1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Natural Selection 2

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by glimmerman, May 28, 2009.

1. SuperBeast

SuperBeast Member

Hmm, all this talk is making me more excited for this. I got a bit 'meh' about it after pre-ordering years ago (Just looked it up - May 2009!) and then the initial Alpha being pretty average (Chugged like a mofo).

But NS1 was easily some of the best online gaming I've ever had, if this can reproduce or even improve on it at all, it should be great fun!

2. WackOh

WackOh Member

Been playing a bit for the past couple of months, and the improvements to performance and gameplay especially in the last 2 builds are amazing, ive had quite exciting games in the last 2 days when the latest build was out.

Performance is perfect for me now compared to just a couple of weeks ago when I would get below 20 fps when too many structures are on the map, let alone getting into combat.

3. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

Why no preload???

Can't remember having played the first but this looks good :thumbup:

4. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

The first NS was just a free mod for Half life 1....

This game was announced around the same time Half life 2 was coming out and it would be using the half life 2 source engine.. like counter strike .. in the end they went another direction and completely moved away from Half life 2.. now the finished product looks great.. hope i get the same awesome gameplay as i used to have in NS1

5. weznagwama

weznagwama Member

This game is extremely fun. I cannot wait until I am good enough to be commander :)

6. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

I remember being commander in the first game probably in 200 games+ .. we used to win every time i was.. :)

7. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

3 hours now. Too bad about having to work :upset:

8. Active Snail

Active Snail Member

Yeah and you played for ages, you were in it pretty much until the end despite NSPlayer.net going down, then ausns.com going down again :D You and a few others (mR_fLaK, kal, PS_Mouse etc) all got points for trying lol. NS2 is going to be awesome, i sure hope my PC is ready to go because i havent tried it out yet.

9. user5124

user5124 Member

I have a fairly beastly machine (ivy bridge quad core, gtx 670) and this game performs terribly. AAA titles generally run like silk, but not this. This runs terribly.

Which is sad, because it's a good game.

10. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Anyone else had performance issues?

It could be an isolated case or something to do with the settings...

11. Orphan

Orphan Member

My computer is pretty old and crappy, I had serious issues even 6 months ago with playability but in the last couple of patches it has gone from unplayable to smooth and rarely any issues. Seems that his settings are too high or something specific to his rig.

Has anyone else received Natural Selection 2 on steam as a gift? I haven't logged on in a couple weeks and found I have an extra copy of NS2 for some reason. A little message popped up and a it is in a green boarder saying new but I have nfi where it came from.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  12. miffu

miffu Member

Not isolated at all, the game is poorly optimized and very CPU intensive which is a shame, hopefully they take care of it soon..

13. SmEaGoLLuM!

SmEaGoLLuM! Member

If you preordered the game before the steam sale or were in the beta you should receive an extra free standard edition copy of the game.

14. exile69

exile69 Member

I get playable FPS (40-70) with the occasional dip down to 20-30 with an E8500 and HD6950. Does this game make use of >2 cores properly?

15. weznagwama

weznagwama Member

Im on a i7 3770 with a Radeon 6950, 16gb ram, intel 520s SSD and the game runs absolutely flawlessly.

16. user5124

user5124 Member

It's a well known CPU consumption problem caused by the scripting engine in place and the usage of it.

If you've got a 120hz monitor, you'll spot that most AAA titles run at 90-120 FPS on a system like mine, whereas NS will dip from 30-50. Pretty good frames, but not great considering the hardware.

17. kabab

kabab Member

I got an i7 950 with a 670 i get like 50-100fps

It's the top selling game on steam currently!

18. siraXLe

siraXLe Member

Peppermint who? Peppermint what? Peppermint Nightmare!!

19. Toranova

Toranova Member

Anyone else having a really tough time downloading this game?

Barely getting anything on any of our Australian steam servers. Tried NSW, NSW Telstra, NSW Internode & a Victorian steam server. Zero luck.

20. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

LOL. ahem.

Anywho, I'm not sure I wholly agree with the 'game is poorly optimised' comments. The nature of the engine has its drawbacks yes, this is not in question.

However, I go alright when I play on my i5 750@3.5 with a 48701GB. Srs, no joke. I play 1600x900 because I'm clearly fill / gpu limited. I usually have very playable framerates, usually in the 40-70 zone with some occasional peaks and troughs according to scene complexity.

In the past 4-5 builds the game performance on the client and server has increased dramatically. This surprised me given the engine devs experience/history.

I think a modern quad-core/gpu would give extremely good performance at common resolutions and levels of fidelity. CPU does seem to be the bottleneck at this time.

Also, I have a gift copy. First picture of nipple with NS2 and your username name written on it posted in thread gets it.

...Let's move out!