MythTV General Discussion and Support

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Dedge, Apr 10, 2007.

1. treblid

treblid Member

Yes it does. Now that would explain why VDPAU support is so bad last few months.

No regrets though, moved to Pi4 and Android and probably not going to use a PC for the front end again.

2. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Thanks treblid, very interesting! I was just about to post about new frontend hardware, with all this potential time off coming up, I was going to move my MythTV backend to the current version (still running Ubuntu 16.10 or .04 LTS) and put in a 4k video card in the main lounge room frontend (seeing as how we have a 4k TV now!)

I also have a new frontend to put in upstairs, so will look at the Pi4 and NVDEC (whatever that is! :) )

3. treblid

treblid Member

Pi4 works surprisngly well (only tested at 1080p though), with a HP MCE IR dongle. Stable as.

The android client so far is still hit and miss (The android app crashes sometimes). But it's becoming my main player now. Android seem to upscale the image to 4K, and to be honest, it's pretty good for what we're given (factoring in the compressed channels we have here). This box is so hackable - allows me to auto start apk, mount 1x CIFS and 1x NFS. So I mounted my TV recordings on CIFS, movies on NFS, and auto start MythTV on boot.

Note that I'm using MythTV 31 (effectively master), so the older branches may be more stable.

I've already moved my MythBackend into a VM ages ago (from ESXi -> xcp-ng and now Proxmox) with 3 HDHR tuners. It's been great.

4. blindy

blindy Member

Any modern skins yet?

5. treblid

treblid Member

I'm old school.. MythCenter will do well by me... Having said that, I'm using Steppes-large. It suits my needs.

Incidently, finally figured out the reason why the volume output is so low on my android. The device is locked to max volume of only 15! In device settings I've increased volume to 100 and everything is almost perfect now.

6. mike-s

mike-s Member

I'm slowly playing catchup.
    Up until a fortnight ago I was running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with all the related mythtv plugins. i would have left it alone, except that it was starting to stutter and misbehave. I got it upgraded to 14.04 LTS, which seemed to have fixed a few annoying bugs that we had learned to (begrudgingly) live with, then i realised I'd completely forgotten that i was running a 32 bit version of the distro despite having 8Gb installed *facepalm*.

Looks like I've got a little bit of work ahead of me now....