But MSY closes at 2 tomorrow, and I haven't been getting up much earlier than that for the last couple of weeks, because as my brothers girl friend said to me I am a “ bit of a night owl, hey?”. The truth is I have achieved a state where I'm just a day ahead of everyone else. I actually get up so early as to push me into the last afternoon or early evening of the previous day, then go to bed in the early morning of the next day. Regardless of this fact, society is still a noob, not ready for the new pro way of living and as such my quest had begun with a mission to imitate to the circadian rhythms of the noobs, acquire my cooler from the shop before it closes and then if I have time, vote in the election of noobs, then overclock my piece.

The Quest Begins.
    I wake up at 1pm, the store closes at 2pm. I get up, have a shower while brushing my teeth to increase efficiency. I've stopped using shampoo recently, not because I chose too but because I've run out. To my surprise I actually like the way my hair looks and feels after a couple of days without shampooing. Maybe shampooing is a conspiracy, a product we are conditioned to need but don't actually need. “I'll have to investigate this”? I think to myself as I'm exiting the shower. I get dressed, make and eat some cereal, take my anti-depressants and multivitamins then roll up a nice joint full of more medicine. I'm running out of time so I take a shit and smoke the joint in parallel drastically increasing efficiency, an experience I recommend quite highly.
    It’s 1:40pm, I have 20 minutes to get to MSY to buy my cooler. I jump in my awesome 1990 Nissan Reebok Pulsar and get to the computer store with under 10 minutes to spare. As I pull up to the store I see a noob and his noob kids walking towards the store, so I do a dope front in park and jump out manoeuvring my massive body in front of the noobs and into the store. When the moment of purchase came I couldn't deny my heart what it wanted, I shelled out the extra money for the NH-D14. I like to treat people as people so I asked the clerk how his day had been, he replied it had been slow due to the election. It was at this moment of absurd explanation my priorities of 1. acquire sweet CPU cooler for overclock 2. vote in the election that the I-Thee relationship of a provider and consumer became an I-Thou relationship of person and person. He laughed and as I exited the store I wondered if he would remember me. I had been there many times in the past without any sign of recognition but maybe next time would be different now that the relation had briefly changed.
    I get back into my car and drive to the local primary school where I will vote. While driving I look forward to telling the liberals that I'm a fascist and the fascists that I'm a liberal. As I walk towards the hall of the old primary school I used to go to I'm disappointed that I wasn't approached by anyone, no one cares who I vote for I guess. I notice how small the hall seemed compared to when I was a student there and commented about that phenomenon to one of the election employees. He seems a little dim, defiantly a noob but I see a twinkle in his eyes when he thinks of that phenomenon and remembers his own time in primary school. That’s the second relation that had changed that day.
    I vote for some ****s and drive home to get down to the actually important stuff, stuff that I can actually change, stuff that will actually make a difference in the world: Overclocking.

Overclocking

The last machine I overclocked was an AMD Opteron 142 over 10 years ago. I remember achieving a 33%+ overclock on air pushing the processor to over 2ghz. I overclocked some “Teem-Xtreem” RAM to some seriously dope timings of like 2-2-2-2-10 or something ridiculous like that and also had my old Albatross128MB Nvidia Geforce ti4200p clocked to the clock speeds of the far more expensive ti4600p. However, the person who had done this had changed and forgotten. But the fire remained, re-sparked the injustice of having less frames rendered per second than my 27inch 120hz monitor could display per second.

I unplug my PC and remove the components then remove all of the dust carefully with a paint brush and vacuum cleaner. I remove the stock CPU heatsink and laugh at its puny mass. I wipe off the crappy thermal compound and unbox my sweet new cooler. In one of the boxes I find a metal icon of an owl with one side covered with adhesive. I imagine its the universe telling me I had made the right choice, and that there would be a successful overclock this season.

I'm excited to get my cooler on and begin the overclock, I feel as if the overclocking gods are behind me and will make sure no matter what everything will be OK once I've overclocked.

Final Clocks:

RAM: decided not to overclock for stability as performance gains were negligible.
    CPU: 4.4ghz stable
    Video Card: The temperature kept jumping up to above 90 degrees, then the frames would drop. I took off the fan and replaced the thermal paste, this fixed the heating problem.
    Core: 1120, memory 1650.

This story was going to be longer but it is not. 10/10 would overclock and write half a story about it again :)

2. benjagan91

benjagan91 Member

That was the best forum read I've had in quite a while. Thank you, Sir. :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    Coolio

Coolio Member

Glad some of you enjoyed it, maybe ill write a little more in the future :)

4. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

Yea great story. I was able to empathize. Back in the day I sanded a Q6600 flat so I could get some more juice out of it. Pointless really, Q6600 is still serviceable now, 9 years later.

5. rickoles

rickoles Member

Hahahahaha

Best post I've ever read on here full stop. Please do write more :)

6. Morbis

Morbis Member

This was my highlight. I loved these cars.

Fantastic half story, I hope you do more stories on here!

7. benjagan91

benjagan91 Member

The people have spoken, Coolio. We demand more! :D