My Project : ANTEC NSK6580

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by jeimuzu, Jun 22, 2009.

1. jeimuzu

jeimuzu Member

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share with you my recent project I did last week. All up it took me about 2-3 days due to the bad weather we've been having in Melbourne.

Anyways, I ended up buying a second hand NSK6580 case off a ocau member. I was hoping it be this one instead but unfortunately it wasn't.
    So I decided to try and attempt spraying a computer case after doing a bit of research online and getting tips from people -you know who you are ;)

First up our some photos of the case. As you can see it has a fair bit of sticky bits and scratches.
    Strip and clean time! I ended taking those LEDS after taking this shot, it slipped my mind at the time.
    Make sure you give it a good wipe down with a cloth and get rid of any dust or markings.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What do we need to start this project?

- $2.00 // Masking Tape (I found this more visible to work with rather than white masking tape)
    - $3.95 // Paint of your choice (I choose Matte Black because it's sleek, simple and easy)
    - $13.95// Etch Primer (I spoke to a paint expert at Bunnings and he advised me this would stick better on Aluminium rather than your basic 'primer')
    - $0.70 // Sand Paper @ 360grit (This is for the plastic bits)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I started with masking the top and bottom of the case. Since it was already black I had no intention repainting it since it was still in good condition.
    Also, I wanted the casing to be protected later down the track when I needed to flip it around on certain angles.

First cover the edges and then the whole thing in layers (make sure you overlap each strip rather than lining as it prevents paint seeping through)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My next concern was the holes at the very bottom of the case. I didn't want excess paint dripping through and then drying up.
    So I shaped out pieces of masking tape and applied a bit of pressure so it'd pop out a bit on the other side.
    After covering up all the holes, I covered the rest of it up (once again, make sure you overlap)

Masking actually took a bit longer than I thought, I took my time with it as I only wanted this to be a once off job.
    Next step was to prime and it's recommended to let the can sit in a warm bucket of water for about 10mins for a smoother flow in the paint particles.
    While waiting, a well deserved break for me = a smoke and trying to find some good buys @ OCAU :D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Since the colour of the primer was grey I thought it be hard to see, but infact it was visible! I did a test on my old computer case as you can see below.
    Be sure to apply very light coats, we don't want the prime watery as it will drip. If you accidently apply to much paint, and it drips just leave it!
    Let it dry completely, sand off that section and touch it up with primer. I waited about 1hr till I decided to give it a second coat of primer.

While waiting for the second coat of primer to dry up, I decided to give the the front panel a clean with some turpentine to rid those dry stickers and markings.
    I wasn't able to clear the scatches below though, but since it was minor scratches I was hoping the primer would bog it up -which you'll see soon.
    I accidently broke a few clips while taking the front face off, but there's nothing superglue can't fix :D

When the primer had finish drying up, I applied my first coat of matte black. Be sure to let the can sit in warm water too for a smoother finish.
    I waited about 30mins and touched up on areas I missed. I put a bit to much paint on the back board but I wasn't to fuss as I knew the motherboard would cover it up lol.
    Last but not least, did my final coat and left it in the sun to dry.

Give the panel a good wash with some warm water and soap to removed the turpentine that would have dried up by now.
    Then give it good dry and then start sanding with the 360 grit paper. Make sure you give it another wash after sanding as you will have particles everywhere.
    (Repeat these steps for any other pieces you want to colour aswell.) I removed the front face off my dvdrom since I wanted everything to be matching.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now we need to prime again, once again it's only the first coat so be very light with the paint.
    Let it dry for about 30-45mins and then do your second coat. I used toothpicks for panels to rest on btw :)

2. OP
    OP
    jeimuzu

jeimuzu Member

Once primed and dried, I applied my first coat of matte black and the second coat about 20mins after.
    I didn't have to wait too long this time as the sun was out and it's only small pieces I was working with.

Just some pictures of everything dried up and ready to be re-assembled.

Don't you just hate cables? Duct tape ftw! Motherboard in and off we go :)

And the final outcome! *drum roll*

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

For any questions feel free to give us a holla. Thanks again for checking this out!

3. Lil Flipp

Lil Flipp Member

nice job mate, so much better than the original.:thumbup:

4. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Funny how much a lick of paint will improve the look of a case. Nice work mate!

5. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

Case looks good :thumbup: However, i dont like the duct tape.. you should check out the Murdermod sleeving group buy.. it would really look nice then.

6. OP
    OP
    jeimuzu

jeimuzu Member

Cheers guys!

Yeah tell me about it, I wasn't planning to mod the computer since I barely use it much hehe

7. promiscuousboy

promiscuousboy Member

very nice man looks a lot better!

8. WalkingCactus

WalkingCactus Member

Quick noob question.
    Aren't you meant to sand the metal down before you put the etch primer?
    Do you also need to sand the primer afterwards lightly or would that just be silly?
    Would the answer be the same if I were to paint my steel Coolermaster 690?

9. OP
    OP
    jeimuzu

jeimuzu Member

Thanks mate!

IMHO, it wouldn't hurt to sand down the metal a bit. I decided not to do it this time as I wanted to trial & error as I'm planning to do the same for my other Antec casing.

As for sanding the primer once applied, if you've done light coats then no.
    But if you happen to accidently make a certain area too patchy/wet, then yes. I noticed when I tried sanding the primer, it would simply fall apart into dust. Then again, I was using 360 sand paper grit throughout. But hey, anything is possible.

As for your case, by looking at photos of the inside I would say yes too. Unless it's a totally different type of Aluminum steel, then probably no.

Hope this helps :)

10. mark_vr_limited

mark_vr_limited Member

Looks good mate. Me and my mates are getting together in the holidays and fixing up an old case with paint similar to yours. Hope it turns out as good as yours.

Did you spray the paint on to the case as it is or did u pull the panels off and paint them seperately? Was it easy painting it when its together?(assuming u did).

11. WalkingCactus

WalkingCactus Member

Thanks mate.
    Also, your Antec now looks like sex.
    You planning on getting a window for it?

12. OP
    OP
    jeimuzu

jeimuzu Member

Thanks Mark :)

The panels I pulled off were the fronts and sides. If you look at the photo below, you can see that the front panel has slightly been removed (as a whole). I took an extra shot here for you, hope it's not to hard to see the separate pieces.

It was actually 3 pieces in one! (1x silver, 2x black). I only worked on the silver piece and left the other two it is. (If the other two had wearing or needed a fixed, most likely I would have sprayed it too. I should have taken a clearer shot at the time but I was having so much fun lol.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

To do a professional job (hypothetically speaking), you'd take the whole thing apart and then use a rivet tool to re-assemble the whole thing together again. Removing all panels should be fine IMO :)

The case actually did come with a window ;

[​IMG]

I'm just thinking of idea's atm but not sure what I could do.
    Personally, I do like having the case open (minus the dust) but if I end up doing the side panels/windows, I'll be sure to post it up the process :)

13. shiatzu_kiora

shiatzu_kiora Member

edit:
    nvm - i didn't notice you took the pictures of the case with the front panel.
    not seeing straight

14. PHAT_pudding

PHAT_pudding Member

nice work dude! i sprayed my kandalf case like 3 years ago now, well worth the time and effort.

for anyone wishing to paint their case, BE PATIENT! it does take a long time, so don't rush it! my mate rush jobbed his case and did it in a day, and looked like shite. it was patchy, heaps of runs, missed sections, incredibly rough.

15. tgluak

tgluak Member

Looks fantastic. My mate has one of these, might show him these for some inspiration

16. BigDave

BigDave Member

Mate, Well done :thumbup:

I've recently aquired an ANTEC 6500 which looks basicly the same, it's previous owner started to paint prep it but gave up. :( ,now i'm thinking of keeping his idea of Transformers Bumble Bee. Not sure to what level of mods i'll do to it, But yours has given me a few ideas. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009