My W/C case mod (H20 360)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Thomas505, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Thomas505

Thomas505 Member

Finished!!! My W/C case mod (H20 360)

Hi all, decided to have a go at modding one of my cases to enable better airflow/watercooling. I started out with a generic case bought from the computer fair a while back, and modded it to have an extra 80mm fan at the top and added holes in the front facade to give the front fan more airflow. You can see my attempt in the image below.

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

The first thing on my list to do to this case was to add another 15cm to the bottom to house my future radiator and it's fans. I made the frame out of some aluminum stock I bought at bunnings and riveted/bolted it all together. I am quite pleased with the result as it doesn't bend/twist/move and is fairly square.

[​IMG]

Here is a front view showing where i've started the case's blowhole, and to either side there are the holes I mentioned earlier that I drilled to give the front fan access to more air.

[​IMG]

And finally, here is an oblique picture showing everything at once, and you can begin to see that this will be a very tall case.

[​IMG]

That's it for now, more to come.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  2. slamaa

slamaa Member

Nice start mate, what are you planning on using for panels for the extention bit?

3. OP
    OP
    Thomas505

Thomas505 Member

Thanx, its my first real mod.
    I am going to use some kind of mesh (whatever I can get my hands on) to give the radiator fans as little restriction as possible, and for the front I am going to make a clear reservoir, with power buttons, usb ports etc below that.

4. Rational

Rational Member

Looking good, I have subscribed to see how this turns out :)

5. stoj19.

stoj19. Member

Nice work thomas, I am pretty sure my mod is going to smash yours.

what kind of water cooling gear are you planning to house?

6. slamaa

slamaa Member

WTF, who says that?

7. Rational

Rational Member

Not going to get far in OCAU's modding community with such an attitude :)

8. stoj19.

stoj19. Member

sorry guys, it was just a joke.

I did say nice work thomas

9. OP
    OP
    Thomas505

Thomas505 Member

I did sum work on the front facade of the lower section (the part that will house the radiator and res) and should be finished soon. I now have everything I need to start watercooling except some fans and some coolant which I will be getting soon off PCCG. Sorry but I can't get any pic's atm as the batteries just died on my digital camera and I am looking around for some replacements.

Also stoj, my mod will be better then yours simply because I did it and it will be of more (sentimental) value to me. And to answer some peoples questions (IE: stoj) I am using a 3x120mm Dual Pass Radiical radiator, an Asetek pump (link) and a swiftech storm.

That's it for now, i'll try and get sum batteries to get some piccies for ya.:D :D

10. stoj19.

stoj19. Member

can't wait till you get new batteries!!

:)

11. stoj19.

stoj19. Member

hey Thomas, what mesh are you going to use and where are you going to get it from?

12. OP
    OP
    Thomas505

Thomas505 Member

Hey stoj, you can edit your posts rather than make another post directly after it (which admins hate).

Anyway I have no idea what i'll use for mesh, but i'll have a look around and whatever is easiest/cheapest I will use.

13. R3Dl2ULZ

R3Dl2ULZ Member

first let me say: hehe oblique :p. its such a drafting term. although it perfectly described the image.

secondly: i like the frame. tis a good idea. wish id though of that before i cut the front off my Lian Li.

apparently aluminium fabricators and some security screen places often have cheap offcuts that should work for what you want. is most of the lower compartment going to be covered in mesh?

14. OP
    OP
    Thomas505

Thomas505 Member

Just the sides and probably the back, the front will house power buttons, leds (etc) and a res. Anyway due to now having batteries for my camera, here is the progress:

[​IMG]

This is how I started out the front facade for the bottom section, it is part of a facade off an old AT case, and some clear perspex.

[​IMG]

This is the progress on the res so far, I have cut and shaped the front section and have cut out (but not finished) the back and middle parts.

[​IMG]

Here is a back view of the work so far, and you can see my brilliant bends:p :p

That's it for the moment, hopefully I can get the res done by Friday, as that is when I should get my coolant and 3 120mm fans.

Edit: just looked at those photos, it fits together ALOT better than it looks.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  15. stoj19.

stoj19. Member

I see......

Yeah sorry

16. OP
    OP
    Thomas505

Thomas505 Member

WTF does that mean???

17. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

I think you should watch what you say around here, off topic comments and comments that are plain stupid are frowned upon. All these comments lead me to believe you are around the age of 13-16.

Watch what you say, as I can guarantee the admins/mods are...

OT: Thomas that looks like a great start for a first mod, I too am thinking about doing my first major mod and its interesting to see what others are doing. Will watch how this pans out for you.

18. OP
    OP
    Thomas505

Thomas505 Member

K thanks for the support, and just so everyone knows Stoj19 is a friend and he was probably being sarcastic in most things he said.

19. OP
    OP
    Thomas505

Thomas505 Member

Alrite heres a bit of progress:
    Yesterday I started glueing up the res (left at school to dry so no pics), and today I should be able to finish the res altogether, minus filling barbs and input/output barbs (I need to find them first). I also made some radiator mounts and they fit the radiator perfectly, and hold it nice and steady.

I ordered stuff from PCCG yesterday (3 fans, 2 bottles of coolant, fan grills and a dual UV cold cathode kit) so my aim is to have the case either finished or finished to a usuable state before I get those items which should be due on Monday.

Won't get home until about 5pm today so all progress today will be done at school (it'll be get dark/i'm tired by the time I get home) but I will aim to get sum pics for you all. That's it for now.

20. slamaa

slamaa Member

lol, im 16 :)

cant wait to see what the res looks like when finished mate, hope you include some cool leds.