My pc and ultimate cable...

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by sim36, Aug 11, 2012.

1. sim36

sim36 Member

I've got this htpc attached by Blue cable to the cable modem. I've got ultimate cable and best I get on speed test is 50 Mbps. Usually it's around 30Mbps. Not bad but I should get 100 +Mbps, Ultimate.

When I plug the laptop into the cable modem using the same cable I usually plug into the htpc and I then speed test for a result of 118 Mbps!

What might be holding back the speed to the Htpc.?

2. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

3. JuicEmatic

JuicEmatic Member

Shouldn't be 70 mbit of overheads

4. OP
    OP
    sim36

sim36 Member

5. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

No, a GbE NIC is not the choke, the choke is the end-user who doesn't understand the internet and contention ratios as well line losses.

You get a plan the does UP TO a claimed speed, does not mean you will get it. Same with DSL and any other form of domestic internet.
    If you want real speed at the assigned speed 24/7 then come see me and I will give you an idea what a carrier-grade 1:1 contention service along with being symmetrical. I will make a safe call on the side of, you couldn't afford it.

What the cheeseburger analogy failed to make clear is, traffic congestion, toll-ways and limited routes to be taken.

6. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Assuming the OP isn't a moron, and has tried this numerous times consistently getting the same results. Then no, you are most likely wrong to blame speedtest/congestion/etc.

I can consistently get 115mbit+ on speedtest with ultimate cable. Telstra's cable network is awesome. However I do realise this can vary by area and stuff.

Plug both computers into modem via cat6. Run consecutive speedtests a few times (obviously don't do both computers at the same time, do one after another say 5 times in a row). If they are varying by 50+mbit just between the two computers, I reckon you can confidently say it's NOT a network issue and IS something with the computer getting the slow speed. Try plugging them into same port on the modem too to ensure that isn't an issue.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  7. ics

ics Member

A few points:
    * the netgear cable router that telstra provide is crap. If you haven't already, spend $100 and buy a decent router and set the cable router to bridge mode

* Are you sure nothing else is running on the HTPC? BitTorrent? Windows updates? other?

Trav

8. Exige

Exige (Banned or Deleted)

Do you even bother reading the OP in threads you post to Benji ?

The guy is getting MUCH higher speedtest readings when connected to a different PC. Whether or not he is testing at the same time of day and averaging the results over several tests is unknown right now.

His connection is capable of the speeds, and at first blush it does appear to be some issue with his PC.

With your NIC, are you sure that you are using auto-negotiate in the Windows properties ?

9. OP
    OP
    sim36

sim36 Member

Yes, I using auto negotiate. I will try a new nic. Recommend one? New router is unnecessary due to cheeseburger. I run bit torrent and update is manual, mostly after cheeseburger. When testing no bit torrent is running. In op is said this is a pc issue and not line speed
    I know how and why the connection might suffering varying speed and this problem of mine has been narrowed down to my htpc connection. Again, I will try a new nic and let you know the outcome.
    Btw, testing is to Telstra server in Melbourne over Telstra cable, and a far cry from adsl. I can test over and again for same result. I consistent if nothing else.

Please forgive grammar as typing on phone. (inebriated)

Cheeseburger.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

At one point I only ever got up to about 83, and I know of plenty of others who would get less. Then all of a sudden it jumped to 118.

11. OP
    OP
    sim36

sim36 Member

New nic fitted and disabled on board nic and there's no change in performance. I'll now test with Linux booted from cd and speedtest then.

12. OP
    OP
    sim36

sim36 Member

Update. I tried ubuntu 11.10 booting from cd. I speedtest and get above 90 mbps.

No hardware changes.

I might now run some diagnosis software, and anyone make a recommendation as to what I should use? Windows based.

This is something I expect will fix when I install windows 8.

Btw, very old install of xp... Refresh soon

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  13. Brianf1971

Brianf1971 Member

GRAB http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php and run this

Brian

14. OP
    OP
    sim36

sim36 Member

Thanks Brian, I did as you suggested and got 41mbps at best. Seems I need to redo the os!