MythTV General Discussion and Support

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Dedge, Apr 10, 2007.

1. treblid

treblid Member

Yes it does. Now that would explain why VDPAU support is so bad last few months.

No regrets though, moved to Pi4 and Android and probably not going to use a PC for the front end again.

2. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Thanks treblid, very interesting! I was just about to post about new frontend hardware, with all this potential time off coming up, I was going to move my MythTV backend to the current version (still running Ubuntu 16.10 or .04 LTS) and put in a 4k video card in the main lounge room frontend (seeing as how we have a 4k TV now!)

I also have a new frontend to put in upstairs, so will look at the Pi4 and NVDEC (whatever that is! :) )

3. treblid

treblid Member

Pi4 works surprisngly well (only tested at 1080p though), with a HP MCE IR dongle. Stable as.

The android client so far is still hit and miss (The android app crashes sometimes). But it's becoming my main player now. Android seem to upscale the image to 4K, and to be honest, it's pretty good for what we're given (factoring in the compressed channels we have here). This box is so hackable - allows me to auto start apk, mount 1x CIFS and 1x NFS. So I mounted my TV recordings on CIFS, movies on NFS, and auto start MythTV on boot.

Note that I'm using MythTV 31 (effectively master), so the older branches may be more stable.

I've already moved my MythBackend into a VM ages ago (from ESXi -> xcp-ng and now Proxmox) with 3 HDHR tuners. It's been great.

4. blindy

blindy Member

Any modern skins yet?

5. treblid

treblid Member

I'm old school.. MythCenter will do well by me... Having said that, I'm using Steppes-large. It suits my needs.

Incidently, finally figured out the reason why the volume output is so low on my android. The device is locked to max volume of only 15! In device settings I've increased volume to 100 and everything is almost perfect now.

6. mike-s

mike-s Member

I'm slowly playing catchup.
    Up until a fortnight ago I was running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with all the related mythtv plugins. i would have left it alone, except that it was starting to stutter and misbehave. I got it upgraded to 14.04 LTS, which seemed to have fixed a few annoying bugs that we had learned to (begrudgingly) live with, then i realised I'd completely forgotten that i was running a 32 bit version of the distro despite having 8Gb installed *facepalm*.

Looks like I've got a little bit of work ahead of me now....

7. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

FFFFFFFffffffffff......

So I bought myself an NVIDIA GT1030, so I can play 4k content on my nice 4k TV. The frontend is running an old ASUS P8H77-I motherboard, which I needed at the time, for the optical SPDIF out. I've taken a backup of the old frontend and backends, so I can roll it all back (ugh, to 16.04LTS). Oh yes, I upgraded from 16.04LTS to 18.04LTS to 19.10. This appears to have caused a few minor problems on the mythtv-backend, i.e. mysql server wasn't installed.

I thought I'd use Ubuntu Budgie for a laugh, that got tossed out when I found that their whole desktop couldn't run without gnome-screensaver (I want to use xscreensaver) and I couldn't figure out how to stop gnome-screensaver from not starting on boot, or how to remove it without the budgie desktop environment being removed as well. Went with vanilla Ubuntu 19.10.

Everything goes well, up to the point where the nvidia-drivers-435 package is installed after that first boot. I reboot and the keyboard and mouse don't work in the desktop any more. They work fine in BIOS, so it's not a mechanical thing. Just for shits and giggles, I mess around with playing musical USB ports for ages, find stuff about reinstalling xserver-xorg-input-all and reconfigure, purge and reinstall that for a while just to increase the frustration level. It doesn't fix the problem.

I finally find a thread about the nvidia drivers maybe causing this issue, so I remove nvidia-drivers-435 and go back to the noveau driver and my kb and mouse work at the desktop again!!! I try nvidia-drivers-435, -430 and -390, all no good. I'm going to try -418, but I do not hold out hope. (Durr, -418 is a transitional package to -430, so f.that)

Even pulled down 440.82 off the nvidia.com site and used their installer - it worked, but same problem, no kb/mouse once the desktop environment loads.

Does anyone have any clever suggestions, apart from 1) buying a newer mini-ITX board to go with the newer video card, 2) buying a newer video card as well, or 2) restoring back to 16.04LTS?

(Why the f are my mythtv upgrades never f'ing simple!!??) (Trying Budgie again, to see how it goes with the nvidia-driver-435 install...)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  8. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Well, my rollback plan worked perfectly! Restored the clonezilla image of the backend, dropped the original SSD back into the frontend and at least that f'ing worked!

In retrospect, moving from a four year old Ubuntu installation and attempting to move from 16LTS to 18LTS to 19.10 was probably silly. Next time I have a go at this (because I want that nice 4k video!), I'll take another backup of the backend, take a copy of the db and anything else I need and do a fresh install of mythtv. Then I'll keep up with the most.recent.version-1. Duh.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

wait 1 week April 16 is release candidate 20.04LTS, will have a 10 year support. Or install 18.04 then upgrade once the first minor release is released.

10. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Aye, I did see that, thanks for the tip!

Oooh, and Ubuntu Focal (come on, that's a stupid name) has MythTV 0.31!

11. fleasidewinder

fleasidewinder Member

Hi cant install shepherd when using 20.04LTS some dependencies not supported.
    Does anyone have any answers to over come problem.
    Installed 20.04 and mythtv 31.
    EPG works fine.

Kind regards,
    Mark

12. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Hi Mark, you will need to post the output of shepherd while you are trying to install it, so we can see what dependencies are missing.

13. fleasidewinder

fleasidewinder Member

Hi,
    Following is the start of the installation of shepherd and feedback from terminal entry.
    As you can see at the bottom of the data one of the dependencies gets substituted and no substitute is found for another.
    If you carry out the dependency install and then "perl shepherd" it wont install properly due to missing dependency. I am not sure if the subtitled dependency is also correct.
    All install information is followed from the github installation manual.
    https://github.com/ShephedProject/shepherd/wiki/Installation#steps---new-installations
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    :~$ wget 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ShephedProject/shepherd/release/applications/shepherd'
    --2020-05-05 03:30:46-- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ShephedProject/shepherd/release/applications/shepherd
    Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 151.101.28.133
    Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|151.101.28.133|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 165116 (161K) [text/plain]
    Saving to: 'shepherd’

shepherd 100%[===================>] 161.25K --.-KB/s in 0.05s

2020-05-05 03:30:46 (3.37 MB/s) - 'shepherd’ saved [165116/165116]

:~$ sudo apt-get install libxml-simple-perl libalgorithm-diff-perl \libgetopt-mixed-perl libdata-dumper-simple-perl libdate-manip-perl \liblist-compare-perl libdatetime-format-strptime-perl \libhtml-parser-perl libxml-dom-perl libgd-gd2-perl libarchive-zip-perl \libio-string-perl xmltv libdbi-perl libsort-versions-perl libjson-perl libobject-tiny-perl
    [sudo] password for mark:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Note, selecting 'libgd-perl' instead of 'libgd-gd2-perl'
    E: Unable to locate package libgetopt-mixed-perl
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kind regards,
    Mark

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  14. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

15. fleasidewinder

fleasidewinder Member

Yes have carried out your suggestions.
    If you look at the package it only supports up to 19.10 not 20.04 which I need.
    Ubuntu 20.04 doesn't support that package.
    Kind regards,
    Mark

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  16. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Yeah... I just realised I reference the wrong distribution, duh! Er, next thing to do is contact the shepherd maintainer and ask if shepherd will be updated to work with the packages available in Ubuntu 20.04.

17. fleasidewinder

fleasidewinder Member

Ok. Not sure if it is being maintained as original location has been disbanded.
    Will look into it and let you know.
    Just thought someone might of had a fix.
    I have 12 Mythtv systems I maintain and was looking forward to uodate all of them to 20.04 from 16.04.
    Have sorted all other problems from upgrade for e.g. no LIRC support now.
    Thanks for your time.
    Kind regards,
    Mark

18. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

I'm just starting to build my new frontend, and have all that set up before doing the backend upgrade from 16 to 20!

19. fleasidewinder

fleasidewinder Member

Hi daehenoc I will be doing a clean install of 20.04 then add Mythtv 31, shepherd and ir-keytables (Remote Control Operation) to bring all the Mythtv systems up to 2020 standards.
    I have in the past did OS upgrades but ended up with too many issues and spending more time then just doing a clean install trying to fix them.
    The following link will give you the information to be able install shepherd with no issues thanks to willat8 help.
    https://github.com/ShephedProject/shepherd/issues/19
    I also use Sony PlayTV tuner for my TV digital channels. This tuner is USB connection and has two digital tuners in one, so hooking up two PlayTV tuners will give me four digital tuners and being able to have up to 10 digital streams covers most requirements.
    Thanks daehenoc.
    Happy to help anyone if I can.
    Kind regards,
    Mark

20. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Love your work fleasidewinder! And thanks for posting the solution :D

I also have two PlayTV tuners, they are excellent!