NAS Home Media Help needed !

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by hurt_and_vurtue, May 31, 2019.

1. hurt_and_vurtue

hurt_and_vurtue Member

i have recently bought a QNAP TS-453Be and to replace my built in raid card and hard drive array.

im having significant issues trying to work out how to set it up as far as home theatre goes

id like to use the NAS for a few different uses

firstly id like to connect it to either my WDTV or my Raspberry Pi (Kodi) and have either of those play the file that is stored on the NAS (as opposed to having the nas send out the video via HDMI)

id also like public users to be able to access the nas files via the router it is plugged into (TP link Archer D7)

how do i set it up ??

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't know how to hook up the WDTV, but I'm familiar with Kodi (it's what I use). In Kodi, you need to add the location of your files (the NAS' IP address and then the folders containing TV or Movies or whatever) as sources. Go to Videos, then files, then "add videos" to add the folders containing your files. Set the content for each folder, and then scan to library.

You need to set permissions for each of the shared folders. It should ask what permissions you want when you create the folder.

3. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

Are the “public users” just accessing media files on the NAS? It may be worth looking into running something like Plex Media Server.

There’s a Kodi addon for it also.

4. OP
    OP
    hurt_and_vurtue

hurt_and_vurtue Member

Yes t
    Thats all they need it for, I didn’t see the benefit of plex over kodi, but I definitely don’t want them streaming the files, I’d much prefer they copy them onto their own device so it doesn’t slow down my use of the nas

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Accessing them using Kodi doesn't stream them. They are accessed/opened by the local Kodi application, it is the client computer doing the work, not the NAS.
    If you just want to let them download, then just set up their file station access and tell them not to set up the media sources in kodi
    https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tuto...se-file-station-to-manage-files-on-a-qnap-nas

6. money_killer

money_killer Member

i got a qnap ts451 streams to my 5 mibox's which i run kodi on to acess all my media no drams. ftp shared path that i added folders to in kodi.

7. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

When you say public users are you talking about users outside your network?

If so you really should look at Plex. It's the best option for that. And it can still be used with your existing Kodi clients.