My PC just keeps cutting out

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by CountParadox, Oct 26, 2019.

1. CountParadox

CountParadox Member

It just goes off while I'm using it, completely crashes, doesn't matter if it's under a heavy load or no load it just dies anywhere from 4 minutes to 20 minutes after booting up.

Otherwise it runs fine.

Research online points me to power supply overheating, it's fan doesn't even spin up(it stays off until it needs) but on the chance maybe it's broken I've tried facing an external fan over the PSU and no dice.

Anybody have any ideas ?

2. luke o

luke o Member

Temps? Got something like core temp or your mobo utility? Should tell you what temp all your sensor's are running at e.g CPU temp.

Definitely sounds thermal cut out related, easiest option just swap out the psu.

What system specs exactly? Is it all new build or an old build that's suddenly started doing this?

3. OP
    OP
    CountParadox

CountParadox Member

I monitored temps with coretemp and everything looked fine that I could see, I even ran a heavylode for 2 hours and it was fine, it kept running fine until I turned it off. Then next time same issue, seems kind of intermittent

I built it 6 months ago or so, it's got an it 8600 with 16g DDR4 2133, Corsair 850w, all purchased new

Can't recall exact everything

I'll see if I can find a PSU to test with

4. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

tried a BIOS update?

It's hardly definitive but in my experience power issues like this are related to motherboard faults. Have had a few that won't turn on, or turn off a few seconds after being turned on, etc. there's rarely a fix or identifiable cause other than just replacing the board

5. straiton

straiton Member

tried removing/reseating all power related connectors?

CountParadox likes this.
  6. Zee

Zee Member

Blow the dust out of any heat sinks and fan blades?

Z...

CountParadox likes this.
  7. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

i have seen more and more of these corsair psus needing rma or replacement
    try a new psu and report results

JSmithDTV and CountParadox like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    CountParadox

CountParadox Member

I have not but it's something I'll try
    Have just tried this and no good. Also tried removing GPU, all but 1 stick of ram and drives

It wasn't that bad but I gave it a clean out and still happening

I can't find my old psu so I need to borrow a power supply from someone... Oh boy

9. Zee

Zee Member

How long is it normally before a cut out? Which exact model?

Z...

10. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Agree... and should be done soon before what is happening potentially damages other components.

JSmith

11. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

You can easily rule out a heat problem by logging all temps to disk and then checking after a crash. More likely to be a bad component, probably PSU or RAM.

12. spit051261

spit051261 Member

Do you have any other sticks of RAM you can try ?
    What sort of speeds are you running your RAM in Bios and are you using an XMP profile .
    Just to rule the Ram out because bad or incorrectly set up RAM can cause all sorts of issues.

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Which model Corsair PSU is it? Some are great, some not so much. Lower than RM, often not a great PSU. RM, meh, good enough. HX/i and AX/i, :thumbup:
    That said, any PSU can develop faults early, regardless of quality.

Another common cause of random crashes can be a bad RAM overclock. Are you running the RAM at default, XMP, or a custom OC? I've found that RAM OC'd on the bleeding edge in particular can pass memtest no problem, then crash for no apparent reason.
    I generally OC my ram at c14-3600, its rock solid, but if I push it up to c14-3666 it will appear to be stable, get through multiple passes of memtest no problem, then fall on its arse opening a flash file. (Ryzen, hence the lowish frequencies).

Have you tried setting optimised defaults in the BIOS and running it for a few days to see if it shits again?

14. spit051261

spit051261 Member

I had a similar thing and it was the RAM but that was just me mixing up the sticks .
    I actually changed the power supply first thinking it was dodgy voltages (which it wasn't) but ended up with a Corsair HX1200 and what a sweet power supply it is .
    Modular as well which is even better :)

15. OP
    OP
    CountParadox

CountParadox Member

Any time from not even making it into the OS, to half an hour into an online game....
    Yes
    I'm thinking it's not heat, it doesn't make sense with how quick it happens sometimes.
    Ram would be running at stock speeds.

My friend is coming over on Saturday so I can try out components from her PC to rule things out.
    I'll try the bios defaults but I don't think I've touched anything other than turning on vt-x....

It's a Corsair hx850 platinum so it's unlikely but I'll still try another one.
    I'll try new ram this weekend from my friends pc, my biggest fear here is I can't find where I put the receipts for things that'll teach me to buy things in store rather than online

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

The shops I go to put what I buy on my account, it's really handy if you need to find out when you bought something (and/or who from) and I don't need to search high and low for the receipt if there's an issue.

CountParadox likes this.
  17. Mace

Mace Member

If you've tested like this at minimum components, swapping out RAM, and it still crashes, then its the PSU or the Mobo.
    You only built it 6 months ago so both components are under warranty.
    Once you test it this weekend with your mates PSU, you'll know. ;)

CountParadox likes this.
  18. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

if you havent already.
    completely dis-assemble.
    check / inspect everything. pins, sockets, etc.

good point about the ram. run it stock. run motherboard settings stock (clear cmos). no oc on anything & update bios if you havent already.

no point guessing about a faulty component until all isolation tests done.
    =========

but my most common fault - in fact the only fault i've EVER had with ANY component, has been motherboards.
    ===

you could run memtest 86 if you really wanted to from a usb stick.
    ===
    also, if you have a Restore Point available in windows to a time period prior to any problems occurring, that might be worth a try too (if it isnt too inconvenient) - to rule out any possible o/s corruption.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Mace likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    CountParadox

CountParadox Member

good idea, but what Ill do is disconnect the SSD / HDD entirely and runn off a Ubuntu USB for a while that can rule out both the drives and OS corruption here.

It doesnt feeeel like an OS issue could cause this but computers have certainly done stranger things

adamsleath likes this.
  20. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

good idea.