MythTV General Discussion and Support

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Dedge, Apr 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. The Brad

The Brad Member

Many are using things like Kodi and Plex with lower powered devices as playback devices, both can be pretty elegantly run off a NAS and either a cheap USB tuner or my HDHomeRun Connect or Quatro (plug plug).

Hopefully relevant review of my new Quad-tuner:
    https://www.theage.com.au/technolog...a-netflix-style-makeover-20180705-p4zpkk.htmlhttps://www.theage.com.au/technolog...a-netflix-style-makeover-20180705-p4zpkk.html

2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Personally, I'm using TVheadend and absoultely love it. It connects to my Kodi clients perfectly, never misses a beat.

3. The Brad

The Brad Member

Definitely a sweet product for the more savvy user, has some great functionality and the ease of use with Synology and so on these days is fantastic, and you can use the tiny Kodi or Libreelec boxes with it.

4. treblid

treblid Member

I'm still using my MythTV setup: 3x HDHR + 1 backend (VM) + 2 frontends (PCs). I'm thinking of moving to Plex (paid for a lifetime plex pass membership) but finding very little motivation to move away from MythTV just yet. Right now everything just works.

Looking at the mailing list I think the myth devs are making an android port of the frontend. Eventually I'd get around to trying that and retire my 2 old frontends.

5. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Still using 16.04LTS with MythTV as backend and two PC frontends. NUC for one and homebrew for the main, as others have said It Just Works and it provides the required WAF.

6. SteveMenheere

SteveMenheere Member

Mine has been working uninterrupted for the past few years apart from fine tuning shepherd for guide data. A friend recently recommended TVheadend but I haven't looked into it too far yet as, like daehenoc says, the WAF is good with MythTV.
    Mine runs on a HP microserver that is around 7 years old with a couple of Raspberry Pi's running OSMC as the frontends and 2 HDHR tuners

7. Mickey Juice

Mickey Juice Member

Hi guys, I was just wondering what the current state of MythTV is these days... (and has it been superseded?)
    I've been living in Canada since 2012, so that's when my Mythbuntu box was unplugged and never touched since (and old Dell GX280 P4 with 2x Conexant (?) Yuan PG300 DVB cards).
    Next time I visit Oz, I was keen to hook it back up just for recording local news reports (and then upload the raw MPGs).
    Is it worth re-installing or can I just re-scan the channels and go from there?

8. Blinky

Blinky Member

It's been a long while since I had a MythTV box, but I'm living back in Brisbane from Tassie since my wife died.
    I was wondering if anyone had some PlayTV tuners left over from their system build?
    I've got a cool little myth box ready to take some tuners.

9. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

MythTV is still actively developed. I use MythTV everyday and there are still lots of clients (including on Android) to watch your recordings (but not necessarily watch Live TV).

What is starting to become more attractive though is live streaming channels over the Internet and watching past shows on their respective VoD services. A simple ad-blocker can give practically the same experience as MythTV's commercial-removal feature, but most VoD services have noticeably lower visual quality than the broadcast versions (no doubt to encourage you to watch live and see the commercials).

I probably use MythTV to watch my downloaded movies and series, to guarantee the right frame rate and to pipe the raw audio data to the amp for decoding, etc but I have to say Plex is a very attractive alternative with an excellent player and front ends for mobile platforms too.

Sorry to hear. When did that happen?

I'm using two PlayTV tuners on my setup. Unfortunately I don't have any spare. I see a handful on FleaBay though.

10. Blinky

Blinky Member

Four years ago, I’ve only now got over it.

Yes I have a bid on eBay.

11. mongrol

mongrol Member

I'm in Brisbane and have a HDHomerun tuner sitting around doing nothing if you fancy it.

12. Blinky

Blinky Member

Yeah that would be great.
    Pm me where you live and I’ll come and get it.

13. mongrol

mongrol Member

I'll dig it out tonight and let you know. Haven't seen it for a while. :)

14. Blinky

Blinky Member

Did you manage to find it, I'm a bit bored and up for a drive!

15. mongrol

mongrol Member

Yep, got it here. Pm me your mobile number and I'll send my address.

16. Blinky

Blinky Member

You are a ledgen, PM sent. Thanks so much.

17. Blinky

Blinky Member

That didn’t work out, anybody else got some tuners unused?

18. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Will ave a look in the shed on Friday, pretty sure I have a U300 and DTV1000 T from days gone by just gathering dust if you pay postage can send to you.

19. Blinky

Blinky Member

That’s very kind of you but I have enough tuners now.

20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Freeview has more channels these days need more tuners so you can archive all the advertorials and sopping channels. ;)

NP just offering because sounded like you ad none, and these tuners worked but wheren't that great.