My xbox360 just chewed my copy of streeftighter 4!!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by stuyvesant56, Jul 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. stuyvesant56

stuyvesant56 New Member

went out today to buy a arcade stick for streetfighter 4, managed to find one and came home for a few games; then I suddenly heard a horrible grinding from my xbox.

so I oped the disk tray and sure enough theres a huge scratched in circle on the disk and it wont play.

So i'm pretty pissed off here, do I have any recourse? i'm hoping to get my local video shop to buff it with their machine but its a pretty big inconvenience and what if it happens again :S

2. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Is the Xbox under warranty? I'd send it in (along with the disc) and report that it is eating your game discs.

3. D.Frost

D.Frost Member

That happened to my mate, but he tipped the Xbox when it happened. Was yours laying straight?

4. kizzav

kizzav Member

I lost my first GOW disc in similar fashion, however, my drive cut the disc.

That's right, it cut the disc, from the centre spindle hole outwards.

5. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

Its caused by unbalanced dvd in the tray, there's DIY mod to prevent damage being done. Basically u stick some adhesive pads to the top of the drive cover.

Of course voiding ur 360 warranty is a given

6. RHCP

RHCP Member

Some drives are more prone to this - i would just buy another drive and swap it out.....though there's a little bit more to it.

Cheers.

7. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

same thing happened to my SF4 disk.. im gonna go to eb games to see if they can fix it for me ... will let u know what they say... u can still play if .. but might take a while for it to work.

8. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Sigh... I remember when this first happened to me :(

Couple of friends and I were sitting in the lounge, completely immersed in playing GoW (this was back when it first came out and everyone was super hyped about the game). The xbox was placed vertically and one of my friends decided to "investigate" it and he tilted it while we had our eyes glued to the TV screen. And then there was a sudden scratching/grinding noise and we looked at our friend and the xbox. It was a sad day :o

Anyway, I took the GoW disc down to a local Video Ezy and asked if they could buff the top layer of the disc off to remove the scratches. They did it for $5 which was pretty worth it. Went home and GoW was working perfectly again. Unfortunately, it started scratching the disc again.

Since then, that xbox was diagnosed with RROD (R.I.P.) and has been replaced with one of the newer models :)

Yep, that's the life story of my old xbox! :upset:

9. master phi

master phi Member

Round 1 goes to the xbox 360! :D

10. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

This happened to me too, on mine the 360 was very slightly off-level due to the shelf that it was sitting on not being 100% square.

Gametraders have a disc "grinding" service where they take off the top level of the coating but they claim there's a risk that the disc won't work at all afterwards. We got them to do it and it worked OK after that.

11. flain

flain Member

Happened to me with my copy of bionlicle heros. I wasn't too upset though seeing as the game was making me feel ill :p

I tryed to eject the disc and it wouldnt eject (using the eject option in the dashboard). After trying many times i turned off the xbox and tryed to get it out. While i was fiddling with it my missus presses the xbox button on her controller turning the xbox360 back on while i was holding it in my lap :(

Scratching noise ensued..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2009
  12. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i have a disc breaking story too but on the computer :3
    the motor which moves the laser so it can read all parts of the disc broke, the computer kept trying to read the disc and at the same areas (i think it still spun) so there were areas where the disc had molten

13. Fishface

Fishface Member

Happened to me when I took the Xbox for a drive with a disc in the tray. After the disc wouldn't play I found circular scratches on the surface.

Polishing with Brasso will remove light scratching, heavy scratches can be removed with wet rubbing with 1000 grade wet and dry followed by Brasso.

Brasso is rated as good as any CD polish as well as being cheaper.

14. fellfrosh

fellfrosh Member

You can also call Xbox support and they will sell you a replacement disc for $25. That is if they don't stuff you around by forgetting to tell you that you must return the old disc and then never sending the new one because they are expecting you to do something they never told you about.

You can also ask your local video store if they can run it through their DVD cleaning thing.

15. Segression

Segression Member

didnt think they did this anymore? unless moved? i chewed a disc the other day but its cause i bumped the 360 and it was a backup anyway so eh

16. frieten

frieten (Banned or Deleted)

buy a ps3.

17. Grassy

Grassy Member

Good one you dildo...

Anyway on topic, this is why I always install my games to the hard drive, which also means there is no need to get the disc replacement warranty when buying a new game from EB or Game even though it's only a few dollars(i'm a tightarse).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  18. flain

flain Member

i did but somehow my xbox360 still scratched that disc?!?!

19. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

That sucks, my friend lost a copy of HL1 a few years ago when the computer blew up the disc lol. He said it just kept spinning faster and faster then BANG. The whole tower shuddered apparently lol.
    Sucked for him because he had to get a new drive and HL1 copy

20. OP
    OP
    stuyvesant56

stuyvesant56 New Member

pretty much immediately after I made the original post I went down to the local video ezy and they buffed it out, works fine now.

thanks for the tips tho guys :) fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.