NBN Data point question

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Warface, May 26, 2019.

1. Warface

Warface Member

Hey guys, i'm a noob at this, I have NBN FTTP @100mbs, I have one data point in the lounge which is plugged in the tele for Netflix. Question is? Can I share this data point into 2, for example, use the same port for the tv and plug a dual plug in to share the connection? If that makes sense 1 point becomes 2 ?

Cheers.

2. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Well yes you can, specifically what you need to do depends how you've got it set up currently. Have you got a router plugged into the nbn connection, and this loungeroom data point connected to the router? Or is it all going directly into the ONT (NBNCo's box)?

As long as you're using a router, a cheap ethernet switch is all you need. I use these for that kind of minor switch job.

If on the other hand the tv is currently plugged directly into the ONT, you'll need a router.

3. OP
    OP
    Warface

Warface Member

4. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

If you dont have a router between the ONT (the thing the fibreoptic cable goes into) and everything else, you'll need one first. The FTTP ONT doesnt do any routing or NAT, which is what lets multiple devices on your home network access the internet through the same connection. But yes, the switch you've linked will do fine in the lounge room

5. OP
    OP
    Warface

Warface Member

Yep the NBN box on the wall plugs into another modem thing right next to it then I have the modem in the house where they all plug back to.

Thanks for you're replies too.

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

If you buy one of those lan splitter things make sure you have a matching pair... and not a phone one... and a lan one

7. OP
    OP
    Warface

Warface Member

Thanks for all your help guys, I bought the TP link one in Quadbox's post, I got Officeworks to price match so got it for $26 works like a charm.

chip likes this.