My trip to New Zealand. (Edit, added some info)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by [kane], Feb 23, 2009.

1. [kane]

[kane] Member

Hi,

I also spent the last week in NZ, I did not focus on the classic landscapes, as I did not travel far from my parents place.

Below are a few pics.

Click each image for full location information and HDR info.

[​IMG]

Taken in a hurry, I had been in town 40 minutes and the sky looked like it was going to go good. So I ran down the county road looking for foreground interest.

Tripod was at full reach, and I was holding it firm as this is shot at f11 in Av mode.

The colour is how it was, the 3 RAW files picked up the sky, the fence, and the grass, blending was simple, high LIM, contrast pulled back in LR and a soft light layer added, to wash the glare.

[​IMG]

While driving I had seen a few barns, but the sky was not good. I saw this one and then saw the small patch of blue sky, which adds the contrast needed.

The pole was a bonus, again shot in f11, in Av mode.

I wanted some sheep in this, so I did not get too close to the barn, it would have been nice ;)

Same process really, I removed a lot of the saturation, then bought out the blues and greens. The barn was green! Comp is a classic leading line towards the vanish point.

[​IMG]

Taken a lot earlier in the day, a few hours east of Hamilton. I was watching the clouds (my part time job... hahha) and having lived in NZ, and being a Kiwi, I know the long cloud would last until I found a nice comp, was easy really, as there was a few of these small roads.

f11 again, Av, (once you know the basics you don't need to change much) I took a heap of shots here, I was trying to get all the signs in, without hiding any, also the yellow and the green and the blue always look good when they are blended, the saturation and contrast is high but the white is the key, it adds the balance to the contrasting colour.

I must have looked like a nerd to the passing traffic, always watching for trains, etc etc... hahahah....

[​IMG]

Classic dawn shot, find some sand, a small amount of foreground........ bang. My mum's dog walked intro the shot before I could get the shot off.... dam it....

This is pre-dawn, the colour is always best 20/30 minutes before rise.

Simple setup, watch the tide.... not much waves, so a long exp is fine as wont have any movement. (some in clouds, which can be fixed from layer masking the single RAW, but I like the movement, as you will see on my stream on Flickr, the clouds came in right as the sun peaked.

Always take your shoes off for beach/sand stuff, unless there are rocks..... easier, also let your pod sink into sand, and then if a wave comes.... it wont lower any more, or move ;) hot tip that one ... ;p

[​IMG]

Ahh, my fave. Classic really, watch the sun, watch the light.... think........... hmmmm trees...

This is simple to do, hard to time....... so..... line up, as the sun is coming down........ pop off a heap of shots............... pick the best.... Really its all timing... need to be quick with the 3 exp's for the HDR....

As you can imagine, with the sun coming in the photo is bright, I pays to shoot either a stop under... or grab the light reading from the ground/sky, save settings in head, the setup, focus, then change to the settings you had a moment before..... note... does not always work, and you might be safer taking the shots... and fixing later.

Also, as this is bright.... I reduced the saturation and then popped the green/blues etc etc.... the soft light layer helps to wash the wash, again.

[​IMG]

Very little PP here, off camera 3 RAW's digi blend, then Auto WB, was all about comp, sand was wet and not that interesting.

[​IMG]

My first car HDR.

I walked up, there was a wedding on, they thought I was the tog... hahaha I waited, for the guys to move... got the shot and bugged out.

There is a fair bit of cloning going on here, I removed a heap of leaves.... removed a car from a park, and changed the colour of the church door, as they were blue ;)

Made sure there was sun on the car, for the reflections/shine...

Pushed the LIM in photomatix, then bought it back in LR, PS, soft light again, almost 100%

[​IMG]

From my drive back to Hamilton.

Sky was crap, so I had to go for the stormy, moody look........ easy comp, I removed a pole and some crap from the grass..... small clones....

Grabbed the WB from the pumps, pushed the saturation hard.

In general, I think of comp, setup and take a few pics.... check exp... then do the HDR thing...

I always shoot in RAW, export as 16bit tiff

Basic PP: saturation, contrast, and white balance.... look after them and your half way there.

In HDR, Lim is the brightness, but also adds a 'wash' layer...... like a layer of light... so you can tone this back in PS......

I am still working out my HDR and general PP work flow guide... which I will post on my 'yet to be completed' website...

Thanks for comments, faves, feedback etc etc.

I am from NZ and I plan to head back here sometime soon, likely during the winter for the classic snow/mountain ranges shots, this trip was a family visit trip.

More to come ;)

Feedback and comments welcome.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

#4 is very nice.. natural colours and exposures... I'd print that in a heartbeat..

I just don't "get" the HDR stuff... Don't like it....

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wow, some absolutely stunning shots in there, fantastic :thumbup:

8 is an absolute standout.

4. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

great series here, well done in capturing the vistas there.
    #4 does it for me :)

5. FAL

FAL Member

#2 - Is that rubbish in the foreground? :p
    #3 - Awesome

6. Robjess

Robjess Member

Fantastic mate.. I would frame any and all of them..

7. jesh

jesh Member

Like I always say, landscape is really not something I enjoy often, but there is something about your style that I love. The shot of the light spilling through the tree is timeless. My only crit is the HDR on the last two is a tad too strong for my taste.

8. ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

they are all so pretty! :D well done great images as always

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I have to say I enjoy it being quite strong, especially in the last.

10. s4Rg3

s4Rg3 Member

Was watching them over the past week on flickr..

1, 7 & 8 are my favourites.

11. icarus_m

icarus_m Member

Excellent. I love the last 5.

12. alex1marsh2

alex1marsh2 Member

As always, great subject, great colour, good all round shots!!

Well done Kane,
    Alex

13. OP
    OP
    [kane]

[kane] Member

Agreed ;) in fact some don't look as good as I thought on my home PC .... my mum's laptop is .................. different ;)

Thanks everyone.

14. Belial669

Belial669 Member

So NZ is the land of the long HDR cloud now?

Big fan of the first and last shots, not sure about it but the sky color in 3 doesn't quite match the rest of the shot, but it could be me.

Nice shots.

15. Comix

Comix Member

I love the colour of the clouds in the last one...
    I also love the subject in the first one.
    I also love... this could go on for a while!

great stuff.

16. AmB

AmB Member

Some really, really good shots there.

I particularly like the sun behind the trees and the shadows in #5.

Thanks for sharing your shots here:thumbup:

17. M_D_S

M_D_S Member

absolutely profesional shots. Well done its simply breath taking.

18. sgn

sgn Member

Would be great if you could write up a short process you did on each photo to create this type of shot.. I know there's google to search for HDR process but i'd really prefer to hear your story and how you achieved each shot.

19. whisp

whisp (Banned or Deleted)

i second that motion - would love to see what u where doing and how u where doing it to capture this magnificant photos!

is it at all possible i could get higher res versions so i can use for my desktop ?

20. crepuscular

crepuscular Member

really like the last one, the contrast is excellent...