my U2711 AG Coating MOD

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by djdude1010, Jun 4, 2010.

1. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

Thought i would share a mod i did to my U2711 last night.

After much debate with my self, i finally cracked the shits at this screen and decided to bite the bullet and remove the AG coating

For people that are sensitive to AG coating, you will understand why i did this. For other people, i would suggest doing this mod to a monitor that is out of warranty (at your own risk of course)

The Result is amazing on this monitor. Colours are richer. picture much much clearer.. it turns a product that was almost unusable for my photography work, into something truly amazing.

Here is the process - (sorry for bad photo's flash was flat and i was kinda shitting my dacks whilst doing this so good photo's where a secondary objective)

First step was to take Panel out of the stand (hardest part of this mod) and the silver bracket around the edge of the panel.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

basically the process is rather simple after that... - take paper towel put them in distilled water, and place them on panel

Click to view full size!

leave it soak for 1 hour.

Take them all off - and go again.

Click to view full size!

Leave for another hour (this could vary depending on amount that AG has baked on) some people have said it took 12 hours.

when its ready with your nail you should be able to lift the edge of the AG coating from the glass, like a sticker from a sheet.

Click to view full size!

*DO NOT FORCE IT* if there is alot of resistance soak it more!!!

should come off in 1 piece (but not always.. some times 2 or 3 depending if it tears) and just be careful with the glass as it is very very thin

Click to view full size!

after this just put the panel back together and you are left with an awesome display. Colour are better, clarity is better.. so im now very very happy with this screen.

Click to view full size!

Let me know what you guys think...

:D

Edit... wish i had a before and after shot of the screen colors .. any one with a U2711 want to meet up with me and compare :p

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. Deadshot_80

Deadshot_80 Member

That looks so nice! Though I don't have the skills to do this. :upset::upset:

3. OP
    OP
    djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

Trust me - if you can use a screwdriver and unplug and plug in cables, then thats about as much skill as you need, it was alot easier then i thought it would be

4. aokman

aokman Member

Fantastic! you have inspired me with this one, i will get mine replaced for the dead pixel then i shall pull mine to bits as the AG coating on these screens just ruins the experience esp when compared to the imac.

im glad to see im not the only one who cant tolerate the stupid coating :(

5. Deadshot_80

Deadshot_80 Member

How are you going to get it replaced with only one dead pixel? I believe that dell's policy requires you to have 6 or more?

6. aokman

aokman Member

"Zero Bright Pixels: Under Dell's Premium Panel Guarantee2, you will receive a free panel exchange should even one bright defective pixel appear on the screen during your Limited Hardware Warranty period."

i dont notice it anyway given the pixel size on this screen but i want it perfect before i void the warranty lol.

7. Deadshot_80

Deadshot_80 Member

Fantastic! Thanks for pointing that out to me. Your the best aokman!

8. aokman

aokman Member

haha no worries, you would expect something for your 1k lcd :D

9. Deadshot_80

Deadshot_80 Member

10. aokman

aokman Member

yeah has to be bright, well you might be able to negotiate who knows? mines bright blue

11. Deadshot_80

Deadshot_80 Member

Sorry I jumped to an conclusion. :lol:

12. OP
    OP
    djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

Do it!!!!! It's probably the best mod I've done on any of my equipment..

If u have any questions about the process feel free to ask..

13. aokman

aokman Member

i forgot to ask also been reading up on removing the ag coatings, does it make the glass incredibly weak or only when your trying to lift the film with the glass stuck to it? dont want a panel i cant clean afterward lol...

14. OP
    OP
    djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

Cant say either way , but ive been using wet wipes on the screen no worries... and if you look at what the AG coating actually is its just a really thin layer of plastic film. which i doubt would give much stuctual integrity at all. tapping my screen now it still feels and exactly sounds the same.

ill post up a pic of the AG coating in a minute to show you what i mean.

15. OP
    OP
    djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

Click to view full size!

here is a pic of the caoting it self. It actually feels more like the plastic you find on the outside of DVD cases where you slip the Cover in.

Hope that helps..

Oh also you might find people saying be sure you arnt taking of the polariser. Its quite obvious what the poloriser is, because as you would expect its a dark film that is completely seperate

16. mrsteve1212

mrsteve1212 Member

The best mod!

What a great mod!!!!

I just bought my U2711 yesterday, and got a shock when I first turned it on, and realized how terrible and distracting the AG coating is. I have an iMac 27", and was somehow expecting a near similar experience. Of course I have and had toher displays with AG coating, but none of them are as grainy and blurry as the U2711.

I'll have to do this mod ASAP!

Thanks again!

17. aokman

aokman Member

its an amazing difference to the imac 27" i just wish there was a easier way to use it as a second display :(

18. Little Man

Little Man Member

Kudos to you op for taking the risk with this, you've got real guts.

I know i would never be able to void the warranty on a $1000 purchase :shock:

19. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Is really worth doing?

Bit of a noob when it comes to this, so i dont notice it all.

Will it look allot better when gaming?

Where do u live?
    I have 1 if u wanna compare, might even get ya to help me with u dont mind, beer provided.... lol

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  20. aokman

aokman Member

im in Melb if you want to compare :)

im not really fussed about the warranty myself, im not happy with the image and the imac is too hard to use as a display only :(

i rekon it will definitely be worth if it has a trait similar to the gloss imac now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010