My P180 so far.....NOT VERY 56K FRIENDLY

Discussion in 'Modding' started by spikes, Oct 3, 2006.

1. spikes

spikes Member

If you haven't known, I'm flipping the motherboard tray on my Antec P180 upside down to get rid of some of those cable routing problems in the P180.
    This is my work so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ice_cool

ice_cool Member

Cool. Keep me posted mate this looks interesting.!

3. OP
    OP
    spikes

spikes Member

I'm waiting for my dad to come back from his holidays before I can finish the rest, he's got a weld at his place and I need it to weld down the backplate that I hacksawed off. I have to make a completly new mobo tray coz I screwed my old one.

4. DavoRulz

DavoRulz (Banned or Deleted)

You don't have some sort of heatpipe mobo do you? They don't like to be mounted upside down.

5. OP
    OP
    spikes

spikes Member

Is this true???? Oh fuck if it is, this mod is useless

6. OP
    OP
    spikes

spikes Member

ok, ok, there's this:
    http://forum.abit-usa.com/archive/index.php/t-88609.html

From what I've read, heatpipe technology can work fine upside-down if the heatpipe in use contains a wick (i.e. it is designed to work in other directions). Does anyone know if this cooler contains a wick?

How can you tell if it contains wick??

7. OP
    OP
    spikes

spikes Member

oh god damm, I continued reading and found this:

Hello gang,

I just phoned Abit tech suppt and asked if the heatpipe on the AN8 Ultra will work if the board is inverted in a Lian-li case.

Response: "No."

He suggested using more fans, or a different case. He said the existing heatpipe could not be removed, but there's two screws so i'm gonna try to replace it with a Thermalright Northbridge cooler.

Hth,

Mike

Might have to go watercooling then

8. genesis[OFT]

genesis[OFT] (Banned or Deleted)

That's not all bad though... :D

9. TMM

TMM Member

I'll bet that heatpipe comes right off. Abit are probably just saving their asses so noobs don't go trying to take it off, resulting in damaged chipsets :p A Zalman passive heatsink should work just fine

10. OP
    OP
    spikes

spikes Member

They're easy to remove, just a little push pin that pops out very easily. Maybe ABit is saving their ass from noobs, who knows??

11. Opti

Opti Member

Mate!! Just do it. Take the heat pipe off, takes some more pics of what you have replaced it with and keep this going. Don't let this hiccup stop you. :thumbup: :thumbup:

12. Ambush

Ambush Member

I've had a P180 for about a year, now. The longer I have it, the more I believe it would make sense for the board to be inverted.

13. OP
    OP
    spikes

spikes Member

There's few things that get in my way of this mod. Firstly, I screwed the mobo. tray because I thought the standoffs would be on the other side of the tray. So I ripped them off with pliers and was going to weld it back on again but I don't think they'll be properly alined.

Secondly, there will be some welding which I thought drilling holes and riveting would do, so I need to wait about week until my dad comes back and helps me with the welding, I have no idea how to do it :(

And now, heatpipes don't work upside down!!!!! :mad: I'll have to watercool the chipset and it'll just add more heat to my watercooling loop. I've seen hundreds of PCs with heatpipes that have their heatpipes upside down and don't seem to have any issues.

BTW I'm converting a G5 case into a PC case (haven't started) but if the G5 looks better, I use that instead of the P180.

14. Ephphatha

Ephphatha Member

Just try it if you really don't want to watercool the chipset. If you get issues, then you will need to add it to the loop.

15. OP
    OP
    spikes

spikes Member

Some little updates:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just fixing up the fans to give a little more room for my PSU, its longer than a standard PSU. I'm going to leave the HDD cage as it is, so if I wanted to install HDDs, I'd have to take off the other side panel, but I don't fiddle around with my PC once its done.

16. Mad 4 Air

Mad 4 Air Member

It is perfectly logical that heatpipes wouldn't work well upside down. They will still work as they will conduct heat but not as well as they otherwise would.

17. OP
    OP
    spikes

spikes Member

Yeah I know that now, I'll watercool it, will the water from the CPU heat up the chipset if I watercool it, if anyone has a watercooling rig with the chipset and CPU, what are the temps like on the chipset??

18. Opti

Opti Member

Don't bother watercooling the chipset, just put a decent aftermarket cooler on it. Otherwise you will be wasting your money.

19. OP
    OP
    spikes

spikes Member

It looks alot better than a heatsink, which is what I'm after. I chipset waterblock surely doesn't cost that much does it.

20. Mad 4 Air

Mad 4 Air Member

Cost is relative. Pccg have swiftech chipset block for $50.