NAD C350 as Preamp to Phonic MAX 1500 Power Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by synic, Jul 21, 2019.

1. synic

synic Member

Hi all. I've ended up with a Power Amplifier - a Phonic Max 1500, and I want to use it in my HiFi setup. This one but without the PLUS https://www.whathifi.com/phonic/1500-plus/overview

My current Amplifier is a NAD C350, https://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/nad-c350_e.html and I want to use the NAD C350 as the Preamp into the Power Amp. Is this possible or is that too much power?

To be perfectly honest the NAD is sufficient for my needs but I don't want to let the Phonic Max 1500 go to waste.

If I run my speaker terminal out wires of the NAD C350 in to the XLR input connectors of the Phonic 1500 will I fry the input connector (board) of the Phonic MAX 1500? Or should power amps be capable of handling this sort of load?

I have another thread about making some DIY Speaker Out to XLR in cables in order to connect the C350 to the Phonic 1500.

2. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

The Nad 350 does not come with Pre-out connections, Therefor it's totally unsuitable to be used as a Pre-amp

Pugs likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    synic

synic Member

... Bummer. Well, that is the key word I was 'overlooking' in the height of my enthusiasm for my new acquisition. In order to use a power amp I need to marry it with some that has Pre-Out..? Is that because of the output of the NAD C350 is greater than the Phonic would be able to handle, or because I've not understood some of the basics of setting up HiFi with a dedicated Power Amp? TBH I've never really thought about this. Pre-Out... Hmm. What can I do about this? I've other amps...

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

The other amp is designed for PA systems.. to drive 12" and horn+ speaker boxes

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    synic

synic Member

So, really, If I want to use the Phonic 1500 in a 'domestic situation' then I need to scale back the hardware and rid myself of the 'Amplifier' concept altogether, and just use it as the Power Stage in my Computer Audio setup; hence from my Asus Xonar STX. Would that be a much better use of the Phonic 1500?

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

I personally would never use such a powerful amp in a domestic set up...

Sell it.. use the money to use something more appropriate

7. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Pugs likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    synic

synic Member

Hi All.
    Update: Discontected my NAD C350 - Now running my computer (with music and film collection) straight out via ASUS Xonar STX v1 as the pre-amp into the Phonic MAX 1500. I doctored up some RCA to TS (mono unbalanced) plugs into the Phonic. Volume control is exclusively via keyboard shortcut on my Fedora 29 System. And... man that thing is loud. I'm not sure what the rating is but I'm farly certain I could blow my JBL H810's.

I have this 'little problem'... I like audio equipment. And now it's up and running I really want to try it out for a few weeks. Kids are already complaining... they like the dial of the NAD C350 and don't think it's much fun using keyboard shortcuts in Fedora. So, think I'm going to MothBall the NAD C350 for a few weeks (like all my other amps) and see how the Phonic goes. I've got to clean it up (the Phonic) as it's all scratched up from the DJ who used to own it but it works, after a bit of tinkering, and I still need to Deoxit the pots on the volume controls. I think the left channel is out, but nothing a twist of the dial doesn't fix.

9. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Lucky NAD.

The way your going your going to destroy everything and end up with nothing.

Pugs likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    synic

synic Member

Wow. Turns out the C350 has pre-out. Bridged in the back. Hmm. I did not realise that. Had it for years and only just discover this now. Very interesting.