1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Namco Noir clean up

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by mR_CaESaR, Jun 15, 2020.

1. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Thought I'd create a thread about this new project cab

Ever since I got the Noir, I wanted a second one! I knew the guy I purchased from had a second one and I've been trying to buy it off him since day 1... He didn't want to as he said he used it for random corporate events he loaded a snes in it with a custom panel

[​IMG]

After months of nagging him, I offered him a little more than what I got the first noir and he said eventually said yes :D. Fortunately he had the original panel

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the i/o isn't there :( no biggie though as I purchased two i/o's from YAJ a few months back which cost me 40 bux shipped!

[​IMG]

After a quick test I got the dreaded "check fan alert", I've purchased some fans to fix, but I've been told by OsirusANZ that he used wd40 on his and it cleared the error.. I'll try it out.

[​IMG]

Lastly, I wanted to try the vga linking that my first cab had and it was so simple it wasn't funny! Voila!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cab still has a fair bit of work but I'm glad to have the second set. They're very nice cabs!

To do:

- give it a good clean
    - fix the lcd alert
    - fix the lamp (have ordered a whole heap of t5 led tubes to retro fit my astros too)
    - install jvs Namco i/o
    - pad hack a 360 pcb with connector attachment
    - make a harness for the controller (just got the order from rs components)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Vanne, adz, Kimosabe and 3 others like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Managed to disassemble the monitor and give the fans a good clean and gave it a good spray of wd40 which made the alert disappear!

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, after a few days, the dreaded fan alert is back! :(

[​IMG]

I've ordered some 24v fans off ebay so I'll see how those go in a month or so

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Vanne, adz, FIREWIRE1394 and 2 others like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

What a crappy day at the office with doing the controller pcb...

I didn't want to really purchase anything new for the pcb as my main purpose is pc and 360 for the noir. I knew I had some old pcbs from when I used to mod peoples fight sticks back in 09 so I rummaged through the stock pile and found a chimp pcb with a 360 pcb - perfect for dual modding!

[​IMG]

After a solid few hours worth of cutting, stripping and soldering... The mod was done - so I thought

[​IMG]

Things were wired correctly, but Left, left kick (button 4) and hk (button 6) weren't working.. Got the trust multimeter out and confirmed continuity.. I plugged into a pc and used the Ps3 pcb and confirmed everything was working, so it was a dead pcb! Smh..

Fortunately I had a second pcb with the exact same foot print, I started wiring that up...

[​IMG]

Everything was perfect, I was cheering and putting the final touches where I put a pcb feet on.. As I was tightening the foot, I clipped a diode on the pcb and popped out... The worst part about it was the whole solder pad was taken along with it and was left with just the pcb with nowhere to solder... Anothet 3 hours down the drain!

I had one more attempt as I had an old SFIV fight pad..

[​IMG]

Ripped the internals out and made sure I was extra careful - so what do I do, drilled holes in the pcb :) (I did make sure there were no traces where I drilled)

[​IMG]

Fortunately, everything is now working as expected and my connector is wired to go straight into the Namco connector without having to splice anything.

Was a nice way to spend the whole Saturday! #saidnooneever :D

adz, WuZMoT and Vanne like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Busy night with the crimper tonight.

Got harnesses made up for the noir and she's working like a treat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made the harness so it's completely interchangeable with the original connectors, this way if I want to use a jvs game board, it's a matter of unplugging from the dual mod and plug it back into the cp connector!

Vanne, adz and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Bought another T5 led to fit on the noir. Removed the old ballast, wired it up to some connectors.

[​IMG]

Turned it on and bob's your uncle! God the monitors on these cabs are amazing! Considering these are 12 yo 720p lcds, they still look amazing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step was to sort the i/o out.

20 dollar purchase from YAJ...

[​IMG]

Perfect fit!

[​IMG]

Will test out the linking module of the jvs i/o, I know vga and audio work fine, just need to test the controls.

Not much left to do other than a deep clean, a shelf and change of artwork.

Vanne, adz and gloonk like this.
  6. Kimosabe

Kimosabe Member

Great stuff! I recently got a Noir HD myself and it definitely needs a bit of cleanup, though you are 100% bang on regarding the screen.
    Do you mind if I post questions in here, or should I keep your thread clean and pm you?
    Cheers!

7. OP
    OP
    mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

I'm easy.. I don't mind questions here.. it's a good reference for people if they have the same questions :)

adz likes this.
  8. Kimosabe

Kimosabe Member

Groovy! I'll be starting with taking the shell around the screen off to clean it up and look at the fan since it's very noisy. You mentioned getting some replacement 24v fans, so I guess a 12v Noctua wouldn't fit the bill without adjustments - what fan did you purchase?
    Secondly, reading the arcadeotaku tekken6 manual for the noir shows a power switch of some sort just inside the main panel access under the controls area, does yours have that?

Edit: I'm not sure if these came with fluoro tubes stock up top to shine on the top board, but mine has two globes put in - likely from the seller - and one's busted. I don't have any art for the top board atm, but I'm thinking I might get some printed and do what you did with the T5 tube. Were the connectors for the T5 tube much trouble to make? (And could I pay you to do them? Wink wink)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  9. blondie_hunter

blondie_hunter Member

As someone born in the 80s I deeply enjoyed these arcade machines when I was a kid. Always skipped class to go and play them. Received a lot foot work on my butt after my folks found out...

But I'm not nostalgic like many of the guys from that era. I'm all for newer hardware with improved visual, performance, and playability. For me it's a bit difficult to understand why some people could still put up with these old stuff:D

Mind I ask how old are you op?

10. Kimosabe

Kimosabe Member

Blondie: I understand you may have been talking to mr_caesar, but if it's ok I'll chime in.
    My entire experience with arcade until 10 was a Snow Bros. machine in the norwood parade, where the big foodland complex is today. So it wasn't a big draw in my youth and went forgotten for a long time until coming across MAME and the two capcom dungeons and dragons games, Shadow Over Mystara specifically and playing them with my bestie. Since then arcade became a hobby and I've been able to chase it in recent years and save up to purchase two machines, the Noir here and my first machine, a Sega Blast City. Being a bit late to the party meant I can't really afford PCBs for games and rely on emulation.

Short of perhaps an Initial D/Wangan driving cab I'm basically set between the two cabs I have for games that interest me. As for "putting up with these old stuff" it definitely eats away at your free time. My blast city's screen needs some work - likely a recap - so for the mean time I'll be using the noir for my entertainment. If you're interested in checking either of my machines out feel free to PM me :)

11. OP
    OP
    mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Yes, mine definitely has a big white power switch at the top left after you open the service door.

I didn't have the correct connectors on me, so I just jigged up using a 4 way connector, it's not too hard - it's really just basic crimping and using the correct connections :)

Do you still have the bracket for the fluro? As that makes it much easier

I'm 38, so I'm an 81 kid - spent most of year 6 through to 12 (so 93 through to 99) at the arcade and pool hall. My whole setup is pretty much from this era - I didn't understand as a kid the quality of an arcade CRT until very recent when I started owning them.. Nostalgia is one thing, but the appreciation for the games from the 90's in full 240p has only become prevalent in recent years for me. It's absolutely amazing :D

The "HD" setup is based of newer arcade systems and modern fighters - Street Fighter 4 pretty much brought the "love" of arcades back to me, it started with the game, then the joysticks then the bartop builds and of course, to where "man cave" is now at :)

Not everyone is a fan of playing "old stuff" and this arcade cab in particular is already "old" since it was 2008 when the Noir was released, but I tell you what, they will still hold up in a current arcade. I enjoy my modern fighters, so there's always a place for these cabs in my house.

It's all about the "experience" - much like any other hobby, it's all about the user experience, some will understand, some wont.

hahahah we always say "we're done" :D but someway, somehow, there's always that "last purchase" :D I'm living proof! Problem is when I've been fortunate enough to purchase "really cheap" compared to the normal standard as I rely on Jomac to fix a dead chassis. With modern cabs - it's easy enough to update with a modern LCD (did it with my other cabs)

12. Vanne

Vanne Member

Man I love it when you make stuff!!!
    You make it look professional. Amazing work on the cab and controller.

Top bloody notch!

mR_CaESaR likes this.
  13. Kimosabe

Kimosabe Member

Darn, I've looked inside mine and can't find a switch that may have been dislodged during transit. This would be nice to get up and running though it's not a massive inconvenience since I can flip the main on/off on the back.
    No, I don't have the bracket. The pictures here show how it is: https://imgur.com/a/H18wHWY
    Heard many, many, great things about Jomac and will send the Nanao chassis out of my blast city to him/them at some point.

You didn't comment about the fans :)

14. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

Nice one... Looks like Aurora dash?

15. OP
    OP
    mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Thanks mate! I try and make this as neat and as "oem" as I can.. problem by doing that is things generally take much longer :(

It's a massive inconvenience if your cab is behind a wall and you'd have to move it to get to the back :)

Definitely look for it. Are there wires dangling around?

Ahh I see. you're probably going to have to rig up something to sit the T5 led's on (if you decide to go that route). It shouldn't be too hard, obviously if you want original brackets, they'd be quite hard to find. The T5's I have are a perfect fit and the same width (600mm), also have fitted them on the blasts and will convert the astro cities too with the same light.

You might want double check with him. He doesn't normally do blast city chassis as I've realised. They are such a pita for him to work on and really really dangerous he said. He's recently both my chassis (MS2930 and MS2931) but I think it's a job that he won't often do. I was lucky enough that he said he'd do my blasts.

hahah oops..

I purchased 4 of these to have as spare set for when the other two die - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NMB-MAT-80-80-15MM-8CM-24V-0-16A-3106KL-05W-B59-3Pin-Cooling-Fan/263983139754?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

However, I have not installed them yet. I ended up getting a pair from a mate who replaced his monitors (he's got two as well) with LG IPS monitors (same monitors I've used with my Chinese Vewlix cabs), so he gave me his set of fans that already have the pin header (he too replaced his)

Definitely Aurora. An RGH 360 is the best thing to happen for fans of Cave shmups as the only console port of some of their best games are on the 360 and the noir is a 720p monitor, making it a perfect match for the 360.

That being said, Marvel Vs Capcom is running on original hardware (naomi with netboot) and SFV is running on a PC.

For this machine, I have a PC (really low spec) and a 360 which will cover 90% of the modern games I will play.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  16. Kimosabe

Kimosabe Member

Cheers for the response, I'll take a look into mine and see what I can get started on. :thumbup: