MythTV General Discussion and Support

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Dedge, Apr 10, 2007.

1. mike-s

mike-s Member

I've just noticed that ever since channel 10 has switch names from one and 11 to peach and boss (seriously wtf) after their buyout by cbs that none of their channels have any data. I've done a full re-tune and redid shepherds config from scratch without luck. I'll try enabling EIT next, but am really unsure how to go about rectifying this if that fails.

2. shift

shift Member

Was broken last week and I went through the shepherd configure process a few times switching the mappings from the HD to the SD channels and vice versa.
    Got everything except channel 10 going then, and even that seems to have fixed itself now.

Currently broken is: ABC News is an hour out here in Brisbane. 7mate has some dodgy entries.

--

If anyone's still looking for tuners, EBGames has preowned PlayTVs as part of their current '3 for $15' sale.

3. mike-s

mike-s Member

I'm on the shepherd mailing list and got the idea of deleting the channels, edit channels.conf and channel_list and then retune and then re-add them. A forced collection and then a scheduled collect later and it came back by itself.

channels.conf:
    'ONE' => 'one.shepherd.au',
    'TEN HD' => 'tenhd.shepherd.au',
    'ELEVEN' => 'eleven.shepherd.au',
    'TEN' => 'ten.shepherd.au',
    to
    '10 Boss' => '10boss.shepherd.au',
    '10 HD' => '10hd.shepherd.au',
    '10 Peach' => '10peach.shepherd.au',
    '10' => '10.shepherd.au',

channel_list:
    73:ABC,ABC2 / KIDS,ABCME,SBS,SBS 2,7HD,9HD,ONE,TVS,Nine,TEN,Seven,ACC,EXPO,ABC News 24,SBS HD,9Go!,7TWO,9Gem,7mate,ELEVEN,Extra,NITV,TVSN,SpreeTV,RACING.COM,Food Network,9Life,7flix,TEN HD,Al Jazeera NZ
    to
    73:ABC,ABC2 / KIDS,ABCME,SBS,SBS 2,7HD,9HD,10 Boss,TVS,Nine,10,Seven,ACC,EXPO,ABC News 24,SBS HD,9Go!,7TWO,9Gem,7mate,10 Peach,Extra,NITV,TVSN,SpreeTV,RACING.COM,Food Network,9Life,7flix,10 HD,Al Jazeera NZ

daehenoc likes this.
  4. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Since the changeover to TEN's Peach/Boss etc. names, I've never been happy with the guide for these stations via Shepherd. Note that I am in Brisbane.

I've manually changed the above stations to use the XMLTVid that Mike suggested above but this didn't seem to help.
    Note that When running Shepherd in configure mode (config 75), it doesn't see the TEN stations with their new names. i.e. They are show as 10, 10HD, ELEVEN, ONE etc...

My understanding is that 10/10HD (HD is a simulcast of 10), Boss and Peach should all have their own guide data given they are each boradcating different programs at a given point in time.

How have Brisbane people who use Shepherd for MythTV configuring it since the changeover??

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    daehenoc likes this.
  5. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

HUH. I didn't even notice that shepherd wasn't working for Ten channels, guess I better have a lookie!

6. domsmith

domsmith Member

anyone have any updated graphics for the new channel logos?

7. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Hey, some content that I have has sound levels that jump up and down when there's an action scene, you have to crank the volume up to hear it normally, so when an action scene comes along, the speakers are practically jumping around the room! Is this an encoding problem with the source media, and is there anything I can do on MythTV or my stereo to fix it? (I have a 5.1 speaker setup).

8. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Normally that would be the effect you get playing surround on stereo.

Is the source 5.1 as well, or 7.1?

Is Myth outputting raw data to your receiver to decode or is it just getting PCM?

9. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

I downloaded the latest logos from here:
    http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Logopedia

In fact I updated all the logs with ones from this site.

domsmith likes this.
  10. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Hrrmm... so I blew away the channel config, re-scanned for these new stupid channel 10 names, weeded out a billion stupid channels that I don't want, removed my .shepherd directory, reinstalled shepherd and and wound up with this:
    Code:
    Region 75. 20 MythTV channels. 16 Shepherd channels.

#  MythTV Channel                 Shepherd Guide Data
     --------------------------------------------------------
      10  10 HD                          <- TEN HD
      11  10 Peach                       <- -
      12  10 BOLD                        <- -
      14  TVSN                           <- TVSN
      20  ABC HD                         <- ABC
      22  ABCComedy/Kids                 <- ABC2 / KIDS
      23  ABC ME                         <- ABCME
      24  ABC NEWS                       <- ABC News 24
      30  SBS ONE HD                     <- SBS HD
      32  SBS VICELAND HD                <- -
      33  SBS Food                       <- -
      34  NITV                           <- NITV
      70  7HD Brisbane                   <- 7HD
      72  7TWO Brisbane                  <- 7TWO
      73  7mate Brisbane                 <- 7mate
      76  7flix Brisbane                 <- 7flix
      90  9HD Brisbane                   <- 9HD
      92  9Gem                           <- 9Gem
      93  9Go!                           <- 9Go!
      94  9Life                          <- 9Life
    Uh, should shepherd have 10 Peach, 10 BOLD, Viceland and SBS Food channel scheduling information???

11. dafrizz

dafrizz Member

kreegor likes this.
  12. Blinky

Blinky Member

I'm out of hospital again and have some time on my hands. There are a few things I'd like to watch on free to air TV (not much though), but...
    • I can't stand the ads
    • things all seem to be on at the same time or overlap.
    So I going to build a MythTV box to do the ad transcoding, record for me when I'm in hospital and act as my local file server and maybe play a game or to as well.
    I only have a little stand with the 65" LG on top, second shelf is the Bose 300 sound bar and the mythtv boxen would go on the bottom shelf.

[​IMG]

I was going to use this case from Scorptec. Main case page here.The trouble with it is that it only does 2 x 3.5" drives! So I'm after advice on a better case really. I'd like to be holding 4 x 3.25" drives and a DVD drive. Any suggestions to a case? I tried to find and old silverstone LC17, it held lots of drives.

I've got all the tuners well and truely covered with a combination of Asus minis and PlayTV ones.

13. HyRax1

Just get an external USB 3.0 or 3.1 enclosure for your data drives (a simple one that presents either one big RAIDed disk or separate multiple disks for you to deal with directly is fine, rather than a proper NAS). Unless you have a specific need for a full-duplex storage standard like SAS, they work great. And it's easier to get to the drives in the event of failure too.

To reduce the noise factor, consider setting up a regular PC to be your MythTV server with storage in another room and then use something like a Gigabyte Brix PC or similar as your frontend PC via Ethernet (I use about 80+ Brix PC's at work for driving information displays and for distributing MythTV throughout the building, and they can play 4K too despite being an Intel GPU).

I'd also question whether you really need a DVD drive or not. Consider ripping all your DVD's to H264/H265 MKV's instead, or if you want to keep everything intact including the menus, rip a decrypted ISO - MythTV will play it directly (but this of course will consume more storage space).

14. Blinky

Blinky Member

Well I setup mythtv today and have had to jump through some hurdles to get it to work, which by now I didn't think I should have to. I'm using a 2010 Mac-mini which has been modded to have a 1TB SSD and 16GB of ram. The mini has a nvidia 320 chip.
    Why do I have to make a default storage folder? I have made a tmp one in /var to get by, where should it be?
    The main problem I'm stuck on is the size and placement of the menu, it's way small and off screen a bit. I have to guess where it is and when I get it to expand I have to guess what app icon I'm looking at. If I can get a terminal window I have to guess at what I've typed and for example can't read the output of ifconfig.
    Otherwise it's fine and I'm typing this from chrome 2ish meters away from the 65" LG's screen.
    Now that I've got it recording, how do I get it to pass audio through the HDMI cable?

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  15. Blinky

Blinky Member

I tired a different distro, Linux mint with mate and it has fixed all my display issues. The problem now is I cannot get the backend to accept me as a user. Help time please.

16. HyRax1

Change audio settings to output to the HDMI device. These will have various names, but MythTV will display what it detects on the other end as you page through the available outputs, which will help.

Your MythTV frontend should be configured to use the same user name and password used by the server (which is typically "mythtv"). This is separate to the physical desktop login which can be anything you want.

17. Blinky

Blinky Member

The problem is that when I run the backend setup, it asks me to log out then login again, which I do. When I run the backend setup again it says the same thing, it's stuck in that loop. Any ideas?

18. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Double check that you have the MySQL permissions for the "mythconverg" DB set to give access to IPs other than localhost/127.0.0.1.

Even though you might have the credentials right if you don't have this right also the authentication will fail.

19. Blinky

Blinky Member

I've just done an install on some new hardware and the problem I'm getting with mythtv is now is that it's constantly trying to start the database but can't.

20. Blinky

Blinky Member

This is ridiculous, I've tried numerous OSes and all have problems. I have found the combo that works the best on the 65" LG tv and it's a NUC dual booting windows 10 and Linux Mint mate.
    I still can't fix the backend problem and need someone else to have a look at it. Anyone prepared to come in through team viewer or physically come here and have a go? I'm in Alice Street Brisbane CBD and I'm prepared to come out to your place and pick you up and drive you back home when you are done!

Be mindful that I can get working TV video and sound through the HD-HomeRun app.

Last edited: May 31, 2019