NAS or enclosure with built in Wi-Fi (direct connect via phone/laptop when onthe run)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by ohfor88smiley, Jul 17, 2017.

1. ohfor88smiley

ohfor88smiley Member

do 1 or 2 bay NAS's or 3.5" enclosure's with built in Wi-Fi exist that you can direct connect via phone or laptop with out being connected to a home network ?

i can find lots of them for 2.5" drives but not a NAS or 3.5" enclosure!

it would be very handy in a 1bay or 2bay setup as cables defeat the purpose of phones, tablets and laptops when you are on the move and 2.5" drives are very limited in capacity

all i could find in 3.5" was "Synology's DS213air" thats over 5yrs old

if any one has any ideas or know of some thing post away

thanks

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

From experience any current Synology NAS with a USB port will let you plug in a WIFI adaptor and give you the wifi functionality.

3. OP
    OP
    ohfor88smiley

ohfor88smiley Member

maybe i am confused as from what i understood was that the wifi was to connects the nas to a LAN via a AP.
    or
    the NAS via RJ45 and use wifi like a AP for when your router did not have wifi so other devices can access the net

cool so you are saying can access the files on the NAS via wifi with out the nas connected to the LAN or internet ? (only plugged in to power?

4. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Once the WIFI adaptor is plugged into the USB port, the native APP inside the Synology NAS lets you choose what you want to do with it.

You can have it connected to a exiesting WIFI network or you can set it up as a stand alone router/ap.

5. akashra

akashra Member

It doesn't make a great deal of sense to put this in to hardware in a unified device when so many other viable options are available off the shelf giving the user choice of the method, technology and devices used for implementation.

You would be better off using the second ethernet port to connect directly to a bridge, or to use a USB device directly connected to the device, or to simply rely on any border router providing that second connection.