nbn fixed wireless - now slow, tower or isp?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by datfreak, Oct 10, 2017.

1. datfreak

datfreak Member

Hi, a quick question. My 25/5 fixed wireless nbn has been perfectly reliable for years now but in the last 2 weeks the speeds in peak times (after 5)have dropped to a unusable .9-1.3 mbps.
    Ive reported this to internode a few days ago but I havn't heard back as yet.
    Is there a way of checking if the problem is the tower itself or a ISP limit?

I want to know if changing isp will help - a plus with other isps is they offer the faster 50/20 plans that internode hasn't as yet.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. caspian

caspian Member

as a user, the only way of doing so is being able to directly compare two services. so you'd need to get a second service from another ISP provisioned to your premises, or talk to a nearby neighbour on the same tower who uses a different ISP.

you also need to ensure your connection ends up on a different CVC, for instance as you're using Internode now, there is no point using iiNet or TPG as a comparison. ideally you pick an ISP which is a direct NBN RSP you you understand that relationship.

the other problem is that just because you get similar results, that is not a conclusive result - there's no guarantee the second ISP doesn't have much the same issues, if the problem is indeed CVC congestion.

personally I would wait to see what Internode come back with, if it is NBN's fault then I expect they will relay that quite clearly.

3. OP
    OP
    datfreak

datfreak Member

Thanks Caspian(again :lol:) Internode did finally get back to me and requested am and pm multiple speed tests... but by this time(after nearly 2 weeks of poor/no pm service) it was fixed anyway.
    I'm still wanting to upgrade to 50/20 which internode claim they will be adding to their plans soon - if not ill be shopping around for another isp.

4. caspian

caspian Member

yes, I've seen the sort of troubleshooting that some service providers request be done. nothing in there is irrelevant as such, but it depends on the circumstances how much of the user's time it is wasting just to cover every possible eventuality, before the ISP will even accept the escalation.

so it was ultimately CVC congestion, because if it was NBN's fault the ISP would have been very quick to blame them (and fair enough if so), and nothing else would have gotten resolved in that time frame.

5. OP
    OP
    datfreak

datfreak Member

This issue has returned. Full speed 25 in the early morning and down to 1-6 after 5pm. I can't play Pugb at night as it chugs ;(

Is there any point complaining to Internode, or is every one in the same boat so there is no point?

Aussie broadband have a good price on 50/20 (im 25/5 now) - but im concerned that that speed is only theory and I'll have the same craptactula results as Im getting now.

6. caspian

caspian Member

it's always worth logging a fault to see what the reason is, but realistically if the slow speeds align with typical rush hour then it's network congestion. school's out, remember.

any speed tier is a peak information rate, not a guarantee you will get it. if Internode say NBN network congestion is to blame then churning isn't going to make any difference to performance. until they come up with a plan to considerably improve the bandwidth per cell the issue is unlikely to change much.

datfreak likes this.
  7. Copie

Copie Member

Though there is issues with tower congestion currently even the ceo of aussiebb is encountering it

datfreak likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    datfreak

datfreak Member

Thanks guys for your inputs, Ive done another ticket with internode and wait to see what they come back with.

I understand peak speed is theory and usually unobtainable but Im paying for a service that doesn't work when I need it. If it was 20-30% slower in peak I'd be understanding but at 96% below the rated speed is beyond reason.

9. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Have you checked to see if you can 'upgrade' to their 50/20 plan?

TPG/iiNet/Internode no longer offer the 25/12 plans. Depending on the conditions of your current plan, you should be able to switch to the 50/20 for free.

10. OP
    OP
    datfreak

datfreak Member

So ive now got Internode (on 25/5 plan) and Aussie broadband(50/20) connected.
    Its interesting that both can be enabled at the same time.

Switching between the different ports the results are:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6898744409
    aussie broadband @ 6.12mbps/8.4

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6898757252
    internode @ 7.58mbps/3.6

This is a relativity good speed for this time at night as a often get less than 1.
    Will be good to redo this test in the non peak times

So yep - its crap but not the ISP fault.

Is there any hope of this improving soon?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  11. Copie

Copie Member

Yep that’s tower congestion, not much can be done other then getting your RSP to keep lodging faults with nbn in the hope they upgrade the tower.

It’s not that uncommon from what I’ve read

datfreak likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    datfreak

datfreak Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  13. caspian

caspian Member

I did some research yesterday and apparently the current solution is to add 3.4GHz cells to the existing towers, thus providing increased local bandwidth. not everyone will be upgraded, some users will remain on the existing 2.3GHz spectrum which will have been deloaded. users who are moved to the new cells will require an WNTD swapover.

I don't have a timeline for this, sorry. well outside my area of operations.

datfreak likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    datfreak

datfreak Member

Now I have 2 isps I can whinge to ;) Hopefully this won't take too long to correct.

Cheers - at least there is some tunnel light.
    I'd guess with the WNTD change and freq addition, that eventually nbn could offer faster then 50/20 FW plans? :lol: in the long term (when current congestion issues are sorted) of course.

15. caspian

caspian Member

16. koopz

koopz Member

urgh NBN 4G...

go next door and do a speed test with your neighbors.

there are so many ways a UHF wifi connection can be disrupted.

17. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

CEO of aussiebb broadband, like that matters lol, as if that would matter on decision making on a junior nbn helpdesk/techinician or anyone at all in Australian Internet world.

18. Copie

Copie Member

Considering he can crank the CVC provision at his POI and he is still getting tower congestion shows that there is evidence of it.

And he has a lot more sway then you think given how big the company is now.

19. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Bahahhahha, I doubt he has more sway, than my assistant.

20. Copie

Copie Member

4th biggest RSP in the country. Just sayin.