1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

nas question

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by philquad, Jul 30, 2017.

1. philquad

philquad Member

hi

if i wanted to setup someone with a nas for backup\file security

should they work with the files directly on the nas or just use it to backup

i guess the later as working off the nas doesnt change anything, right?

basicly he has 100's gigs of design files floating all over in old usb drives, 2.5 inch usb, old internal drives, i can see bit drama coming in the future

2. McRutch

McRutch Member

it could change the security.. if he's using a computer with multiple users, having the files on the NAS could be better at restricting access..

but working directly off the NAS wouldn't add any "real" level of backup..

3. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

NAS is not a backup in itself, although you can setup user level access so users can see their own files but not each others (and the boss can see all of them) or read only rights or any combination.

A multi drive NAS running RAID 1/5/6/10 would give them up with protection from a HDD failure, but still isn't a backup.

You could also add in a single large USB HDD on connected to the NAS backing everything up live to give you one level of backup. If the stuff is important it's worth adding in a second USB HDD and swapping them over once a week (which then gives you an offsite backup too). It would be better if you could automate this over the internet (since manual tasks tend to be forgotten) but how feasible that depends on how much data you have... although if it's important enough you can afford it.

4. decryption

decryption Member

Consolidate everything onto a single HDD/RAID set on the desktop PC, then back it all up to the NAS. The built-in backup feature in Windows 10 is fine.

Don't forget the 3-2-1 rule:

3 copies of the file
    2 different types of media
    1 copy offsite

5. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

ok

its only 1 user, 1 computer
    & lots of files are only stored not used
    so i might go with internal copy & usb backup

what sort of frequency do you suggest, daily?
    i normally use this AOMEI Backupper
    easy to use & i use incredimental? backup