MythTV General Discussion and Support

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Dedge, Apr 10, 2007.

1. fleasidewinder

fleasidewinder Member

Has any one had trouble getting ir-keytable to work in Ubuntu 20.04 with RC6 remote using the nuvoton-cir driver.
    Can't get "ir-keytable -test" to show the correct inputs in the terminal window when remote buttons are pressed.
    Kind regards,
    Mark

2. Blinky

Blinky Member

3. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

All good thanks man, I have two PlayTV tuners and two spares :)

4. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

I seriously considered replacing my 6 x Sony PlayTV tuners with a couple of these.
    Only thing stopping me was the fact that in a power outage the switch they attach to is yet another item that has to be connected to the UPS.

Hoep the sale goes well.

5. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Hey, for some of my movie files, the sound levels are whack - turning the volume up enough to hear the dialog etc means ear-destroying levels when we get to an action scene! Does anyone know why this happens? Doesn't seem to happen with discs...

6. Blinky

Blinky Member

Hey guys I was wondering if I could pick your brain power for a bit please, I’ll try to be brief.

So... I bought a new LG CX OLED 77” telly. Did lots of reading up and reviews as you do and finally bit the biscuit and parted with $6860.00 after many a haggling down from $8,490.00
    I’m recovering well after the bill shock and then I go to record something and watch something else halfheartedly as I read. That’s when it occurred to me that there is only one tuner in the f@#&& thing!

So I am back here with my tail firmly between my legs, asking for some help, please. Let’s be honest, it can’t be the only modern TV with STS (Single Tuner Syndrome).

To be honest it is a very unusual event to occur, this free to air problem that I have, because I’m on a big fiber link and I just stream everything - twice even. The point being I only really want a full solution with a part-time fix.
    The stuff I have laying around still..
    Raspberry Pi 4, maybe even a case, if I’m lucky. Might have a short usb cable, but definitely no PSU.
    400GB extreme SD card fits the Pi.
    HDHomeRun Connect Quatro tuner, perfect nic.
    AppleTV 4K 64GB
    Roku Ultra 2020

Here’s what I’ve read;
    Can get a beta HDHomeRun app to suit the Roku
    Can get a AppleTV app sort of - it’s called Channels Plus App for Apple TV. Listed as well is Channels DVR in my App Store. The Plus version is $8 usd per month. Linkage here; https://getchannels.com/features/
    There is also a VLC App for AppleTV. https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-appletv.html
    Then there is the Raspberry Pi MythTV option, with https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
    and continues with https://www.raspbian.org/

So, (yes that’s the third paragraph beginning with “So”) So, I could record on the TV to USB drive - then watch on the Apple TV ?
    But would “have to” watch on one as I couldn’t record both.

Ah! It seems like the Channels app is just a front end, as installing it causes a request for the DVR component which is in the bit you pay for.

That would leave the only complete option in the Pi and MythTV wouldn’t it?

Thoughts? Ideas? What would Donald do? Maybe... http://whatwoulddonalddo.org/. <—— don’t click that, you want to don’t you...

7. Azure-Drued

Azure-Drued Member

Could be Dynamic EQ or Active EQ depending on your Audio System.(you might have bumped the setting button)... I had that problem but turned it off, Found it fixed my problem. Hope that helps

daehenoc likes this.
  8. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

As I understand it, recording to HDD literally dumps the received data from the antenna with no further processing, so most playback devices should be fine with this. It will be more about its tolerance for missing blocks of data in a bad reception situation (some players just crash).

You can also record and play FTA-TV MythTV-style with Plex using the same tuners (although I think you can't multiplex from memory), but that requires the paid license (most people shoot for the one-off lifetime license given all the other benefits).

9. fleasidewinder

fleasidewinder Member

You can also use Jellyfin which mimics Plex with no costs associated with it like Plex. You can also have others remotely connect to the Jellyfin and access the movies, tv, recordings etc. My Jellyfin has a Play TV tuner hooked up to it which allows remote users to watch TV and records TV shows. My Jellyfin is also linked with my Mythtv system and access the files on it too.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  10. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Video card died in Frontend.
    Seems to have taken out the Myth install as well.

I figured that a reinstall on 20.04 was best given it was running Xubuntu 16.04.
    I've not yet reached the stage where I am ready to upgrade to v31 of MythTV, so need to install v30.
    Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to update that repo on 20.04.

Updating apt cache after adding the v30 repo gives this:

E: The repository 'https://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/30/ubuntu focal Release' does not have a Release file.
    N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Have tried running apt update with Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories=true and Acquire::AllowDowngradeToInsecureRepositories=true temporarily to update apt cache but still no deal.

Can anyone enlighten me how to get this older version of Ubuntu installed?
    Would prefer to install this from a repository rather than from source due to subsequent upgrades being a whole lot easier.

Cheers.

11. rosspa

rosspa Member

12. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Absolutely, +1
    Why not upgrade to v31? I recently just ditched everything from my legacy MythTV install and started from scratch - it's clean, no crap left in the db, fast. I'm very happy.

13. fleasidewinder

fleasidewinder Member

If you install 18.04 it will support Version 30 of mythtv and you can install from respiratory.
    I am currently running 20.04 and 18.04 on some systems.
    The 20.04 with Ver 31 works great and install the latest Shepherd gives you all the Channels.

14. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Will go with 18.04 then.
    Would prefer to get the frontend working again before doing the upgrade to v31.

15. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

I used this for the longest time but was surprised to find it had the same issue as I did trying to install the v30 repo upon the most recent install.

16. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Happy new year, you lot.

Just upgraded to v31 this week on Ubuntu 18.04 and am loving it. Has fixed a number of small issues over my previous v29 install on the client side, and I'm loving the HDR to SDR tone-mapping for 10-bit content. Works really well and matches what Plex does nicely.

My mythconverg database is over ten years old now, and I noticed that the "recordedseek" table was over 4GB in size (by itself!) and corrupted. Repairing and optimising was not an option, so had to backup the database sans that table, drop the database, have the "mythtv-database" package recreate the database and tables for me (so I get that table recreated cleanly), and then import the backup back into it. Now the recordedseek table is only 47MB and launching recordings and downloaded media is MUCH faster.

17. Blinky

Blinky Member

Happy New Year J!

18. SteveMenheere

SteveMenheere Member

What are people using as tuners these days? I've been using a pair of HDHomerun Dual tuners for many years, but one just died and I'm trying to decide if I replace it and what with if I do.

19. Blinky

Blinky Member

I sold my HD Homerun Quad tuner a few months back as I just didn't use it.
    I think I still have a couple of U3100 in a box somewhere.

Something I did that was fun, was a Raspberry Pi Tuner that just sits on the gpio and is the perfect size for the RPi Zero. I'll link in TV-Headend which is epic, and I mean epically-more-easy than doing it manually via the terminal and creating a frequency list in a txt file and passing that into VLC, I won't link that method in. (yes, "epically-more-easy" is a double suppurative adjectival phrase - trust me, I'm a lexicographer! LoL)

Time for coffee - On to the Video!

20. fleasidewinder

fleasidewinder Member

Hi,
    I use the Sony Play tv with two inbuilt tuners per module.
    They connect via USB and recognized in mythtv no problems.
    Connect two tuners gives you four digital streams.