1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

National Photographic Competition from the Department of Regional Australia

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by My Region, Jun 9, 2011.

1. My Region

My Region New Member

My name is Irene and I work for the Department of Regional Australia, Regional Development and Local Government.
    Last Monday, we launched the myregion National Photographic Competition, inviting Australians to submit ‘Images of Australia’ taken over the past year that showcase the people, places, wildlife, landscapes and nature that make their communities unique.

As a photoblogger, we’d like to encourage you to consider entering the competition at http://myregion.strutta.com

We would also appreciate if you would tell your readers about the competition.

Here’s some key details you may choose to mention:
    • The National Photographic Competition is being run by the Department of Regional Australia, Regional Development and Local Government (www.regional.gov.au).
    • The competition launched on 30 May 2011 and closes on 26 June 2011.
    • Entries are invited in five categories – people, places, wildlife, landscapes and nature.
    • The competition will be judged by,
    Australian award-winning photographer Steve Parish OAM
    Australian actor Deborah Mailman
    ABC TV’s Art Nation host Fenella Kernebone
    Photo Review managing editor Don Norris.
    • There will also be a peoples’ choice winner decided by popular vote.
    • Competition winners are eligible for prizes including vouchers for photographic equipment, photographic software and magazine subscriptions. One student winner will be invited to join Steve Parish on a photo workshop.
    • Winning entries will be exhibited at the National Film and Sound Archive in Canberra in July and selected images will also feature in Steve Parish Publishing’s product range, and a Photo Review editorial spread.

For more information, please email contactus@myregion.gov.au, follow us at @myregiongovau or visit the competition website.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. Craggles

Craggles Member

editting now

3. deepspring

deepspring Member

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  4. dean_is_not

dean_is_not Member

5. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

6. xishnik

xishnik Member

why is it that one has to have facebook account for everything these days :(

7. OzShadow

OzShadow Member

i would take a carefull reading though the rules before i would enter into this contest (Rules Link)

The part you would want to read is part 6

8. jumpy

jumpy Member

Thanks for the heads up, won't be entering. So many comps are like this. T&C's are always worth reading.

9. Sprinker

Sprinker Member

Thanks for that. Are all of these comps like this?

10. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Lots are. You just have to read the T&C.

Depends where you are as a photographer tho.. they are non-exclusive rights to them and even in one clause they will pay you $100 per use.

If the image was just destined to fall back to page 60 of your flickr profile anyway, then I dont really see what the issue is.

Of course other people are all about the principal.

11. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Thats per photo used the way I read it so if it was a cracker photo they could use it in many different media at different times for just the $100 usage fee ( per image ).

If you're not a student ( and therefore ineligable for the Steve Parish workshop ) I dont think the prizes are all that attractive

The Value of a Magazine or book are only really "relevant" if you normally would have purchased those anyway.

Adobe Photoshop elements 9 I guess you could sell as most photographers will already have Lightroom / Aperture or some version of Photoshop CS.

The Print vouchers are probably the best part of the prize pack for non students assuming it is for somewhere that does decent prints.

I'm still in 2 minds as to whether to enter a few photos

P.S. I was a bit curious as to why Clause 6a only was going to credit your FIRST name and location Whereas clause 6d was going to Credit your FULL name

Is this referring to Photoshop elements 9 ?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  12. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Is it just me or are the rules a little ambiguous, to me its not clear on whether its only the winners that are effectively giving them their photos to use, or whether its all entries.

13. Deftone2k

It is fairly.. its designed around the fact that most people would go ooooh competition and not even read the T&C.

14. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

I have ended up submitting a handfull. Their use is non exclusive so It cant hurt ( unless you plan on selling them at some other time as limited edition "fine art" )

15. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Anyone heard anything more regarding the outcome

Judging round was supposed to end on July 3rd but there have been no updates/posts on their website. :shock:

16. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Went looking about a week ago, didn't see anything... I can't work out where they're announcing the results either.

Maybe if the OP isn't subscribed to this thread it would be worth someone pm-ing them to ask for an update?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  17. OP
    OP
    My Region

My Region New Member

National Photographic Competition from the Department of Regional Australia - update

Hi this is Irene from the Department of Regional Australia, Regional Development and Local Government.

In response to the comments above, public voting ended on 3 July, however the judging panel are still considering entries. The judging has taken a little longer than expected due to the large response to the competition - over 2,200 entries.

Winners will be publicly announced on 26 July.

We'll announce them via Twitter as well if you're following us: @myregiongovau

18. kit_frisk

kit_frisk Member

19. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Some of the winners are very underwhelming.. or is just me? :confused:

20. Deftone2k

It's like that with most competitions unfortunately.