1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Nano Build for AMD!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by STUdog, Feb 5, 2016.

1. STUdog

STUdog Member

So just before Xmas AMD hit me up to build them an AMD Nano build. A build they could feature their new R9 Nano GPU in it. With a few guidelines etc (like the case form factor) I got to work. Then I'd ship the build to them to do whatever they wanted with.

It was up to me to find a suitable case in the console sort of style. After looking at the few available my choice went towards the Fractal Design Node 202. I think in the end this case turned out perfect for the job and huge props to Lihan for sending this one over.

When it comes to AMD CPUs for Mini-ITX there really isn't much of a choice. Hence why this build is using FM2. Many people have questioned to why I used this without knowing that there are NO AM3 boards in Mini-ITX.

Other than the main parts the RAM is 16GB of HyperX and we've gone with 2x WD 1TB SSHDs for plenty of gaming storage.

The only other request from AMD was to add an Xbox Elite controller to the package. Oh, and match it to the build as well.

I really didn't get any progress shots done as time was against me. Everything you see in this build I did myself, (although I didn't do too much overall) I just wanted a sleek look minimalistic build.

Here's a short video I did

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Great little case. Have been eyeing one off for a htpc.

How did the little rig go gaming? Was the nano held back at all by the cpu?

3. Andy3008

Andy3008 Member

Superb, I'd buy that.

4. OP
    OP
    STUdog

STUdog Member

Havent had a chance to test the rig yet. But the CPU will be fine with the Nano. 7850K is the CPU

5. Head

Head Member

Damn! Looks good. The nano probably thermal throttles like a bitch in that case though.

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

nah, direct intake from outside it'll be fine.

why does everything think the Nano thermal throttles anyway? How did this misconception come to be?

7. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Because nobody has faith in AMD anymore...

8. htpcfan

htpcfan Member

looks nice, but need more details so we know the case size etc. I had to google the case to find that out. Not a lot of point about posting about a mini PC build if you don't list it's physical size.

9. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

youd have to wait for the full non promo for that?
    This post was about an AMD sponsored build, not a small case.

10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Because it does, throttles more severely than the gtx970 mini which is it's only real competitor (even if it is a bit slower). Linus techtips did a comparo not long ago

11. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

I own one, in an ML08, it does not thermal throttle at all, even with the top of the case (standing upright) getting way too hot to touch.

If you do decide to cover up the whole side like orange tech tips did (what kind of case has no intake and no exhaust for a gpu?), maybe you should increase the fan speed above 65% which is where the default fan curve stops.

The stock fan is good for 1100MHz+, the only issue is the POWER limit of +50% is not enough juice for it to maintain those clocks. It needs to be allowed to use more juice. The Fury X could've shipped with this air cooler and it wouldn't thermal throttle.

If you don't own one, you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

lol okay man...

13. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

I'm just sick and tired of people making misleading comments.
    If LTT had let the fan ramp up above 65% it wouldn't have thermal throttled in such an unrealistic situation.

When playing with a Nano, the general order is as follows:

at stock you reach the power target,
    so you increase the power target to +50%
    then you find that you still hit the power target but the GPU still doesn't do a 1000MHz anyway.
    But,
    you can still up the clock so 1100Mhz+ for the times when the GPU is not power limited (like the first half of firestrike),
    but you will find by the end of firestrke you might hit the fans limit of 65% this is the FIRST TIME you reach thermal throttle,
    so you increase the fans limit to 100%,
    and you never hit thermal throttle
    Finally if you want to play a balancing game with the power limit, you can increase the HBM clock around 20-50Mhz but it's a give or take game, more gpu, less ram etc.

14. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Don't ever let the facts get in the way of some good old fashioned vitriolic company bashing! :lol:

STUdog, what CPU in the build? Any benches?