NBN FTTC 100/20 - Upload Speeds Throttled? Upload Speed Decreased

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Do It Yourself, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Member

I had Telstra NBN FTTC installed about 2 months ago. Everything was great and every time I checked speed test I was getting 100mbps download and 18mbps upload speeds constantly.

It’s been awhile since I checked my speeds but I randomly checked it at 2am in the morning and was surprised at my upload speed being decreased more than half. I even restarted NCD/modem and checked speeds throughout the day to see if anything changes but still the same issue.
    100mbps download and 5mbps upload speed.

Does anyone know why the sudden drop in upload speed? Am I being throttled to my old cable plan? Is there a way to fix this as this is not what I am paying for at all?

2. bucket23

bucket23 Member

You are not being throttled because of a your previs cable plan.

Ask Twlstra why they aren't providing the speeds you think u should get.

3. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

On FTTC it could be anything. Could be that water got into the connections, could be that someone got their connection next door and it's interfering. You will be on a traffic class 4 best effort which on FTTC which I'm fairly sure has no minimum upload speed so Telstra will likely just say "you're getting 100 down and 5 up there's nothing wrong".

4. OP
    OP
    Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Member

Well they can’t say that because I have got 18mbps upload speed for 2 months straight when I first joined. Only a couple days ago the upload speeds is 5mbps and I have checked the speeds at all times of the day and night (even at 2am) and still getting 5mbps upload speed. I did not join to their plan for these speeds.

- Has anybody had similar problem or have an idea what it can be?

- What would be the best way to get this issue resolved the quickest? I will contact Telstra but we all know how slow of a process that will be. If anyone know of a process to get things done quicker please let me know. Or should I goto TIO if they start messing me around?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  5. bucket23

bucket23 Member

Sounds like a Telstra issue. Contac them for a resolution.

6. caspian

caspian Member

why are you using Telstra if you acknowledge beforehand that their support will be poor when required?

unfortunately having made that bed, you now need to lie in it. your only recourse is to contact Telstra as your RSP and work your way through the process. the first thing they should be doing is running a SLD test and determining how the DSL link is running.

yes you can engage the TIO if Telstra are not resolving your issue within a reasonable period of time, but the expectation is that you go through the process with Telstra and give an opportunity to do so.

the minimum acceptable performance for FTTC is 50/20 as of the latest iteration of the NBN WBA. (unless, of course, if you order a slower service speed.)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    macktheknife likes this.
  7. Hive

Hive Member

Telstra is crap

Get a better provider

8. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Ah. I went looking and all I could find was the download minimum.

9. caspian

caspian Member

macktheknife likes this.
  10. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

pm me your username and i'll run a test on it

11. OP
    OP
    Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Member

what username do you need?

12. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

your @bigpond.com address.. or your 2000 account number, or your address

13. caspian

caspian Member

or just send me the service address and I'll do it.

Hive likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Member

Sorry for late reply had been away. Check your PM and let me know how it goes.