My Sisters Canon 350D

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by glenpinn, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

hi guys, my sister just came over to dump all the photos she took of my wifes 50th birthday party onto my pc so i can sort them out and put them into her folder along with the HD video that i just finished editing.

the camera is a 350D, and this was her very first time using the camera on a scale like this since her son gave it to her a few months ago.

below i have posted 2 resized photos to give you an idea what she shot, and these are 2 of the best photos out of 88.

when she came into my house she claimed that she thought she did a pretty good job given its her first real use of this camera, and when i saw the photos i asked her if she used the flash, and if she used Auto focus or manual focus mode, because all the photos were very dark, and a lot of them were blurry.

she told me her son told her to use the camera in Manual focus mode, so she set the big Dial on the top of the camera to M which she thought was the manual mode setting, and she told me that while she was taking the photos she was actually manually focusing the lens before taking the shot, and she said the flash was working.

i took the camera, and told her the M on the dial on top of the camera was not the manual focus setting, and proceeded to show her the focus switch on the side of the lens, and it was in fact set to AF mode.

the lighting in the resturant was not overly good, but i would have thought her camera, with the flash on, would have given better results than she got.

the ISO setting on her camera was on 200 when i got it, and she told me that she has never touched this because her son told her to leave it on 200.

given these photos appear to be the only photos taken of my wifes 50th (that i know of) i have to say that i am pretty disappointed with her effort, so i am glad that my son was able to film the whole event properly on my Panny HD cam with wonderful quality, so i can at least produce a nice quality bluray of the event for those who wanted one.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

If the camera was in manual mode and no adjustments were made to the exposure settings, then what hope did the camera have of getting the exposure right? Unfortunately your sister needed better guidance on how to use it.

3. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

the focus switch on the side of the lens was on AF not Manual, and she thought the M on the dial at the top of the camera was the Manual focus setting, so she was going around with the camera on AF but was manually focusing each shot.

i told her that she should go find someone who can teach her the basics on using a camera like that before getting serious about using it.

i think the photos speak for themselves.

4. switchblade327

switchblade327 Member

Why on God's green earth does *ANYONE* give a first time user a camera and tell them to shoot Manual - either manual mode OR manual focus. Seriously bung advice.

Had it been set to the automatic mode (green box) - essentially a sophisticated point and shoot camera - the 350d would have performed OK and gotten the results you were expecting - not brilliant but would keep you happy.

But in manual mode, all those sophisticated algorithms that work out optimal shutter, aperture and ISO settings automagically are bypassed and the camera does explicitly what it is told - essentially it would have shot in whatever shutter speed, aperture and ISO it was set to previously.

Way too low for the situation. This is what you typically shoot outside on an overcast day.

I haven't looked at the pix but I can only imagine the results. Sorry to hear it went bad and didnt mean to dump on your sis :)

5. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

firstly, i told her that 200 is not used indoors, she again told me her son told her to leave the camera settings as it was when she got it, and i told her if he was shooting in all conditions with those settings then he too had no idea what he was doing.

as for dumping on my sister, well i dont mind that, because when i saw the photos so dark and blurry, i told her the camera setup was stuffed, and i am not a photographer, but as a videographer i certainly knew her camera settings were not right, and she certainly doesnt have a very steady set of hands either.

btw i just put up 2 of the best photos in my first post as a guide.

6. Xassius

Xassius Member

i dont understand your need to post this thread at all....

7. switchblade327

switchblade327 Member

Wow - ISO200, F7.1 and 1/200s..

I'd like to say I had a crack with 15 seconds in LR but seriously, there so much black and so little detail left...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ps Happy Birthday to the missus :)

8. kryzak260

kryzak260 Member

Pretty good effort there sb given what you started with. I wouldnt think those were recoverable at all from jpg.

I wonder if a bit of an edit from the RAWs would bring some back from the dead. She was at least shooting RAW right? :Paranoid:

9. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

wow she did not bother to check the photos she took ? theres an lcd on the camera for a reason ... is she .... or what?

10. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Heh. So she didn't notice that she was trying to fight the camera's focusing motor. "why won't it stay still?!"

11. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

her son's advice should have been "use full auto" or "green box" and feet zoom at the widest angle.

12. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

for those who want to view 2 of the actual images from her camera, here is the link, and if you wish to do some handy work on them, please be my guest, as i will be taking some of the better photos she took into photoshop myself to try and improve them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7tubhfhivzm1hca

thats what i told her would be happening after i found the focus switch on the lens was set to AF, but she had the black dial button set on M

i am a videographer, so my experience with these camera's is very limited, but i do know enough to realize that after seeing her photos, something major was wrong with the camera, either it was faulty in some way, or her settings were up shit creek, and when i tried to tell her what i thought was wrong, she got offended and cracked the shits with me because she seriously believed her photos were fine for an amateur, but someone had to tell her.

LOL well i took some photos on her camera in my room, and she couldnt even find the preview button to have a look at them, so i will assume she does not check her photos :(

well, firstly, you didnt have to reply if you didnt see the point in me posting the thread in the first place, but just to "clarify" things for you, in my original opening post i had a link to all the photos my sister took in my mediafire account for download if anyone wanted to take a look, AND i did ask if someone could CRITIQUE the photos AND offer some TIPS on how to use this camera as a first time user until she becomes more familiar.

when i removed the link to my photos in Mediafire and replaced it with 2 resized photos she took, i also deleted the request for a critique and some tips/advice on how to set this camera up, so maybe thats why you have posted your question here, you must have come into the thread after i made the edit to my OP.

SO, i will simply ask again if someone could offer a few tips on what settings she should be using on her 350D to get her started, because her son has clearly had the camera setup totally wrong, and has offered her completely rediculous advice, and i would like to pass on to her some advice offered by members who know how these camera's should be set up.

cheers

btw this is the photo properties the photos are JPG from the camera, and i have no idea if there is a setting for "Raw" images.

Click to view full size!

also, is it normal for JPG pics from this 7.1mp camera to be 72dpi (2304x3072) as i have no idea myself, but i ask because i have an old A550 7.1mp p&s camera that is set to Super Fine and the jpegs from that camera are 2304x3072 @ 180dpi.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  13. switchblade327

switchblade327 Member

Ta, but thank LR and the 3 vodkas I had last night :)

Chapter 2 of this. It will solve ALL her (your) problems :)

Then, Page 34/35 - reset the camera to factory - never know what other "magical" settings have been applied.

It's in the menu - refer page 52 of that manual.

RAW is a format that, for all intents and purposes, is the raw uncompressed data from the sensor. JPG is that same data, compressed (so potential loss of detail) with camera specific tweaks applied to make the picture look nicer and more pleasing - perhaps sharpening, colour saturation etc + any on camera "picture modes" such as "B&W" or "Enhanced". Easy to print but harder to do post processing on.

For your sister, recommend leaving it JPG - for the moment, it's a big point and shoot and no doubt she'd want to print straight from memory card rather than piss about with processing in software later.

The reset will make this so :)

Check the mode mentioned above - sounds like it

14. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

If she wants to have a bit of fun, chuck the camera on AV (Aperture Priority) and tell her to play around with it. That way she only has one setting to worry about and can learn how it affects the photos. She'll also get the cool blurry backgrounds that all first-time DSLR users get all excited by. ;)

15. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

cheers for that, i just had a look at chapter 2, and resetting the camera, and i will email the manual to her to have a read, and ask her to come around so i can help her sort it out.

much appreciated.

16. Renza

Renza Member

shouldn't matter if you're using a flash. Should effectively freeze any motion, unless you're trying to make it blurry...

Just make sure the exposure compensation is set to 0.

350D is pretty old now, it can take decent shots, but takes a bit of effort compared to the 5/6x0D. Upgrade if you can IMO, or teach her about ISO, shutter speed and apreture

17. switchblade327

switchblade327 Member

Whaddaya mean first time DSLR users??? :p

Welcome. I have a sister too - I know the mixed emotions well :)

18. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

LOL heres the thing, i told her that her camera is an old model already, and she flipped out, and i told her that her son had that same camera 5 years ago when he was last time over to visit her from perth, and i think the 350D runs back to around 2005 from memory.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  19. mmBax

mmBax Member

2005 sounds about right. I had a second hand 350D that I sold after a couple of years in 2008 or so to buy a 40D.

I think your sister did the best she could under the circumstances without knowing otherwise.

20. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

yeah i understand that, and i am not mad at her so much for the crappy photos, i am more mad at myself for not thinking to have someone there with more knowledge to take proper photos, given it was a very special event in our family life.

normally my american sister in law takes all the official photos, and she is good, and she has a much better camera than my sisters, however on the night of her party, i thought my sister was actually using my sister in laws camera, and i assumed because of that, the camera might have been setup to take better quality photos, even if it was in full Auto mode.

at least the video filmed by my son was much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.