My Tropheus Tank (56K warning)

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by spedwards, Aug 9, 2006.

1. spedwards

spedwards Member

Tropheus Tanks (56K warning)

I'd like to share some updated pics of my tank (previously posted in the mega thread).

As you might remember, I had a tank with a few sucking cats waiting for a group of Tropheus moorii Ilangi to be added after an overseas trip. Well the trip is over and the fish have arrived!

The tank as it currently stands, basically the same with the addition of fish:
    [​IMG]

Day after arrival:
    [​IMG]

And a few more...:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  2. brycer

brycer Member

Very nice - look almost the same as my Moliro juveniles - but a bit lighter. As mine got bigger they get darker and the fins turn a red colour. The alpha male goes full black with red underbelly when he is ready for a punchon.

Will post some recent pics when I get home. My tank is almost the same look except I have avoided using plants. Had a bad experience with them bringing in blackbrush algae to the last tank :thumbdn:

3. OP
    OP
    spedwards

spedwards Member

Moliro were one of my other choices, it's hard to pick just one... As they are both moorii variants I guess it makes sense the juveniles look similar. I've seen some great Moliro shots from a guy an a fish forum I frequent, you should check it out as there are tonnes of Tropheus keepers and information on there.

The plant is a remnant from a previous tank that was shut down a few months earlier. My mum kept anubius and some wysteria alive in an ice cream tub for me and I couldn't throw anubius out - the wysteria went straight for the bin though :tongue:

I look forwards to seeing some of your pics.

4. chewbucca

chewbucca Member

how much did that tank cost you??

5. n000b

n000b Member

What are the stringy things hanging down from the surface? Plant roots?

6. akaminki

akaminki (Banned or Deleted)

I think they are bubbles which have caught the light

7. brycer

brycer Member

8. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Member

Are the rocks and stuff real or they fake?

Either way where did they come from?

9. OP
    OP
    spedwards

spedwards Member

Sorry about the delayed responses, I didn't get my notification emails that there were updates...

I stopped adding after it went over $1000, it was better that I didn't know in the event the the Mrs asks...

Correct, the only plant in there is the one in plain view. Cichlids and plants don't normally play well, but this was kept as explained above.

Nice pics, it takes a while to get good ones. The ones I've posted are the only worthy ones from a sitting of over 100 taken - thank the lord for digital photography!

They are both real and fake!

The backing is an Universal Rocks "latex" (but not really latex) background that can be bought in most good aquarium stores. The variance in price can be huge though, upto $100 for the one I got, so make sure you shop around.

The other rocks are from a landscape supplier and are basically sandstone that was in the "bush rock" pile. We just rocked up one afternoon and went trawling through the pile which was enormous, found a few good pieces and we were on our way. They charged us $16 from memory, as most of the pieces were dodgey ones they wouldn't be able to otherwise sell.

10. brycer

brycer Member

I will need to keep going with the digital pics as well. Our backgrounds are the same brand and the setup disturbingly similar except that I decided not to stock plants this time around.

11. OP
    OP
    spedwards

spedwards Member

What size is your tank, looks to be about 3 foot?

12. brycer

brycer Member

Its a JEBO 390 which is 900 x 480 x 615mm so yes it is slightly on the small side but I only have a colony of 9 fish. So far the aggression levels have been ok.

13. OP
    OP
    spedwards

spedwards Member

As long as the fish are happy and the water conditions are OK there's really no need to worry. I've heard of people keeping colonies well over nine fish in a 2x2x2...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  14. brycer

brycer Member

I had done my homework and it seemed that the tank was slightly on the small side for a decent colony - which is supposed to be 12+ fish.

So I thought I would try it out with 9 Tropheus plus 3 L Hecqui as bottom dwellers. Originally I was going to stock it as a Tang community but changed my mind at the last minute.

So far the Hecqui are doing the bossing around which is keeping the agression levels manageable. Also have rock piles at each and and the vertical one in the middle to break up line of sight and provide hiding places.

Water changes are 25-30% once per week religiously. Nitrates have been <1ppm for over four months now. KH is a tad high at 21 :shock: but the fish dont seem to give a damn. GH is 17 and PH is 8.5-9.0

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  15. OP
    OP
    spedwards

spedwards Member

Our maintenance regimes are very similar, I do about 33% weekly and have the water aged, buffered and conditioned in a tub ready for the next change. After getting back from the trip overseas I has 0 ammonia and nitrites and 5-10ppm nitrates with no interaction except for feeding every couple of days. I'm very happy with the way that it all performed :thumbup:

I had originally planned on getting a mixed Malawi display setup, but the Tropheus pictures got me hooked.

16. brycer

brycer Member

Having had a Mbuna setup before I thought the Ts would be fun - havent been disappointed so far. I do all my water mixing when I do a change - straight in the bucket. Havent had any issues with this approach so far. Surprised you have nitrates given the change regimen you have going.

17. OP
    OP
    spedwards

spedwards Member

The highs nitrates were purely from the 5 weeks without any changes, I haven't tested since the last water change (last Saturday) but they will work their way back down over the next couple of weeks.

The media I have seems to be doing a great job with the bio work - JBL Micromec. When I was putting the filters together I thought I might be going a little overboard but all seems good so far. I am thinking that I might put together a dedicated nitrate filter using Seachem's "de nitrate", this appears to be very similar to Matrix but is alot smaller.

18. brycer

brycer Member

Personally I wouldnt bother with a denitrating solution if I didnt see a problem developing.

FWIW - I doubled the number of noodles in my trickle filter and run a UV steriliser to keep any nasties out of the water (yes I get less algae growing but such is life). And use Sera Nitrovec at each change to ensure the cycle stays on track - so far so good.

No breeding from the Ts yet but I have seen some practice action occasionally.

When I sort out my botched HDD clone effort from the weekend I will post some pics.

19. OP
    OP
    spedwards

spedwards Member

The nitrate filter is more about a little project to work on rather than actually needing it (not that it would hurt). I'm thinking about putting in some moon light in using CCFL or high intensity LEDs, but we'll see how I go with that after blowing one CCFL set last night...

Your algae growth on surfaces shouldn't be affected by the UV, though it will kill off the floating stuff which is undesired anyway.

I'm happy with them so far, they are settling in well but don't seem to like it when my wife feeds them. With 25 of them, and the way they move so fast, it's hard to keep count that they are all still there. I've tried taking pics but they never all seem to hover in the same location - even when feeding.

20. brycer

brycer Member